Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2019, 03:43 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We are NOT hikers, so what's to do in Glacier

Hubs and I will be visiting Glacier NP July 20th, moving on to Yellowstone July 26th.

For one reason or another (mainly knees [mine] and hips [his], we are not hikers.

We have Going to the Sun Road (shuttle), the Farmer's Market (on the west side) and a Red Bus tour on our list right now. I have heard of but have not researched yet Wild Goose Island and Two Medicine Lake.

I call myself having perused the many different posts on iRV2 that mention Glacier but other than those attractions listed earlier and driving through the park, the thing I haven't seen that I'm looking for are places and/or things to see and do that do not require a lot of walking or that are pet friendly.

Has anyone visited Glacier under similar circumstances and found something that would help fill our time? Or is the schedule mentioned above pretty full already?

Because we figure this is our one and only RV trip to the Northwest, we would hate to get home and then find out we've missed something really neat.

Thanks.
Micki-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micki-D View Post
Hubs and I will be visiting Glacier NP July 20th, moving on to Yellowstone July 26th.

For one reason or another (mainly knees [mine] and hips [his], we are not hikers.

We have Going to the Sun Road (shuttle), the Farmer's Market (on the west side) and a Red Bus tour on our list right now. I have heard of but have not researched yet Wild Goose Island and Two Medicine Lake.

I call myself having perused the many different posts on iRV2 that mention Glacier but other than those attractions listed earlier and driving through the park, the thing I haven't seen that I'm looking for are places and/or things to see and do that do not require a lot of walking or that are pet friendly.

Has anyone visited Glacier under similar circumstances and found something that would help fill our time? Or is the schedule mentioned above pretty full already?

Because we figure this is our one and only RV trip to the Northwest, we would hate to get home and then find out we've missed something really neat.

Thanks.
A good telephoto lense!! Read the signs only 1/4 mile but on the bottom it mentions a 1/4 mi vertical also! I went with the long lense! LoL!
Old 02-18-2019, 04:16 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Be sure and bring a good pair of binoculars and you may want to purchase a decent spotting scope and tripod. That way if you can't hike far maybe you can at least setup somewhere you can view wildlife through good optics. I am an avid hunter and good optics have saved me from hiking many miles in the west.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:18 PM   #4

You could cut your days and add them somewhere else.

Each national park has a great website with maps, things to do, camping, road information, opening info of Going to the Sun Rd., special alerts, etc. Check it out

https://www.nps.gov/glac/index.htm

First thing - go to Visitor Center and talk to a ranger about easy 'walks' not really hikes. They usually have a movie for an overview of the park. Get a list of Ranger activities - usually very informative with minimal walking

A couple of easy walks:
- from Logan Pass when you take the shuttle - Hidden Lake Overlook
- St. Mary Falls .8 mi
- Trail of the Cedars 1 mi. loop

- rafting trip down the river
- drive to Canadian Glacier from the east side (need a Passport)
- Lake McDonald - rent a motor boat or kayak
- dinner at Belton Chalet - 1 mi. from W. Entrance
- drive around Flathead Lake - it's a loop
- Tour Conrad Mansion in Kalispell
- Glacier Sun Winery in Kalispell
- Great Northern Brewing in Whitefish
- used to be a great pizza place in Whitefish - can't recall the name
- museums in the small towns
- hot air balloon ride
- helicopter tour
- drive Hwy 2 to the Goat Lick Overlook and look for goats

Google the nearby towns for things to do
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:12 PM   #5
ARD

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You could take a drive over to Whitefish to spend the day. It is a cute little down. You can take a ride up in the gondola at Whitefish Mountain Resort for some pretty views. There is a beautiful art gallery there called the Sunti World Art Gallery that is definitely worth visiting.
ARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:12 PM   #6

As someone who has been to both YNP and GNP many times, there is far, far more to see at Yellowstone than Glacier. Unless you are willing and able to hike, you will enjoy your visit to Yellowstone more. The Going to the Sun is awesome with more vertical views than the Grand Canyon. But even the hike from Logan Pass up to the top will be strenuous for folks with bad knees and hips.

