Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2013, 05:58 AM   #1

West Yellowstone to Idaho Falls

We will be leaving West Yellowstone around June 24 and heading to Grand Teton via route 191 and then after a week on to Victor via rt 22/22, then taking rt's 31 and 26 to pick up I 15 in Idaho Falls. We are in a 38 ' motor home towing a car and know nothing about these roads except that they do not show up much on the maps.Has anyone traveled this route and if so ,is it the best route for us to take ? Thank you for all replies . ...Alan
hpykmpr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Then I was considering that route I decided go go the other way because the Mountain Directory says 22 has "sustained 10% grades on both sides of the summit" with a elevation of 8429 ft.
I took 191 south out of Jackson and over to Idaho Falls but I went down to 89 then 26 to Idaho Falls. That route was an easy drive.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Teton Pass , (Rt 22) is NOT something you want to tackle in your rig! From Jackson either go west U.S. 26 to Idaho Falls or do your sightseeing of the Tetons and Jackson by toad then take west U.S. 20 from W. Yellowstone to Idaho Falls. U.S. 20 is not a bad way to go.

What direction are you going from Idaho Falls? From Jackson, if headed east you could go east U.S. 26 through Togwatee Pass (not a bad one) to Riverton, Casper, I-25. Or From Jackson south on U.S. 189 to I-80 or U.S. 191 to I-80 E. I've been on all those roads and they aren't too bad.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #4

First, purchase the Mountain Directory - West for detailed information on the western highways. As stated, you DO NOT want to take Hwy 22 from Idaho into Jackson, Wyoming.

If you're in West Yellowstone, the best way to get the Grand Teton Nat'l Park is taking the highway south through Yellowstone Nat'l Park. The best campground in the Tetons for hookups is Colter Bay RV Park. There is also Colter Bay campground right next door and Gros Ventre campground closer to the town of Jackson which are dry camping but great locations and with 300 big sites in each. We've never had a problem getting into either without reservations.

If you're planning on staying in Victor, ID to tour the Tetons, that is a VERY long congested drive and you'll have to drive over Hwy 22 back and forth. The national park is in Wyoming, not in Idaho.

If you stay IN the Teton National Park and then want to get onto I-15 in Idaho, the best route is south from Jackson, Wyoming and then pick up Hwy 26 into Idaho and to I-15. Hope this helps and have a great trip. The Tetons are a favorite park of ours!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:31 AM   #5

Thanks for all of the info , we will defiantly take a route other than 22 out of Jackson. We are staying in West Yellowstone for four days and then moving onto Flagg Ranch in Grant Teton for a week before continuing to Idaho...Alan
hpykmpr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Flagg Ranch is so close to Yellowstone you might do your touring of the Tetons and Jackson by toad then go back through YNP to West Yellowstone and west on U.S. 20 to Idaho Falls.

Bob & Donna
Old 05-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #7

Yellowstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Flagg Ranch is so close to Yellowstone you might do your touring of the Tetons and Jackson by toad then go back through YNP to West Yellowstone and west on U.S. 20 to Idaho Falls.
We are heading out for Yellowstone shortly and we are leaving from Springfield Il and staying at Fishing Bridge in YNP. Ant suggestion for the route to take with our 40 ft rig pulling a Jeep Wrangler.
dilarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
It depends on your choices. You could go I-90 across SD and take in Rushmore on the way or I-80 across Neb. I like to get off I-80 at Ogallala NE and go U.S. 26. It follows a lot of the Oregon and Mormon Trail, you'll see Chimney Rock, Scottsbluff NM, Fort Laramie, to I-25 to Casper. From there U.S. 20/26 to Cody and the East Entrance to Yellowstone. If you want to by-pass Cody, stay on U.S. 26 from Casper and go through Riverton and Dubois over Togwatee Pass to Moran Junction then north to YNP. These routes avoid major passes. Togwatee is not too bad.

If you're visiting a few parks think about getting the National Park Pass, if under 62 it's $80 a year, good for all NP, monuments, wildlife areas, etc. If 62+it's $10 for lifetime pass. (YNP / Grand Teton is $25 for 7 day pass)

Bob & Donna
Old 05-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #9

Yellowstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
It depends on your choices. You could go I-90 across SD and take in Rushmore on the way or I-80 across Neb. I like to get off I-80 at Ogallala NE and go U.S. 26. It follows a lot of the Oregon and Mormon Trail, you'll see Chimney Rock, Scottsbluff NM, Fort Laramie, to I-25 to Casper. From there U.S. 20/26 to Cody and the East Entrance to Yellowstone. If you want to by-pass Cody, stay on U.S. 26 from Casper and go through Riverton and Dubois over Togwatee Pass to Moran Junction then north to YNP. These routes avoid major passes. Togwatee is not too bad.

If you're visiting a few parks think about getting the National Park Pass, if under 62 it's $80 a year, good for all NP, monuments, wildlife areas, etc. If 62+it's $10 for lifetime pass. (YNP / Grand Teton is $25 for 7 day pass)

Thank you for your help. My husband likes the route you gave us and we plan to go that way. Any suggestion on how many days travel time to see some of the sites you mentioned on the way.
Also, how and where do we get the NP pass?
This will probly be our one and only trip out west in the MH as we have decided to sell it and buy a park model in Florida this fall. We have wintered in Ft Myers the last three years and love it there. A friend we met in the park we stay in wants to sell his park model this fall and we would like to buy it.
Thanks again for your info and safe travels to you.
Diane & Mick
dilarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Scottsbluff National Monument is an hour or two for the museum, a bit more if you drive to the top of the bluff and hike around. (in Toad, not RV) Fort Laramie an hour for walk around grounds and in open buildings. Cody is worth a day if you visit the Buffalo Bill Historical Center. Buffalo Bill Historical Center

Here's info on the park pass: U.S. National Park ServiceAmerica the Beautiful

I taught a grad class for teachers near YNP for 20 summers and on my travels there and back I've taken about every route and stop with friends and family. Have a great trip, I'll be returning out there this fall.

Bob & Donna