Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #1

Walt Dinsey Ft Wilderness Campground

Hi y'all I was just wanting some info on the campground at Walt Disney Ft. Wilderness. Any likes or dislikes or general information is greatly appreciated. We are leaving from South Texas in a week and this will be our first big trip in our new mh. We have been to Disney before and stayed at a resort there but never the campgound so we are just looking for some fun things to do around the campground on our downtime. Thanks all and have a wonderful day!!
summer_reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #2

A really nice campground. Take the boat shuttle to the hotels for starters.
Kunysz513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
We travel across the country every year for the past 11, and stay in lots of great campgrounds. BUT we have never stayed in any we liked more than Ft. Wildnerness!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #4

A tad pricey, but considering the amenities probably worth it. Go for it but be sure to make reservations because it does fill up.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are may be considered "Disney Freaks". We have been going to WDW since in opened in the 70's, and have stayed at Ft. Wilderness many times over the years in both our previous 5th wheel and now with the motor home. The campground is an experience in itself and with all there is to do in and around Ft. Wilderness, one could spend the entire time there and not visit the theme parks!! One drawback, in addition to the cost of a campsite, is that when the park was constructed, most RV's were much smaller than today's larger and more massive motor homes, trailers and fivers. Getting into and out some of the sites can be a challenge, particularly if you are backing a large RV into site is on the apex of one of the loops. All the campsites are constructed on a circular design and all are back-ins - no pull throughs. To Disney's credit, they have built some additional premium sites (more expensive), but easier to get into and out of than in the older sections. Also, much of the undergrowth has been thinned out to provide more room for slideouts, so they don't hit trees, etc. There is a new dog run that is fenced and easily accessed, and this gets plenty of usage during the day. Finally, I would have to say that the holidays require advance planning and reservations, as well as more patience, as the campground and the theme parks are usually quite crowded. However, once you experience Christmas season at Ft. Wilderness with all the decorated RV's and the many seasonal activities, you will return time and again. Have a happy and enjoyable stay at WDW, and report back on your experience!!

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #6

We stayed at Ft Wilderness last summer with three kids. Have stayed in some very nice and somewhat pricey RV resorts before and since. We did not feel that we got the bang for the buck at Ft Wilderness. There was a convenience factor for sure but overall just too pricey. If we ever go back to Disney World, we would stay at one of the other RV resorts off property. Also, DO NOT buy the "prepaid" meals, no matter how they try and sell it. It was not worth the price at all and very restrictive. Sorry to be such a negative ,but for us was a pretty big disappointment. We traveled from Scottsdale AZ, 3300 miles stayed in several parks on that trip and honestly that was the biggest disappointment was our stay at Ft Wilderness.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
have stayed there in popups, travel trailer and motorhomes. We love it. Is it pricey? You bet. Is it worth it? Every penny. Make sure you bring the bikes. We rode 52 miles on bikes at our last visit. Plan a couple of days in between to just enjoy the Campground.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #8

I would second Bronks's comment in that along with all the (well-deserved) accolades you will hear about Fort Wilderness note that it can be pretty tight and maneuvering can be pretty challenging for less-experienced drivers and/or larger units. The park is pretty high-density and that is probably the only strike against it, besides the price. You may or may not feel the value is there for the cost but regardless it will end up on your list of 'best parks' and everyone has to try it at least once. You sure can't beat the convenience factor.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have been there 3 times in the last year. I would echo everyone's sentiments. Disney is very expensive and I never truly feel like I got my money's worth, but we always have a great time and we keep coming back, so if you can ignore the money you'll have great fun.

If your MH is less than 30' you can fit in a standard MH site pretty easily. If you are over 38' I would strongly suggest a premium site. Premium sites are more money but much easier to get into and more room around you. The Premium sites also are positioned along the primary bus run and close to the Trading Post, main swimming pool area and the Chip & Dale campfire.

Disney does not let you select your site but you can request a "loop". We prefer the 600 and 1000 loops in the premium area. We have also stayed in the 300 loop in the Standard area.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #10

Thanks y'all for the wonderful information. We have had reservations for a while and have requested a pet friendly premium site and look forward for all that this campground will have to offer us. We are going for a little over 2 weeks and we are beyond thrilled to experience everything.
summer_reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
great park, expensive buy what isn't at disneyland. we found that the best way to get to other parts of the park is to take your toad, much faster and no charge for parking anywhere. enjoyed the review show in the campground.
tom allen
03 camelot
tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:26 AM   #12

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I would rather stay off site and save a few bucks. My dad worked for Disney many years ago and we took the kids there using his passes several times. Since I'm now retired military I could stay at Shades of Green Resort for less money than the Mouse wants for a campsite and get discounted tickets to boot.

The DW and I are a bit old for Disney now anyway.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Too old for Disney? That would be dead.

We've been many times and yes, it is expensive, but its part of the Disney experience we wouldn't miss. I agree, it will be half the time to get to, or back from, other parks by taking the toad (plan on an hour using internal busses), but we know where we're going (a GPS can guide you, but years ago ours took us to the employee entrance of Animal Kingdom, rather than the main entrance). The exception would be the Magic Kingdom. For that you'll hop on a boat right from the campground.

The food plan can be a good deal, if you take the time to learn the parameters and take full advantage, but most of us will spend a lot less left to our own devices. We will usually eat at least one "Disney" meal each day we're there with breakfast in the motorhome and maybe a snack somewhere in the parks. Ft Wilderness is the only resort where the meal plan is not thrown in for free.

If you haven't already, check out this site: All that is Disney

Or: Fort Fiends

There are others, but I don't want to overwhelm you.

Lastly, if you can't have fun at Disney, make a doctor appointment as soon as you get home.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #14
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
We have been visiting Ft. Wilderness since 1989. Loved it then, love it now. We have watched the changes in the campground and enjoyed every upgrade they have made over the 35 camping visits we've made. We have always traveled in a motor home (currently 40 ft.with 4 slides) and since the new premium sites have expanded, we no longer have problems with the site being tight. The cost depends on the "season" of your visit, but we have always considered it part of the vacation. We travel as a couple with no children and there's always soooo much to do at the Fort. It's just a pleasant boat ride to the Magic Kingdom, or to connect to the monorail toward EPCOT. Spend a day resort hopping using Disney transportation. Check out the Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, and the Grand Floridian all by boat. The bus ride to the parks and to get around the campground work out just fine, usually no more than 10 minute wait. No need to rent an expensive golf cart. The dinner buffet at Trails End restaurant at the Fort is a good bang for your buck. When you're finished with dinner ask for a coffee to go. They'll be no charge for that and you can take it to the beach (a very short walk) and watch the fireworks at Magic Kingdom and the Electric Water pagent that goes by the beach every night. Also be sure to call reservations before you leave home and ask if there are any discounts being offered. Sometimes if the campground is not at 100%, they'll take off 10% (AAA works too). Have a great time and enjoy the Disney and Ft. Wilderness campground.

Tags
campground