Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:14 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Western Trip

I am leaving this Sunday for Canon City, CO for three days then on to the Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone NP. I will be driving my gas V10 Thor Outlaw pulling my Jeep Wrangler and a motorcycle in the garage. I just installed a 5 Star tuner for the motor. My question is, will I have any trouble pulling the grades in the areas where I am heading or should I leave the Jeep at home? I don't want to run into problems getting over the mountains. I have never driven my RV in this area. It performs very well in the mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina.
Any suggested route from Canon City to the Grand Tetons will be appreciated.
My RV is 38' and listed gross weight of 26,000 pounds. Thank You

HPYCAMPER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2016, 03:26 PM   #2

Are you taking I70

Old 08-12-2016, 03:45 PM   #3

Welcome,
Well, are you confident in the toad's controller / braking power?
Seldom does anyone have a white knuckled up-hill experience. It's coming down the grades that is important. I'd doubt "5 star tuning" does anything for engine braking of a gasser?

Be well.
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #4

Definitely don't leave the Jeep at home. How are you going to really see anything if you plan to drive your 38' motorhome everywhere? Parking is limited in the parks and there's plenty to see outside the parks, too.

RVs of all sizes and types drive the western states. You can, too. You might not be the first one to the top but you'll get there.

I see you're taking a motorcycle and the Jeep. Personally, I'd take the Jeep for more comfort in siteseeing. You never know what the weather will be. On the really big climbs you might consider unhooking the Jeep and two of you drive the combo to see if it makes any difference. Meet up at the next rest area to rehook.

Have a great trip. You can do it!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:18 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
As long as you use the right gear going up and down and don't try to be the first one up (or worse) down, you won't have any problem.
Some of the really high elevations suck the power out of a V-10 but you'll get over that mountain.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:19 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
As long as you use the right gear going up and down and don't try to be the first one up (or worse) down, you won't have any problem.
Some of the really high elevations suck the power out of a V-10 but you'll get over that mountain.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPYCAMPER2 View Post
I am leaving this Sunday for Canon City, CO for three days then on to the Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone NP. I will be driving my gas V10 Thor Outlaw pulling my Jeep Wrangler and a motorcycle in the garage. I just installed a 5 Star tuner for the motor. My question is, will I have any trouble pulling the grades in the areas where I am heading or should I leave the Jeep at home? I don't want to run into problems getting over the mountains. I have never driven my RV in this area. It performs very well in the mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina.
Any suggested route from Canon City to the Grand Tetons will be appreciated.
My RV is 38' and listed gross weight of 26,000 pounds. Thank You

If you are doing well in Tennessee and North Carolina you will like have little issue in the Rockies - The roads are fo the most part Wider and Straighter than what I have driven there.

What is your route from Canon City to The Tetons? Do you have a little Spare Time (a WEEK) to get there? If so this might just work, not just the Jeep but also the Motorcycle.

Rt 50 to Gunnison - Spend the night or two here Allows you to see Crested Butte and Possibly Crystal Mill in the Jeep.(trails you dream about and mountains that make your jaw drop)

Ouray is the next stop - more - better - wilder - bigger - trails and a place you never even thought about on the motorcycle - The Million Dollar Highway - if you have the time then a big loop in the Jeep (Alpine Loop to Lake City and back) Get up early this takes all day.

Sore? soak in the hot pools in Ouray. Leaving run by Black Canyon of the Gunnison - Marble - Redstone - Maroon Bells - Glenwood Springs - Rifle - Up Rt 13 - Craig - Tetons.

So IMHO take all your TOYS but also TAKE TIME TO PLAY, your rig will do just fine, biggest problem you will have is Leaving.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:56 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't have a route yet. Would I70 be the best way to go?
Old 08-12-2016, 08:58 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Very good point. Never thought about coming down and braking. Thanks
Old 08-12-2016, 09:03 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am going up by myself. My family is meeting me at a campground in the Grand Tetons. Guess I'll take the Jeep for weather issues. Thanks
Old 08-12-2016, 09:13 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am attending a motorcycle meet in Canon City. The locals promised us several great rides, including Pikes Peak. Never thought about Jeep activities. I do need some suggestions as to which roads would be the best to take from Canon City to the Grand Tetons NP. I would like to stick to 4 lane or interstates if possible. Thanks
Old 08-12-2016, 09:32 PM   #12

If you want interstates the best way is 630 miles.

Canon City to I-25 north to I-80 west. Exit at Rock Springs, WY, Exit 104. Take 191 north into Jackson, WY and then into Grand Teton Nat'l Park.

No major hill issues on this route. Have a good trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:39 PM   #13

I70 is good surface , watch engine / transmission temp on the way up and brake temps on way down .
Most of the problems I have seen are cooked brakes , people think they are almost down into the valley and allow the brakes off too early, the rig gathers momentum fast and trying to pull it back is when it gets ugly . Read the road signs be vigilant and you will be fine .
Old 08-13-2016, 06:28 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks so much for the travel tips. I will input the info into the GPS. Looks like the best route for me.