Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2015, 07:54 AM   #1

Wall, SD - Parking and getting around with a TT

I am planning on traveling through Wall, SD and would like to stop for food, souvenirs, etc.

I am new to traveling with a 30' trailer, so my question is how do you guys scope out areas to park, routes through a town, etc and more specifically, does anyone have any experience doing this in Wall? Thanks for your help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2015, 08:05 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
As I recall Wall had several areas for RV Parking. I do remember staying at a campground within walking distance of all that Wall had to offer. We unhooked the toad and made a loop drive tru the Badlands from there.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:04 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We just went though there. Right downtown, just kitty-corner to the main street and the Drug Store, there is a large pull-through gravel lot designated for RVs. Couldn't be easier. Follow the signs and you will find it. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 09:58 AM   #4

We managed to find enough space to park at what passes for super market last year. There is a decent campground with all pull ins within walking distance of everything.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I am planning on traveling through Wall, SD and would like to stop for food, souvenirs, etc.

I am new to traveling with a 30' trailer, so my question is how do you guys scope out areas to park, routes through a town, etc and more specifically, does anyone have any experience doing this in Wall? Thanks for your help
Thousands of RV's every year visit Wall Drug so the RV's are well taken care of. We used the paved parking lot that is right west of Main Street that Wall Drug is on. The lot is directly behind the stores that are on the west side of the street.

See the attached photo from Google Earth. North is up and Wall Drug store is highlighted in yellow. The RV's parked in the paved lot to the west are very evident and the lot is clearly marked and easy to get to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wall Drug SD.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	84758   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3498.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	324.4 KB
ID:	84759  

Old 01-31-2015, 07:34 PM   #6

Where in the heck is Wall drug? Ha ha, just kidding. A must stop for sure. If your a US Calvary fan, Indian history, a person could stay there all day and read the stuff on the walls. Old pictures also. Very cool.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:15 PM   #7

Great replies, thank you for the help
Old 01-31-2015, 08:52 PM   #8

Ditto to all of the above. As I remember there are two campgrounds within walking distance. Try to spend at least one night in Wall. You must drive through the Badlands if you have never done so. Just past the west entrance is a road to the right. We have never failed to observe bison and a couple of prairie dog villages along that road.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post

To answer the other part of your question, I always use Google Earth to scope out where I am going. That way I can avoid dead ends, undesirable areas, bad roads, and sometimes bad campgrounds, etc.

Street View in Google Earth is very helpful when looking for potential campgrounds, filling stations, rest stops, road conditions, shopping areas, etc. I also use Google Maps for planning out a potential route to travel.

After planning out a route I then input the stopping places into my Garmin GPS. If you input Wall Drug, South Dakota, it will lead you straight to the front door or input the RV parking lot and it will lead you right to the parking area. So far it has worked well for me.

Here's a sample Street View in Google Earth:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Google Street View example.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	84818  
Old 02-02-2015, 06:37 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
We did a two week trip out west to SD from Michigan last July and spent three nights in Sleepy Hollow Campground in Wall, SD while we took in the nearby sights. It was a clean, basic park with all pull throughs.....within walking distance of downtown. Very convenient to the Badlands and underground missile sights. We have a 40' diesel pusher, pulling a jeep wrangler, and had no trouble getting around.