Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:01 PM   #15
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Depending on the weather it may take you more days to get from point A to point B than you anticipate. Stay South.

Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2013, 02:57 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Where are you going to stay in Monterey? And do you have reservations there?
We used to live in Monterey and will be staying with Friends.

Like stated, we only have some time to do it, and will stay south of I40 for sure now that you guys mention the Weather. I did not consider hat at first.

3 Days out is not to bad. I can usually drive about 800 a day without much issue.
Thanks for all the responses. I know fore sure we will be eating Lunch/Dinner at the Stock yards in Amarillo.

Stefan, Nicole, and Ian
The Pups - Kaiser, Indar, Itsa, and Marty
2015 Newmar DS 4369
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:32 AM   #17
Sorry but driving an RV 800 miles a day is insane and not safe for you or your loved ones. Now that is my opinion. it would not be much of a vacation for me but I understand that you want to see things out west. I would fly to Vegas and rent a car and see all the sites that way. Much more relaxing and probably cost the same. Yes I am retired so time is not an issue but I would wait so you can enjoy the area. So much to see!!

Have you done all the wonderful state parks in Georgia? We spent 5 weeks this past year visiting the parks north of Atlanta. They are wonderful. If you like to hike they provide some great areas. Sure wouldn't have to drive as much.
mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:44 AM   #18
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You said 14 Days???? Ummm, you may want to include some time in there for some possible BAD weather. Taking the Northern route home??? That to might be a roll of the dice. Remember it's winter time. That's a lot of miles to cover and try to see and enjoy a vacation. You may want to cut back on a few things that you intend to visit so at least you can enjoy some of the places you do get to see. JMHO
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I think the safety issue of driving such long days should be something to think about unless you have a second driver to releive you. I also agree 14 days sounds like a hurry up and get there, then hurry up and get home. While we were still working, we planned shorter trips and enjoyed them. After retirement is plenty of time to take the long trips. There is just so much to see from GA to CA. I would agree that I 10 is the best route at that time of the year. It's going to be cold and possibly snow. The wind across 40 was brutal in April too. Going home the northern route you will find the weather harsh and not alot of campgrounds open. I certainly don't mean to rain on your parade, but our first long trip, for 3 months, was from NC to CA right after we retired. We were new to full timing and thought we had to hurry and get there. We missed so much on that trip. Next time, we plan on slowing down, get off the highway more and stopping to smell the roses. Safe travels.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #20
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I used to live on I-40 in Western NM. I absolutely agree that avoiding it West of Amarillo in winter would be wise. To cover that distance in such a short time, I-20 would be my "Northern" route and I-10 would be the Southern. They join way out in West TX, so the routes would overlap between El Paso and CA
Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #21
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
You are from Forest Lake! I was from Bloomington. We are a bit different, and always have been, and that is okay! We have always found things to do and see that are not the "bridge too far". You like the long hard drive to the destination, while for us the journey has always been the destination. To the OP, your goal is over 2400 miles away. You simply cannot see a ton of places, but if you choose some places to relax and catch your breath for a while, 4800 miles may not seem so far after all.
I mean no disrespect. I just want to hike Zion and Yosemite while I'm still young. We take the boys to Ft Wilderness and Myrtle Beach. Hope to get to Vancouver Island and San Diego soon. 2 weeks at a time for now.
Spinner & Gang
2000 MADP ISC350 2003 Jeep Liberty toad
"Working towards the next vacation!"
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #22

Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I mean no disrespect. I just want to hike Zion and Yosemite while I'm still young. We take the boys to Ft Wilderness and Myrtle Beach. Hope to get to Vancouver Island and San Diego soon. 2 weeks at a time for now.
None taken.

Have you been to:
Gooseberry Falls, MN?
Manitou Falls, WI?
Copper Falls, WI?
Bayfield, WI?
Copper Harbor, MI?
Madeline Island, WI?
Have you been a Yooper?
Have you had a Yooper pasty?

I could go on for hours.
There is soooo much within a day for you.

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
I read these types of responses all the time and it bothers me. I have a job where getting more than 2 weeks off at a time won't happen. So I can a) drive "insane" amounts daily, or b) wait until I retire to go more than 1600 miles from home. Seriously, I would love to see everything on the way between here and there, but while I'm still working, it's "pick a destination and drive long days". Right now, our stops consist of a couple hour stop at a museum or attraction to break up a long day of driving and Wallydocking between home and destination. If I do get to retire before I'm too old to RV, I will definitely alter my travel strategy. Until then, I guess I'm insane. 600-700 miles per day is not unheard of for us.
I understand where you are coming from. I've been there and done that. Once had a boss who told me "if I can do without you for two weeks, I can do without you" I still managed to get a few 2 week trips in and I made the best of it. Once did a two week trip from Las Cruces NM to Tacoma Wash. First leg was to Ogden UT. 856 miles. We crammed as much in as we could. Had the script to Ace Ventura - Pet Detective memorized before I ever saw the movie (listening while the kids watched)
Regarding the southern route, I live less than a mile from I-10 and it can be closed due to weather at times so keep an eye on the weather reports.

Richard and Laura Mae
2007 Monaco Camelot/2003 Jeep Rubicon or 2006 Jeep Commander
From the Land of Enchantment, New Mexico
Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote