Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #1

We're headed south from Michigan to Florida the beginning of April, and have always found a campground to stay at. This time it's just the husband and I, so we hoped maybe to park our motorhome a few hours for some shut-eye at a Walmart? We've never done that before...and wondered if anyone knows of any near Macon, off 75, that allows that. How do you know if they do or don't allow it at a particular Walmart? Thank you for your help.
SewBzzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #2

We're headed south from Michigan to Florida the beginning of April, and have always found a campground to stay at. This time it's just the husband and I, so we hoped maybe to park our motorhome a few hours for some shut-eye at a Walmart? We've never done that before...and wondered if anyone knows of any near Macon, off 75, that allows that. How do you know if they do or don't allow it at a particular Walmart? Thank you for your help.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My WalMart book shows 5 stores in Macon. My other book shows no restrictions on any of them. Send me a private message and I will send you the info on the 5 stores.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:21 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I stayed at Cordele, GA. Nov. 3nd. Exit 33, turn right, Walmart is 1/4 mile on the right. Other RVs were there. Cordele is the watermelon capital of the world, so they say.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #5

So do you just pull in.....any time of the evening or night.....and park? Do they have any security in their parking lots? Do you park in a certain area of their parking lots? Are you allowed to run your generator, if needed? Thank you!
Old 02-18-2008, 02:44 PM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
When boondocking at Wal*Mart, the etiquette is to park as far away from the store as possible, and as out of the way as possible.

Yes, you can run your generator.

If you are the first one there, it is a good practice to ask permission at any Wal*Mart. If I'm not first, I usually don't ask.

It is also best to look like you're parked, not camped.

That is, no awnings, chairs, grills, etc.

Security is usually not a problem.

I have also parked overnight at the Cordele store.

See THIS POST.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My WalMart book suggests you call the Store Manager and ask about their store policy before arriving. Our local WalMart is supposedly RV friendly but some have reported being asked to leave by security, usually at 3:00 in the morning. Some cities in California have specific restrictions against over night stays in any location other than RV parks. Not sure about other states.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:18 PM   #8

There is a Wal Mart just down I-75. The exit is 136 I believe. We pass it on the way to and from Macon.
chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The easiest way to find the best Walmart for your route is to go to www.walmart.com., click on store locater, and search by zip code. If you don't know the zipcode, google the city and state and zipcode (i.e. macon georgia zipcode). The store locater will give you a map showing all stores within a given radius. We always call each store that we wish to stay overnight at ahead of time and ask if they allow RV parking, and if so, if there is a location in the lot that they would prefer us to park in. Usually by the time we get there, the "camping corner" is well stocked with RV's. I can assure you that this does not save us any money, as I always "need" something from Walmart. We do like it for an overnight stop on long trips, we usually pull in at 7 or 8 p.m., and are out by 7 a.m. We appreciate3 that they are always close to the freeway, and it's always easy in and easy out.

Brenda, of...
Old 02-19-2008, 03:33 AM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
It is usually much easier to call ahead to the Wal*Mart and ask if they're RV friendly.

If you wait until you get there, you may have a long wait in the customer service line only to find out overnighting is not permitted by local ordinance.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote