Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2015, 04:10 PM   #1

Westward bound

I am planning a trip for the grandchildren to Yellowstone National Park and then the Grand Canyon in Arizona. I was wondering if anyone has made this trip from central Pennsylvania, how many weeks should I plan for. I know it depends on the time spent at each location and anywhere in between. I plan on stopping at the Badlands for a day on the way out and a day at Mammoth Cave on the way back. Any advice on this journey would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2015, 05:56 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Having done a round trip from Oxford, Oh, (west side) to Yellowstone every summer for over 18 years, It's hard to tell you how long it will take. We could make it in 3 long days of driving, but as our vehicles got better over the years we would add a day or two to sightsee. If you're stopping at the Badlands, you could stay in Wall, SD, next to I-90. I'd also swing by Mt. Rushmore, (walk the trail across the front of the mountain to the Artist Studio) and even more interesting is Chief Crazy Horse. (They have a very nice Indian Museum there) In Wyoming, I'd enter YNP through the East Entrance from Cody, Wy. The Buffalo Bill Center of the West, in Cody Wyoming is worth a visit. In Yellowstone, be sure to get out and hike a bit. The hike up Mt. Washburn is a wonderful walk in the park. The Visitor's Centers at Old Faithful, Canyon, and Mammoth have great exhibits explaining much about YNP. If you go south to Grand Teton NP, the Visitor's Center at Moose, and Colter's Bay, are also very nice. Some good hikes in GTNP are Hidden Falls/Inspiration Point among others.

So... You could spend a couple of weeks doing some of those things. To in addition add the Grand Canyon and perhaps some of the other great NP in Utah, (Arches, Zion, Dinosaur National Monument) you're really overflowing the plate!

Many years ago I took a group of 20 or so young teens on a backpacking trip to Banff and the Canadian Rockies. We hiked for 10 days, then drove down to YNP, Mt. Rushmore, and more. By the time we got to the Badlands, the kids were so burned out sightseeing they just watched from the bus as we got out and looked around, read signs and took photos. I learned to scale back how much to visit on any one trip. If they enjoy the first trip, you can always take them out again.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote