Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:15 AM   #1
Walnut Creek, CA RV options

Good morning RV'ers. I was approached yesterday about relocating from the Orlando, FL area to the Walnut Creek, CA area for work. For those of you unfamiliar with the area, it's about 45 minutes west of San Francisco. A quick search revealed only one long term camping option which did not have great reviews. I'm looking for a place where I can stay for one to two years as that's the typical length of my projects.

Do any of you have any advice for me on living in this area of the country? I have a 34' Grand Junction, and I’ll need to have it relocated for me. Any ideas on the cheapest was to “safely” move my 5th wheel from Orlando to San Francisco?

JesterJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2016, 01:45 PM   #2

I don't know about long term but for short term you could try the Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton, CA - 20 miles or so south of Walnut Creek.

Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:25 PM   #3
Being from that area originally I can tell you there is not much in the way of Rv parks. We usually stay at Alameda County Fsirgrounds as stated above but is not a solution for long term.
Terry & Alice
2006 Bounder 38L DP
2012 GMC Terrain
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:42 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Are you prepared for the big increase in cost of living? We moved from Calif two years ago. We are natives. You are moving to one of the most expensive places in the US.

Long term parks near there may not exist.
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:44 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We live in Fairfield. In Vacaville, 8 mi. east of us and 42 mi. from Walnut Creek are two RV parks(next to each other), that I think accommodate long term RVers. The drawback to that is if you have to commute to Walnut Creek in the am and return in pm, traffic is not fun M-Saturday.
Barry & Sue Miller(extended RVer's, 6 mos + per/year)
04 Journey 39K, C-7, 330 hp, towing: 02 Dakota 4X or 2013 Ford Edge, Aero 5050XL
doorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:31 PM   #6
As a former long-term Bay Area resident and a frequent visitor, I agree with the above posts. However, I do recall that there were a number of mobile home parks in adjacent areas such as Pleasant Hills, Concord, Clayton and even Walnut Creek. You might do a google search for info on this or contact local Chambers of Commerce for any info they might have. I know of several folks over the years that stayed in motorhomes in these types of facilities in the South Bay with good experiences. If you can find one that caters to primarily seniors and retirees in a good area, that would be helpful. Be a little cautious in some areas of Concord and Clayton (not all).

Like one poster stated, prepare yourself for cost of living sticker shock in considering your move. CA has a hefty state income tax as well as local sales taxes that are killer. And the commuter traffic? Oh....the commuter traffic! Even the weekends are bad anymore. Sigh.....

Best of luck. If you can handle the things mentioned and can find the right place to hunker down in for a couple of years, you will likely love the experience. It is, afterall, a pretty neat place....
2003 Fleetwood Revolution DP
HeapBigEngin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:14 AM   #7
Thank you all for your feedback. I'm aware of the cost of living increase and so is my employer. There will be compensation commensurate with the CO difference. I just need to find a nice long term spot so I'm not moving every few weeks (unless I want to.)

JesterJess is offline   Reply With Quote