RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2019, 11:04 PM   #1

Weather down South?

1 week to go before we start our 1st RV adventure! We fly out to Florida next week to take possession of a new to us truck and travel trailer. We'll have 5 days to get used to the trailer (set up, tear down, all the systems, backing up, towing, etc) before we make the long drive back to Montana. We've been watching what seems like an endless line of thunderstorms roll from Texas over to the East Coast for the last month. Tentative plan is to drive along the Gulf to Mobile, AL, then start NW towards Texarkana and North from there. We'll be stopping in Vicksburg, AL (recently hit with flooding and tornado) and maybe Crater of Diamonds in Arkansas. Is anybody in the area now, or been thru recently? Kinda worried about parks being flooded or just plain mushy. I'll call ahead when we're a couple days out to make sure, but just curious if anybody has first hand knowledge in the last week or so.

LPVagabonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2019, 06:16 AM   #2

The weather in Mobile was nowhere near as bad as places west and north of Mobile. Most of those storms strarted moving northeast when passing through MS.

We were in Gulf Shores last weekend and the weather was perfect. But it's starting to get warmer this week! The daily highs are climbing.

I would be concerned as well about the northern part of the trip but if your only spending a few days in each place it should be easy to adjust the plans.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:44 AM   #3

Thanks for the report Brad2018. Unfortunately (fortunately?) we're only spending 1 night at each location, except 3 nights in Fort Collins area. We're pretty flexible on our route and can hopefully detour around bad weather systems.
LPVagabonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:03 AM   #4

I use Storm radar app when traveling to see whats coming my way, and has helped me avoid high winds, and hail.
Last year in a SD campground, I had to use my patio mat to cover my truck for protection from hail, and it worked.
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:01 PM   #5

Florida itself is not bad right now as the fronts are dying out as they get to the FL line. Currently 84 degrees in Crystal River, north of Tampa. We are generally traveling along 98 to Pensacola and then on to Natchez MI where we will pick up the Natchez Trace Parkway to Nashville. We are hoping at least that the worst of the bad weather will give way to just the normal afternoon thunderstorms.
What you may encounter in FL is a deluge of love bugs. We had to stop 3 times to clean the windsheild while traveling across Rt. 60. They usually only last for 2-3 weeks so may be gone by the time you make your trip.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote