Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2014, 08:33 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
West Virginia State Parks Reservation ?

Planning on staying at 2 different West Virginia State Parks this summer (June). We have never stayed at any of the parks in WV. before. Normally with other state parks you either call or go online and make your reservation for the site you want that is available. bang your done....According to their website (WV State Parks) you must mail a "Campground Reservation Application" post marked after Feb 15th. and they will assign you a site if all your information is OK'ed. So really I don't even know if I have a site, if it's a level site, sunny or shady? And you have to figure out what the total cost is, plus a handling charge and mail that in too. Now after March 15th you can call and reserve a site over the phone. But from Feb 15 to March 15 it is mail in only. I have a few sites picked out at each place, but I'm worried that they will stick us in the sun.

Has anyone else used this early form of ( mail in) reserving a site in the WV State Parks? All my other reservations for PA. & OH. were made a few weeks back. I knew right away which site I had.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #2

Didn't know that even existed...we usually travel w/o reservations anyway. We've stayed twice in Holly River SP...no reservations. I remember going to their site, clicking on Holly River and got their phone # and called. Told them our equipment and asked for a recommendation on a site. I can't remember if they gave us a res. but the second time, we just showed up and the ranger told us to go pick out a site that fit and let them know. That was in '10, so things may have changed. I'd give 'em a call.

The reason we picked Holly River SP was that I used(over 50 years ago) to camp there as a kid with the family. They have 30A at all sites with water stations available and a couple of dump stations...$28 @ day. Family oriented w/clean restrooms and playgrounds. Kind of isolated from the hustle and bustle. Spring fed swimming pool and a very nice 'homespun' restaurant...great back roading/exploring. We camped there in a 36' MH...it was a little 'tight' with all the trees and narrow roads but with caution, doable. I'd love to go back.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:03 PM   #3

Yeah, I have repeatedly griped, "In this day and age, etc. What a way to run a park system?"

However, WV State Parks will only reserve half of their sites. The other half are first come, first served. So, you do have a shot, a crap shoot shot.

I have sent in the reservation request by mail for the big three (Labor Day, July 4th and Memorial Day) quite a few times (probably about 8-10 different requests over the years). One year, we sent separate requests to Watoga and Canaan for the same holiday weekend. I have never been able to get a reservation.

If you are planning a weekday trip or a non-holiday weekend, you should be able to get a reservation by mail OK.

The state is losing money, because many of the first-come sites sit vacant. We more often than not go to another state where we can get a reservation online or over the phone.

When we want to go to one of our favorite WV State Parks, we call ahead. The camp host will usually let you know how many empty sites they will have when you arrive. This has to be done shortly before your trip and doesn't lend well to pre-planning.

We love the Canaan Valley/Seneca Rocks area. For longer trips that we start on Saturday, we go first-come at Blackwater Falls(electric only). Then, as people leave Sunday, we move to Canaan Valley SP for the full hookups. We can do this and use Seneca Shadows (a USACOE CG) as a back up. We haven't been shut out yet, even on some holiday weekends.

I think we have some of the greatest state parks in the country, but we definitely have the worst reservation system.

Good luck and don't give up. WV is worth it!
Old 02-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
We love the Canaan Valley/Seneca Rocks area. For longer trips that we start on Saturday, we go first-come at Blackwater Falls(electric only). Then, as people leave Sunday, we move to Canaan Valley SP for the full hookups. We can do this and use Seneca Shadows (a USACOE CG) as a back up. We haven't been shut out yet, even on some holiday weekends.
Yes, that is where we are planning a trip...5 days at each...I like the security of knowing I have a site....Even the website gives "0" info about any of the sites. It's kind of hard to plan a multi stop trip (16 nights) when you are trying to link up different parks. I'll do my mail-in thing, and see what comes of it. Even the form I have to use is still from 2013 off their website, but I called and they said it was OK to use last years form. (request for reservation form)

All my other reservations for this summer season have been made in the state parks of Ohio and PA.

I'll check out some of the other WV. parks while I'm down there. Hopefully I'll get the 10 days I request.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote