Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #15

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassalley52
Having lived in that part of Virginia, there isn't a lot for kids to do that is affordable in a relatively depressed area. As long as its only noise, let them have fun.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassalley52
Having lived in that part of Virginia, there isn't a lot for kids to do that is affordable in a relatively depressed area. As long as its only noise, let them have fun.
I never lived there, but I've traveled enough to know places like that. The kids are being kids, and did nothing wrong. My feeling is, it's a free place to park, you get what you pay for.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
That is precisely why I stay in campgrounds/rv parks. I figure if I can afford the motor home and fuel for it, I can PAY for a campground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Sorry but I can't help but think: You parked there for FREE, what the heck do you expect? Then you complain that Walmart doesn't keep the parking lot up to your expectations? If it was that bad, couldn't you cal 911?

Pay for a campground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
So funny. Here is a guy driving a fancy DP with a brand new dinghy complaining that the free camping in some scuzzy parking lot does not meet his expectations. What nerve. Go to a campground, support a business owner.
I'm with them. Pay for a campground.
If you're parking free in someone elses property, you have zero room for complaint. You don't like it, crank it up and go squat somewhere else.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:31 PM   #18

My better judgement is telling me not to reply.... but what the heck.

Apparently, my original post was unintentionally offensive to some folks. For that I apologize. I may be digging a deeper hole for myself, but let me try to calrify a couple of points.

* my intention was not to complain about Walmart. I appreciate that they permit travellers to overnight (not camp). Since staying over at Walmart is new to us, I was asking if this is typical activity at Walmarts. If so, I can decide to either deal with it or make other arrangments. I like kids. I used to be one. I have kids... even grandkids!

* I didn't plan to stay at Walmart to save a few bucks, or to keep the campgrounds from making a buck. It was purely a matter of convenience. Travel til dark, jump off the interstate, replenish supplies at Walmart, get some sleep (not camping), and jump back on the interstate. I really wanted to condense my travel time without having to seek out a campground well off the beaten path. I work very long, hard hours and have all my life which is how I am able to afford that "fancy DP and new dinghy". No apologies there.

* I do sincerely appreciate all of the thoughtful feedback from folks such as experiencing the diverse activities and the diverse people while on the road, getting to know how folks live life in different regions of the country, remembering that kids are kids and they need places to hang. I get it ...and I can appreciate it.

So, for those that think I'm just a cheapskate and that I have "nerve", and I should go squat elsewhere and support a business..... all I can say is that you are wrong. It's not at all about money. If you knew me you would not make that judgement. The typed conversation is so often misunderstood given the lack of tone, poor choice of words, back and forth dialogue, etc. Sadly, I think it's best if I begin thinking about this site as a "read only" resource.

Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter

Apparently, my original post was unintentionally offensive to some folks. For that I apologize. I may be digging a deeper hole for myself, but let me try to calrify a couple of points.

* my intention was not to complain about Walmart. I appreciate that they permit travellers to overnight (not camp). Since staying over at Walmart is new to us, I was asking if this is typical activity at Walmarts. If so, I can decide to either deal with it or make other arrangments. I like kids. I used to be one. I have kids... even grandkids!

* I didn't plan to stay at Walmart to save a few bucks, or to keep the campgrounds from making a buck. It was purely a matter of convenience. Travel til dark, jump off the interstate, replenish supplies at Walmart, get some sleep (not camping), and jump back on the interstate. I really wanted to condense my travel time without having to seek out a campground well off the beaten path. I work very long, hard hours and have all my life which is how I am able to afford that "fancy DP and new dinghy". No apologies there.

* I do sincerely appreciate all of the thoughtful feedback from folks such as experiencing the diverse activities and the diverse people while on the road, getting to know how folks live life in different regions of the country, remembering that kids are kids and they need places to hang. I get it ...and I can appreciate it.

So, for those that think I'm just a cheapskate and that I have "nerve", and I should go squat elsewhere and support a business..... all I can say is that you are wrong. It's not at all about money. If you knew me you would not make that judgement. The typed conversation is so often misunderstood given the lack of tone, poor choice of words, back and forth dialogue, etc. Sadly, I think it's best if I begin thinking about this site as a "read only" resource.

Joopy
All is well, you were inquisitive about what to expect. Like you said sometimes type is interpreted different by others when after reading everyone's comments you were not complaining just inquisitive and learning and building friends.
May the Lord bless you. Enjoy.
Jesus Luvs ya!!
MasterTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
When I was a teen (well before Walmart) we hung out at the drive in burger joints doing burn outs and playing loud music. Seems somethings never really change.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
At least the kids went away, some of the RVs had there generators running all night!
I assume that's a "tongue in cheek" comment meant for humor?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:33 AM   #22

I know what the original poster meant. We will stay at WM sometimes for convenience also. I really don't like going off the beaten path in the dark, not knowing the road, seeking out a campground, only to arrive at a campground and having to navigate to your site in the dark. Would be great if we only had to do 300 mile, 6 hr days, but most of our traveling unfortunately consists of 600 mile 12 hr. " hurry up to get here" days. That's one of the drawbacks of living on the extreme east coast.
Plus for us staying at a WM does not come free as we always go into the store and purchase items, sometimes whether we need them or not just to patronize their store.

Anyway, what is a burn-out? OMG , am I showing my age, which isn't THAT old, or my naively growing up?
Sumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:07 AM   #23

I think the key word here is in both instances it was Friday night. Probably Mon- Thu night would have been quiet. We have three Super Walmarts here where we live and I know for a fact that one I would never stay at any night of the week! You get what you pay for.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:28 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Sadly, I think it's best if I begin thinking about this site as a "read only" resource.

Joopy
Please don't take offense, we will all benefit from your participation. Just remember that there are some on this board that were born without a funny bone and some that were born without any awareness that other people have different motivations than they do. These few people are good humor challenged and should be stood up to on occasion, but ignored most of the time.
CapnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #25

I will always find a campground of some type, and not put up with what ever is at Walmart. When I can not afford $30 I sell the bus.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #26

Larry you are missing the whole point. No one is saying they cannot afford to stay at a campground.
But let's not get off topic for the op.
I think everything has been said regarding this topic.
Hopefully Jupiter didn't get scared away.
Sumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #27

I've rarely stayed at a WM, it's seems the only times it was going to be convenient, it was in an area where overnig-hting in the WM was not permitted. This seems to be a growing trend.

I usually ended up staying at a Cracker Barrel, just as bad, between the dumpster being emptied at 3 or 4am and the delivery trucks, it still wasn't a quiet night.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Amazing that someone "camping" in a Walmart parking lot is complaining that other people in the parking lot are loud! Get a campsite at a local campground!

A poster on another Forum was mad that some cars are parked in the "RV sites" at Cracker Barrel and threw a fit to the manager!

Get a grip people!
MntDriver is offline   Reply With Quote