Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #1
IC2

We were headed to PA

Leaving in the morning and instead of going to PA (Hershey/York/Harrisburg/Gettysburg) where we were planning, we would have a major problem getting to that area with the floods on I-88 from Oneonta to Binghamton and then in the rest of the areas noted. Instead we will be heading back to our old stomping ground CG on Lake Champlain for 3 days then follow the St Lawrence to the Alexandria Bay area for a few more days. We normally go to Vermont for a meal, but much that area where we go is devastated as well. The Northeast and Upstate New York have become "interesting" camping/RVing this year. Oh well, this will save us a few bucks anyhow - for the next trip

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2011, 09:50 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Better to safe and enjoy the trip than try to get out of difficult happenings. We can't control the weather nor water running downhill.
Safe journeys

skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We just came south from Wilmington, NY, north of lake Placid. The damage around that area was pretty bad. Had to go north to catch 87 south because 9 was still closed around Keene. 88 south was okay until south of Oneonta where the southbound was closed and we were detoured to 81 in Binghamton. We were going to go to Vermont, but changed our plans. We witnessed alot of flooding and damage. So sad for the folks.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:38 AM   #4
IC2

Thanks Skipwil

Bsirby - sounds like you made it to KOA/Wilmington. We have stayed there in the past. Now, we are sitting in Westport (the other direction from the I-87 turn off and so far it is very nice with little to no effect of the past two storms. Route 73/86/9 to Lake Placid or Wilmington were still closed mid afternoon yesterday. Since there is virtually no local TV don't yet have any idea when these roads will reopen. Tough economically for this perpetually depressed Adirondack area - which could be grist for another thread if you live anywhere near as we do in the Saratoga area just South of there.

Unless the weather turns really bad, we still intend on heading for the 1000 Islands/St Lawrence area in a couple of days, skirting way North.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:33 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
All you have to do is go to Youtube and punch in "Vermont flood" to see how many roads are washed out. Asphalt and gravel are going to be in short supply.... I heard 400+ roads have been washed out. Re-building the bridges is what is going to hamper travel around VT. over the next year or 18 months....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Thanks Skipwil

Bsirby - sounds like you made it to KOA/Wilmington. We have stayed there in the past. Now, we are sitting in Westport (the other direction from the I-87 turn off and so far it is very nice with little to no effect of the past two storms. Route 73/86/9 to Lake Placid or Wilmington were still closed mid afternoon yesterday. Since there is virtually no local TV don't yet have any idea when these roads will reopen. Tough economically for this perpetually depressed Adirondack area - which could be grist for another thread if you live anywhere near as we do in the Saratoga area just South of there.

Unless the weather turns really bad, we still intend on heading for the 1000 Islands/St Lawrence area in a couple of days, skirting way North.
Can't go wrong with the 1000 Islands. Used to live in the Watertown area, so spent a good amount of time there. Unfortunately the whole upstate has been economically depressed for many years, so we moved to NC. The mountains in NC are beautiful also if you ever get the chance. Enjoy your trip. Nice thing about RV'ing is that you can change your plans on a daily basis if needed.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsirby View Post
Can't go wrong with the 1000 Islands. Used to live in the Watertown area, so spent a good amount of time there. Unfortunately the whole upstate has been economically depressed for many years, so we moved to NC. The mountains in NC are beautiful also if you ever get the chance. Enjoy your trip. Nice thing about RV'ing is that you can change your plans on a daily basis if needed.

Just got home- 811 miles later - we stayed at Association Island which was further along then we wanted to go, but many of the private CG's have the coaches lined up too close. To make it worse, the state CG's were either closed or were very limited for the season after Labor Day weekend due to our "good" Governor Cuomo's austerity programs. Interesting that with my 20% GE discount plus off season, it was about as cheap as anywhere we have stayed in years and right on Lake Ontario - 50 feet or less (they will be KOA next year$$$$)

