Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2016, 10:33 AM   #1

West MI to Ruidoso NM in September 2016

Heading to New Mexico to visit friends in Ruidoso. Wondering if anyone has any ideas on routes and side trips. We aren't committed to any particular itinerary and we have 14 days to get there and back. We plan on spending 5-6 days in New Mexico. We are towing a 2015 Ford Explorer. Any ideas welcome. Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #2

Your 14 days will fly by so I'd recommend getting on the interstate and heading straight to New Mexico. Any excess time can easily be spent in this great state. September is a perfect time. Other than Ruidoso for your visit (Circle B RV Park is good), I'd head further north to use up any more time. We don't care for Albuquerque but just north are lots of neat areas to concentrate.

Santa Fe Skies RV park is the place to stay for visiting that neat city. Also worth your while is the Taos/Red River loop. Bandelier Nat'l Monument is worthwhile to visit as is Los Alamos. Those should all take care of your fast trip. Have a good one.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ruidoso is 1,500 miles away. 4 days to get there (400ish per day). 6 days there and 4 days back = 14 days.

Not a lot of time for sightseeing on the way. I would head straight there and try to get there in 3 days(ugh). Take a different route back by going through Santa Fe and Taos. See the Taos Pueblo.
dverstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:10 PM   #4

West mi to riudosa New Mexico in September 2016

Thanks for the replies. Luckily it is about the journey since it is a long journey. I used to vacation in New Mexico as a child and I always wanted my wife to see that great state and all of it's history.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:11 PM   #5

Three Rivers Petroglyphs is an interesting place and they have RV parking (BLM). Also Ft. Stanton and the old town of Lincoln. If you want more on Ft. Stanton, PM me. That was the first place we volunteered 4 years ago. What used to be called the Museum of the Horse has a great saddle display and other old stuff. There is also a new opera house near there, but I am old and forgot the name.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:19 PM   #6

Ask your friends take you on a long day trip from Ruidoso to Carlsbad Caverns National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Ask your friends to take you on this day trip Operating Hours & Seasons - White Sands National Monument (U.S. National Park Service) If you take this trip you may want to stop at New Mexico Pistachios and Wine From Heart of the Desert/Eagle Ranch in Alamogordo, NM

On return from White Sands take the route that goes through Cloudcroft New Mexico (NM) | Visitor's Guide

If you take only one trip from Ruidoso it must be a very short trip to here EMNRD Forestry Division

I think you will enjoy New Mexico and your friends probably already have some of above planned to show you.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:37 PM   #7

Ruidoso is really neat. We try to get out there every time we visit family in Las Crucres. It's a good daytrip. White sands is pretty cool too as well as Santa Fe. I agree with the other poster about not caring much for Albuquerque. The Franklin Mountains by El Paso are nice.

We've yet to take the RV that way from Orlando. We're about 1700 miles and it would have to be at least a 3-week trip to make it worthwhile. I could drive 400 or 500 miles a day for 3 days if I had to, I just don't think it would be very enjoyable.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:48 PM   #8
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
Ask your friends take you on a long day trip from Ruidoso to Carlsbad Caverns National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Ask your friends to take you on this day trip Operating Hours & Seasons - White Sands National Monument (U.S. National Park Service) If you take this trip you may want to stop at New Mexico Pistachios and Wine From Heart of the Desert/Eagle Ranch in Alamogordo, NM

On return from White Sands take the route that goes through Cloudcroft New Mexico (NM) | Visitor's Guide

If you take only one trip from Ruidoso it must be a very short trip to here EMNRD Forestry Division

I think you will enjoy New Mexico and your friends probably already have some of above planned to show you.
We own a vacation home in Ruidoso. Several years ago, friends from Maryland flew to ABQ, rented a car and drove down to Ruidoso for Thanksgiving with us. We had all of 4 days together. They really wanted to see Carlsbad Caverns, so we made it happen. But, wow, is that a hard "day" trip! If memory serves me, it was almost 3 and 1/2 hours one way.

If you're into science, the National Solar Observatory at Sunspot is a very interesting place to visit. It's maybe 45 minutes from Cloudcroft. But, there is plenty to see and do in and right around Ruidoso. Your friends will be in the know about everything there.

Enjoy your visit to the Land of Enchantment!
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote