Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #15

We were planned on staying at Grand Canyon Railroad RV Park in Williams AZ, do the train to the Canyon and maybe take my jeep to the rim.

Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
We were planned on staying at Grand Canyon Railroad RV Park in Williams AZ, do the train to the Canyon and maybe take my jeep to the rim.

Tom
If you're golfers, bring your clubs. There's a great little course called Elephant Rock just west of Williams.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:58 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Tom222,
If you take the train from Williams, you will get off the train at the Rim. I believe you will be on the West rim of the Grand Canyon. They have Train robbers for the kids on the way up.
Expect 90's in Williams and maybe a little cooler once you get to the top with the train. All the great parks in UTAH, again I would expect 90-100 during the day. It's the desert, so expect heat and wish for cooler temps. If you have a animal with you, that is another concern. The Train Rv Park in Williams has a kennel for the animals, that has Air conditioning. no need to leave them in hot MH. Enjoy your trip
Dave 430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:02 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
I thought the Grand Canyon in June would not be 100 degrees yet, I did an average temp for June with the weather channel website and it said avg. 80's. And yellowstone was in the high 70's to 80's for July. But I am from the south, in fact south Alabama where temps are in the 80's today and summertime the humidity is always around 90 % . I thought most of the time would be spent around yellowstone and we were hoping it wouldn't be too hot.

Tom
I don't think heat will be an issue for you on either rim, only if you were planning to hike into the canyon. The south rim is around 6900 and the north is over 8000'. The black rock at the bottom makes it like stepping into an oven, with temperatures frequently over 110, at the same time it is in the 70's or 80's on the rim.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #19

Here's the weather history for June 2013. As you can see, there are no 100's. Days are warm but the lack of humidity doesn't make it feel that warm. The nights are always nice and cool. Being for Alabama, you'll love the temps!

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...lyHistory.html

I'd recommend you to try to get a RV site at Trailer Village in the park at the rim. The free shuttle stops just outside the RV park and you can ride and get off whenever. I really think you'd enjoy it more that the train from Williams. Have a good trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
We just did that trip in reverse. We did a day trip to Bryce while at Zion. We also added a great place for a one or two night dry camping experience at Goosenecks State Park in SE Utah (sets up the route, then to Monument Valley (take the Goudings all day tour and campground), Page (Glen Canyon dam and some of the pocket canyons), then Zion (don't take the HWY 9 route, go the southern route), finally Grand Canyon. If you do this in reverse, you can stop on the North side of the canyon (opens in May). JMHO, it is nicer than the South, more rustic.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
We just did that trip in reverse. We did a day trip to Bryce while at Zion. We also added a great place for a one or two night dry camping experience at Goosenecks State Park in SE Utah (sets up the route, then to Monument Valley (take the Goudings all day tour and campground), Page (Glen Canyon dam and some of the pocket canyons), then Zion (don't take the HWY 9 route, go the southern route), finally Grand Canyon. If you do this in reverse, you can stop on the North side of the canyon (opens in May). JMHO, it is nicer than the South, more rustic.
Did you camp on the North Rim? I see the camp ground says 40' length on a dozen sites, and no hookups at all. They do have a dump station. I would really like to visit it with my rig if I can park it there. I have only been there by foot, coming up from the N Kaibab Trail, and tent camping. It made me want to see more and not have to deal with the hords on the South Rim.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #22

The North Rim has a few sites you 'might' fit into but with the long Hauler and truck, it's iffy. Also, the last time we were there we noticed that we definitely wouldn't try to use the dump station with a big rig as there were close trees on both sides - unless they've redesigned it. There are no hookups. However, there is plenty of beautiful boondocking just outside the main gate on forest service land and also DeMotte national forest campground has some big sites (next to the F.S. boondocking road). It's an especially gorgeous area mid-Sept to mid-Oct as the aspen are in full color.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #23

Zion is amazing. Stay at watchman campground within the park if you can. If you have the mobility and physical ability, you have to hike the narrows. The hike is up the virgin river. You are in water 90% of the time. It is my all time favorite. We try to do it once a year. It can and most likely will be hot until you get north of Salt Lake City. We were in Yellowstone a few year back. It was snowing in June. Loved it.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:55 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Ditto Bryce, Ditto Trailer Village in Grand Canyon.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #25

Western US trip

I will be coming from the southern most portion of Alabama, I would like to plan a route that includes Monument Valley, Grand Canyon and Zion National Park. I can't seem to be able to place the route without backtracking. From this point to yellowstone and across to Oshkosh Wi.

Any help? Any one area that is a must see?

Tom

OurBigRVAdventure.com
Old 05-07-2014, 11:10 AM   #26

You're staying in Williams,AZ so take 89 north out of Flagstaff or else 64 north and east through Grand Canyon to 89 north. Pick up 160 at Tuba City to 163 at Kayenta to Monument Valley.

If you only want to visit Zion, yes, you'll have to backtrack on 160 to 98 into Page and 89 west to Kanab. I don't know where you're staying for Zion but if you plan to use the tunnels take 89 north and 9 west from Mt. Carmel Junction.

If you don't want to use the tunnels, from Kanab head south a little to Fredonia, AZ and pick up 389 to Colorado City which becomes UT59 into Hurricane then east on 9 to Zion.

Now, from Monument Valley you could also take 163 to 191 and north to Blanding, UT. Just before Blanding pick up Hwy 95 to Hanksville, UT and west on 24 to Torrey and tour Capitol Reef Nat'l Park.

Then take Hwy 12 through Escalante to Bryce Nat'l Park. Then 89 south to the Zion route of your choice.

If you want to skip Zion after Bryce, take 89 north to I-70 west to I-15 north for Yellowstone.

It's not easy - but it's all scenic and good roads for an RV.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Try this...Monument Valley, then Grand Canyon (South Rim), through Las vegas to Zion, Zion to Bryce, Bryce to Arches or Canyonlands, , then to West Yellowstone, then to Grand Titons, then home.

But if you're headed that way, you better get on the stick with reservations for parks as they fill up quickly.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:25 PM   #28

Western US trip

Well this is my problem; we are full timing right now and wanted to take our time leaving South Alabama after June 16th headed out first to the Grand Canyon, visiting places along the way. But with having to make reservations puts us on a time-line, I hate time-lines.

Tom

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2007 Fleetwood Providence 40X
OurBigRVAdventure.com