Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2007, 09:14 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We are set to do a trip from our home state of Ohio to Vermont Aug 11-24. A few weeks ago I made reservations for our time in Vermont. I have heard that the Watkins Glen area of the NY. finger lakes was worth checking out. So checking the website for sites available at the Watkin's Glen State Park I saw that most were filled. So I figured that it must be a race weekend. Looking at the race calender I see that it is a NASCAR Cup race for the Aug 9-12th. So that leaves out stopping there on my way to VT. Will have to see what they have open for a stop on my return trip. Does anyone have an idea of what sites are good. I'm looking for an electric site, semi-level. Any ideas....Thanx....

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2007, 09:14 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We are set to do a trip from our home state of Ohio to Vermont Aug 11-24. A few weeks ago I made reservations for our time in Vermont. I have heard that the Watkins Glen area of the NY. finger lakes was worth checking out. So checking the website for sites available at the Watkin's Glen State Park I saw that most were filled. So I figured that it must be a race weekend. Looking at the race calender I see that it is a NASCAR Cup race for the Aug 9-12th. So that leaves out stopping there on my way to VT. Will have to see what they have open for a stop on my return trip. Does anyone have an idea of what sites are good. I'm looking for an electric site, semi-level. Any ideas....Thanx....

Old 01-14-2007, 04:29 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Superslif, your information "Watkins Glen area of the NY. finger lakes was worth checking out" is correct. However, it is so close to home that it's a day trip for us and I'm not familiar with campgrounds in the area. Here are some alternatives that you are sure to enjoy:

http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/info.asp?parkID=12

http://www.turning-stone.com/lodging/rvpark/

Check out posts in the NorEaster area, we have had two rallies here.

http://www.cooperstownchamber.org/
http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/info.asp?parkID=22

Not sure when the inductions into the Hall of Fame and old timer games are scheduled but like the races at Watkins Glen things get pretty busy during that time also. There are numerous private c/g's in the area too.

If I can help with more information don't hesitate.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:45 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Wow...Turning Stone $60 a night.....I think the most I have ever paid was $45 a night in Myrtle beach. Actually I'm leaning towards a state park. I'm looking to make it a 2 nighter, with some driving around the area to see the sites. If I like the area in the future I'll make it a week long trip. I'll do that on some of our longer trips where I'll make references about places for future trips. I'll drive thru a few state parks or private campgrounds and make notes to nice camp sites. I was just seeing if anyone has stayed at the Watkins Glen State Park and had site preferences for any electric sites.
I just found a brochure for the race course and they do have a NASCAR race Aug 9-12 weekend. That would have been at the beginning of my Vermont trip. I'll have to check to see what they have open as far as electric site on my return trip Aug. 24-26 weekend.
Usually we don't mind if we have electric or not , but on our Vermont trip I have 3 days non-elect, 5 days elect, 5 days non-elect. So the last place were at in Vermont Lake St. Catherines State park will be 5 days without electric. I would like to alternate.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:38 AM   #5

There is only 1 electric loop in Watkins Glen State Park. It is the Mohawk Village, sites 50-105. Sites 105, 103, 102, 101 are very nice (stayed there several times). Most all the sites are pretty nice in this loop.

There is also a KOA in Watkins Glen. Never stayed there, but I understand it has full hookups.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:54 AM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We stayed in Watkins Glen last May for 2 nights in the City owned campground. It was nice with stone sites. The area is truly a nice place to tour. The wine industry has many good tasting stops and gift shops. Restaurant we liked was on the lake looking north and had very good food. As you drive along the roads, water falls come out of the rock formations and are worth stopping to look and take pictures. The drive up to the race track was a surprise as it is up a steep winding road that the MH would not like. Do not miss the walk thru the Gourge, this requires many steps but you will be blown away by the rock formations and water flowing down.
We will be going back for a longer stay.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:50 AM   #7

One more tip for walking the gorge -- during prime season they have a bus which will take you to the top (or back to the bottom). Park your car at the bottom of the gorge and take the bus to the top. -- The walk down the gorge is much easier than the walk up! Many many steps (hard surface). It's well worth the walk, though.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:14 AM   #8
Foz

You may also want to try Clute park which is a village park & campground located at the South end of the lake. Phone (607) 535-4438 to the campground, or the Village offices at (607) 535-2736.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:24 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Thanx Pusherman for the site #'s. I'll check to see if any are open for the aug 24 weekend. The gorge hike you talk about sounds like the one we did in NH. at Franconia Notch a few years ago. Looking forward to it bring it on.....Now are the shower facilities at the Glen?
Old 01-21-2007, 11:38 AM   #10

There are showers in Watkins Glen State park. They clean them daily (as all the NYS parks do).

Have fun! I highly recommend this area, and be sure to walk the Glen (it's free). One of the most beautiful glen's I've been through. You walk under waterfalls and everything.

There are also several wineries you can visit. Most of them are up Rt 14N.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:09 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Thanx again Pusherman. I had checked a month ago and saw that there was a race the weekend of Aug. 10-12 at the Glen. So I was going to see if i could catch a few nights there on my return trip from VT. Aug. 24-26. I just happen to check and noticed one of the sites you gave me was open on Wed. & Thur. nights. Great So I reserved it today. I'll just take a few personnal day off from work and leave on Wed. So this wil give me a 16 night trip with Watkins Glen being at the beginning of my travel. This will work out nicely. With a stop-over at the Glen that will leave only about a 6-7 hour drive to get to the middle of Vermont for our 2nd stop. We do a VT trip about every 3 years. I try to hook it up with another area to make it a 2 week deal.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:52 AM   #12

We'll be there over labor day this year.

Enjoy!