PA/VA/NC are on tap for next year along with a far West swing
Old 09-17-2011, 10:48 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Just got home- 811 miles later - we stayed at Association Island which was further along then we wanted to go, but many of the private CG's have the coaches lined up too close. To make it worse, the state CG's were either closed or were very limited for the season after Labor Day weekend due to our "good" Governor Cuomo's austerity programs. Interesting that with my 20% GE discount plus off season, it was about as cheap as anywhere we have stayed in years and right on Lake Ontario - 50 feet or less (they will be KOA next year$$$$)

PA/VA/NC are on tap for next year along with a far West swing
We thought about staying at Assoc. Island, but it was way too expensive for us over the Labor Day weekend. I can remember growing up when it was just an empty island. We used to fish off the bridge. Instead we stayed at Black River Campground where we used to take our kids tent camping years ago. New owners took over 20 years ago and don't take the best care of the place. Several seasonal places looked like Sanford and Son. No quiet time. Dogs off leash. Seemed to not be too many rules, or they just weren't enforced.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:26 AM   #9
IC2

Quote:
We thought about staying at Assoc. Island, but it was way too expensive for us over the Labor Day weekend. I can remember growing up when it was just an empty island. We used to fish off the bridge. Instead we stayed at Black River Campground where we used to take our kids tent camping years ago. New owners took over 20 years ago and don't take the best care of the place. Several seasonal places looked like Sanford and Son. No quiet time. Dogs off leash. Seemed to not be too many rules, or they just weren't enforced.

The wages and ravages of time!! We considered Merry Knoll at Clayton but kept on driving after seeing what a dump it had become in 3-4 years since our last visit. We ended up paying $27.50/night vs the usual off season rate of $35. It was quite nice and the work is progressing for their KOA debut

Association Island was originally GE owned and a place that GE management went for off campus meetings. My dad had gone there in the 50's-60's and was "enthralled" with the place. Myself, working for GE internationally went to garden spots like Cairo, Jakarta, Algiers and Maracaibo for management meetings. Here's some history if you want to know the progression of that place: History
Old 09-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
The wages and ravages of time!! We considered Merry Knoll at Clayton but kept on driving after seeing what a dump it had become in 3-4 years since our last visit. We ended up paying $27.50/night vs the usual off season rate of $35. It was quite nice and the work is progressing for their KOA debut

Association Island was originally GE owned and a place that GE management went for off campus meetings. My dad had gone there in the 50's-60's and was "enthralled" with the place. Myself, working for GE internationally went to garden spots like Cairo, Jakarta, Algiers and Maracaibo for management meetings. Here's some history if you want to know the progression of that place: History
I didn't remember the early years. Very interesting, thanks. This was the first time we took the RV home. Would have rather have stayed in my Mom's driveway, but wasn't possible. We had to come home to NC early to be with our grandson who is 3 and having some extensive test at Duke Children's Hospital. If all goes well, we will be leaving Friday for Bethpage and the National Rally. Have never been to one, so am looking forward to it. Hope to see you on the road sometime.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #11
IC2

Quote:
I didn't remember the early years. Very interesting, thanks. This was the first time we took the RV home. Would have rather have stayed in my Mom's driveway, but wasn't possible. We had to come home to NC early to be with our grandson who is 3 and having some extensive test at Duke Children's Hospital. If all goes well, we will be leaving Friday for Bethpage and the National Rally. Have never been to one, so am looking forward to it. Hope to see you on the road sometime.
I do hope all goes well with your grandson. We have one in San Antonio who is our constant worry as he has an immune disorder connected with Asperger's Syndrome that goes into pneumonia on an all too regular basis. The other 9, luckily, not many problems besides normal childhood.

Have a great time at the rally - I too have never been to one, but think it should be fun.

If you see a medium size Titanium being pulled by a black Ford F350, honk. It could just be us
Old 09-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I do hope all goes well with your grandson. We have one in San Antonio who is our constant worry as he has an immune disorder connected with Asperger's Syndrome that goes into pneumonia on an all too regular basis. The other 9, luckily, not many problems besides normal childhood.

Have a great time at the rally - I too have never been to one, but think it should be fun.

If you see a medium size Titanium being pulled by a black Ford F350, honk. It could just be us
Look forward to meeting you.