Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I'm a native of the state and everyone has given you good advice.

Utilize 101 which parallels PCH and is a much nicer drive than I5.

We liked staying in Santa Barbara (101, Pismo Beach and Carmel, as well as Fort Bragg. All are accessible with the big rig but use your toad to explore the coast.

FYI, for anyone just itching for a reason to end their marriage... I'd suggest climbing in the big rig and taking the PCH south from Carmel with DW riding as the copilot. Your side view mirror will spend half the trip hanging out over cliffs hundreds of feet above the Pacific Ocean and the copilot will certainly have something to say about it.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2014, 09:33 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Unless you like it hot, stay on the coast of So Cal till Oct. and I mean on the sand. The Pismo Beach, Morro Bay area is cool. A few miles inland can see 90's till oct. 97 here today in LaVerne.

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:01 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don, take me with you!
Old 08-30-2014, 04:14 PM   #18

You are receiving some great advice. But, might I be so bold as so suggest that you want to refine your research by either checking older questions posed or, periodically reask your question from this perspective: California is a huge, diverse place. So Cal, N Cal and Central Cal. Coastal, Eastern Sierra and the Central Valley. San Diego, Los Angeles and the Bay Area. Great advice for one just would not be applicable for another. Time of the year is very critical also. Touristy areas like Yosemite, Sequoia and the southern & central coastal areas will be impossibly crowded at times, comparatively vacant at others. So what I'd suggest is that you seek first where you will be first, then start obtaining advice on your next two places once you are in place.

From that perspective, I'll make some suggestions. With the assumption you are coming in from the SE, like say, Kingman (Blake Ranch RV is great.), hit Death Valley on your way into the state. (Honestly, unless you are really a desert rat, there's nothing there as far as I'm concerned.). Next would be the Palm Springs area. (Indian Waters RV is a very good choice.). 2-3 days is probably sufficient at these locations. Now to the good stuff . . . San Diego. Minimum of one week. Minimum. Trust me on this one - stay at Bernardo Shores in Imperial Beach. Adult Park. Wonderful! Very easy access to Coronado Island, which is the best of San Diego. Last time we were there we took day trips as far north as Newport Beach. Easy if you work around commuters. I'll let someone else make suggestions around LA, because I avoid it like the plague. Next big stop I would plan is the Pismo Beach area. Easy to access Solvang and even Santa Barbara from there to the south and Hearst Castle, etc. to the north. (I would caution you though that the area is Easter Break party haven. Especially the most popular RV park!). Then up 101 to Betabel RV Park, right off 101, which we use as a home base for accessing Monterrey, Santa Cruz, etc. At least a week there.

Plan your vacation in segments. Ask specifics 2-3 weeks before hitting the area.

With a rig your size and the demand on the public parks you'll be much happier with the high end private parks. And they aren't nearly as impacted. Make reservations ahead of time. Except for the holiday weekends, a couple of days in advance should be sufficient. Especially for midweek stays.

And finally, we tow our 2010 CR-V with a 2012 37f Winnebago. We are looking at 43' Dutch Stars right now. You have a great rig. The parks I've recommended will be great for you. We park the RV and tour in the Honda. (I like to drive for 3 hours and stay for 3 weeks!). Highway 101 is great for RV's. The overwhelming majority of Highway 1 is not.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:01 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Don, take me with you!
NO! LOL. OK. You can come too.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You folks are the best.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:31 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you need to skirt the LA area get up to the 210 and take it West to the 134. And DON'T do it durring the week in the AM. The entire LA area is a zoo in the AM 5-10 and PM 2-7. No guarantees of any other times either. Getting off the Fwy in the wrong area at the wrong time is a bad idea to the untrained.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:42 PM   #22

We drove through LA early on a Sunday morning with no issues - no slow traffic.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Sky Boss, Nice Rig!
Any Feed back on your CA travels? Love to hear how it went.
Has anyone done the Monterey Dunes? It's off the hwy 1 and seems accessible.

I stayed at up in Bodega bay last weekend. Tricky drive in My 40 ft DP but worth it.. It was a Small town get away with fresh Crab all day long!
Old 11-16-2014, 10:01 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsoxfan1 View Post
Sky Boss, Nice Rig!
Any Feed back on your CA travels? Love to hear how it went.
Has anyone done the Monterey Dunes? It's off the hwy 1 and seems accessible.

I stayed at up in Bodega bay last weekend. Tricky drive in My 40 ft DP but worth it.. It was a Small town get away with fresh Crab all day long!
We were planning this trip for 2015 but family matters are pushing that back to 2016. We are still looking forward to that trip.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:45 PM   #25

I'm not experienced enough to know if this is relevant for someone with a driver's license from another state but CA requires a commercial license for MH over 40 ft. That's why I ended up with a 36...
Old 11-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I live in La Grange, Ča. 45 miles from Yosemite National Park make sure you see it. Also Columbia State park, and all the gold rush towns on Highway 49. Monterey, Carmel and Pacific Grove should be on the list. Enjoy your trip. Judy
Judy and Kerry, with Yorkie Babies Tweety, Jessi James, Wyatt Earp, Isabella. Boyz and there toys Angel Baby 2009 HD Road King, with Dyna 2008 HD Screaming Eagle. US Army Ret X2.::2015 37ls Outlaw, RVM97
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCSF2014 View Post
I'm not experienced enough to know if this is relevant for someone with a driver's license from another state but CA requires a commercial license for MH over 40 ft. That's why I ended up with a 36...
I ignore it and travel along. in California many times, so far so good........
tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:19 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=RickO;2201644]I'm a native of the state and everyone has given you good advice.

Utilize 101 which parallels PCH and is a much nicer drive than I5.

FYI, for anyone just itching for a reason to end their marriage... I'd suggest climbing in the big rig and taking the PCH south from Carmel with DW riding as the copilot. Your side view mirror will spend half the trip hanging out over cliffs hundreds of feet above the Pacific Ocean and the copilot will certainly have something to say about it.

Rick, I did this in March of this year, Wife was asleep in the back, don't know how but she's a professional!

tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote