Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2015, 08:06 AM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
West Coast Trip

We are thinking about driving the west coast from LA to Washington state around end of March thru April in 2016. Anyone know what the normal weather is like at that time of year. Don't want to be driving in snow and ice. Never have done this but I know the further north a person goes in most place at that time of year, that could happen. Any thoughts would assist me with my plans.
belanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2015, 09:46 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hope this helps:

I would advise you to come up 101 from the bay area, little chance of any snow this way. (Avoiding Grants pass, I-5).

This is "normal" weather in Washington in March.
It can be sunny and 60 degrees, for a week straight, it can rain sideways and be 50 degrees for a week straight, or it can rain one day, be nice the next for a week straight.
Just depends what week(s) you are here.
There is a chance of frosty mornings, but not
"freezing, gotta worry" type cold.
The closer you are to the ocean, the more moderate the temps as the ocean keeps it from getting too cold here.
It can freeze in Seattle but be 40 degrees at the ocean in the morning.

The east side the state can be really cold that time of year, Oregon and Wash both.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #3

Here's the weather history for the month of March for Crescent City, California - midway for your trip. You can also check on different cities along your route to get an idea. As you know, weather is not predictable.

Weather History for Crescent City, CA | Weather Underground
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:03 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by belanga View Post
We are thinking about driving the west coast from LA to Washington state around end of March thru April in 2016. Anyone know what the normal weather is like at that time of year. Don't want to be driving in snow and ice. Never have done this but I know the further north a person goes in most place at that time of year, that could happen. Any thoughts would assist me with my plans.
If you are planning on traveling on I-5 you could possibly hit snow in the Northern California and southern Oregon mountains but roads are normally cleared in a day or so. If going up HWY 101 you'd might have rain and fog but not likely snow. That's my guess. I travel I-5 Grants Pass to central CA several times a year.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:25 PM   #5

If you decide to use I-5. Take a right (East) at Redding. Head to Burney Falls State Park. Absolutely beautiful. South of Burney Falls is HatCreek. See the Hat Creek Radio Observatory. The 20ft radio telescopes are used at night for SETI. Pretty cool to walk around them
lcsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:26 PM   #6

Hat Creek Radio Observatory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1441776375117.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	106378  
lcsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:27 PM   #7

Barney Falls night pic