There is simply more to see at Yellowstone that is within easy walking distance from the parking lots at the various hot springs, mud pots and geysers. And the amount of wildlife you will see is amazing. I'd cut 1-2 days from your Glacier visit and add them to Yellowstone.
snowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:20 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Micki-D,
In addition to what has been posted there is on the east side:
1. In Browning is The Museum of the Plains Indians. On the east side of GNP you are on the Blackfeet Indian Reservation.
2. Check at the ranger station at the east entrance for:
2a. short flat walks (there are several)
2b. the turnoff for the trail head to Grinnell Glacier. At that turn off there is one of the best steak restaurants you will ever eat at.
3. Many Glacier Hotel has a historic and very large lobby and restaurant. Reserve a table for lunch and time the visit accordingly. You will not be sorry.
4. If you go to https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/index.htm you will find many things to do without hiking.
5. Once a week the local Blackfeet dancers perform at the visitors center. Check with the rangers for day and time.
6. There is a boat cruise around one of the lakes. Take it, very enjoyable.

Been to Glacier many times. My wife can not walk any distance. Therefore, I hike one day and the next day spend with her doing what I suggested and what is in the web site I provided. The ranger station (east side) is the best place to get information. When we go we usually spend two weeks at the park. Never bored and wish we had scheduled more time.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:52 PM   #8

My wife and I did lots of hiking (for us) around glacier, and lived the place. But I think the most memorable pieces of the trip were the amazing lodges and the helicopter tour. I would really recommend the helicopter tour. You get to see all the breathtaking pieces of the park, and it’s a thrill if you tell the pilot to get a little energetic. I think we paid $500 to share the hour tour with another random couple. I was prepared to pay for the whole ride for just us if no one else would have showed, and it would have been well worth it. Oh, and we got to see a particular glacier that we had busted our butts to hike to the prior day, and then couldn’t see anything due to weather. The second attempt was much easier.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:50 PM   #9

I'd just bring a couple of Chairs and a Cooler find a good spot and sit and Enjoy, the Sky the Clouds and the Rocks.

Even if I am looking from afar they are Just Beautiful.

Hard to imagine missing it.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #10
doc

Appalachian Campers
Outside of the things already mentioned, ask around for directions to the Goat Lick. From West Glacier, South on Rt 2 just past Essex. River canyon overlook that goats walk up and down the almost vertical sides of to lick minerals that come out of the rock walls.
The Feds (or state?) have built a tunnel under the road to allow wildlife to cross without endangering themselves or the auto traffic.

Trail of Cedars is a level and impressive boardwalk (we used a mobility scooter for my wife) Lots of huge trees and rocks covered with hanging moss. A hundred feet on that trail from the parking area and it was almost completely silent.

SW of W Glacier toward Hungry Horse is a road to the left that leads up to a dam and overlook. Easy Peasy trip and no walking except to look over the edge. Good scenery and fun if the sun shines.

We have a mobility problem with MS (wife) but she still loves to see the areas we visit. We use our imagination and then just explore the roads and trails.
Hope you guys enjoy the trip. Wish we could be there and exchange stories.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #11

We are volunteering at a CG with another couple and she has hip problems. Her solution is to have a electric bike which allows her to ride all over the place. It won't help you for trails, but it sure adds to her mobility.
https://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:19 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
I forgot to mention, first thing when you are there, get some bear spray, bear horn and bear bells. Bears do not know where we humans think they are suppose to be. The stuff also works on mountain goats, etc. Been there done that.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 01:10 PM   #13

I second GaryKD's advice to visit the Many Glacier Hotel on the east side.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:24 PM   #14

Definately visit Whitefish and tour the mansion in Kalispell. We drove around the lake (Flathead). Had lunch in a little town on the northeast side of the lake.