Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #1

We booked a trip to Fort Wilderness

We will be staying in the 700 loop.
Will we need to rent a car?
Will we need to rent a golf cart?
What can we expect we will be there for a week with our grandchildren ages 3 and 8.
Any suggestions on what to do and what not to do
Thanks
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2015, 04:37 PM   #2

From what i have heard, just a lot of money !!!!
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:43 PM   #3

Rodney,

If all you will be doing is visiting Disney destination then no car needed. Busses will take you everywhere you need to go. A golf cart may be handy to get you to the dock and restaurant and bar but so will a bus. If you are a patient kind of person then no golf cart required.

If you decide to visit some place outside of Disney, then you can arrange for a cab that can pick you up at the transportation center.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:51 PM   #4

Get to the parks early then take a long break around mid day. Then go back later after the kids have a nice nap. Grandpa may want one also. The ages of your grand kids tell me to focus on magic kingdom and the animal park then the movie park and last Epcot. Be very very patient and take some snacks and bottled water. And lastly the 8 year old may just want to find a water park.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:16 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
What can we expect we will be there for a week with our grandchildren ages 3 and 8.
Thanks
we were 2 weeks ago....with our daughter and your husband and our 3 grandchildren....ages 2,6,and 8.....we were in the 400 loop and used bikes to get to the ferry to go to the parks....and to the campfire, and the pool and the trading post.....for the 2 yr old had a wagon made to attach to a bike...worked well.....any and other questions fire away...Chuck
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:42 AM   #6

A week? We were there with our grandkids for 5 days, and it took me a week to recover.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:49 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Disney is the only place I go that I never take the car. Their transportation is great. Take bikes for even more fun.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:53 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
Thanks
When are you going ?? Weather can make you change your mind about golf cart or rental car with a/c / heater..
wstrace3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:06 AM   #9

Thanks for the replies!!! We are going the middle of September
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
If not leaving the Disney property to visit other attractions, you do not need a car. You can get to any of the Disney venues, including what used to be called "Downtown Disney" (now "Disney Springs") using internal Disney transportation. As others have stated, the internal transportation system is first rate. In our opinion that also goes for the golf carts, which we feel are a PITA. They will be all over the place, not doing anything for the "ambiance" where they tend to flock (near Pioneer hall, the boat docks and the bus terminal) and... I'll leave it at that.

That said, if someone in the group is disabled a golf cart could offer you some greater flexibility.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:04 AM   #11

We were there in oct. in the 600 loop,did not bring a car and didn't need it. But we did bring our own golf cart which is a big help to get around even though they have good bus transportation. If you bought the hopper pass and food plan like we did i would plan ahead. Smart phone apps are great you can look at your phone and know exactly were you are and how to get to a ride and don't forget fast passes those are great.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:35 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We were there about five years ago. I remember you had to rent a WiFi receiver thingy to get on the internet.

It was junk and we always had problems with it even after they gave me a different one.

I'd suggest using your cellphone as a tethering device if you need internet access.

We used all park transportation, no golf cart. It was excellent.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:33 AM   #13

Things have changed in 5 years. Wifi is free now. If your location has a poor Wifi signal you can get a cable modem from the front desk.
Mid September will still be hot in Florida so I would suggest hitting the parks in the morning, take a mid-day break to rest and cool down, and then maybe return to the parks in the evening. The crowds will be relatively low since most kids will already be back in school.
Take your time and enjoy. There is more to see and do that can be done in a week. I speak from experience as my family and I have been to WDW three or four dozen times.
ScottS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:09 PM   #14

I was there in February and it's a beautiful CG. I had my golf cart and car behind the rv. The car you can do without. The CG is 750 acres so a golf cart is nice to have IMHO and it's fun to cruise around on.
Jake74 is offline   Reply With Quote