Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2015, 05:13 AM   #1

What are your favorite beach campgrounds?

We live in NJ. This summer we visited Myrtle Beach and stayed at Lakewood Campground. We loved being right at the beach. We also spent a weekend in Cape May at Seashore Campground. The camprground was nice but it was a 10 - 20 minute drive to the beach.

What are your favorite beach campgrounds?
ChrisinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2015, 05:34 AM   #2

Henderson Beach SP in Destin.
We spend a week down there every year just before (or after) Labor Day.
Super nice park, no crowds, clean beach with crystal clear water. Lots to do in town.

Will be heading there in just a few weeks!!
Boogie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:37 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Park Traverse City, MI. Great inland lake. Crystal clear and just a great atmosphere. Haven't been there in a while but sure am looking to return in the very near future.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:48 AM   #4

Virginia Beach Travel Park. We just got back from a twelve night vacation here. We have been going almost every year since 2002. Love it.
-Two miles (yes two miles) away from the "beach / boardwalk area".
-The campground has it's own parking lot at the beach so no looking for a parking spot.
-Lots of illuminated bicycle trails.
-Dogs allowed on beach before 10 AM and after 6 PM.
-No worries about bridge traffic like LBI or Outer Banks.
-Close to farmers markets
-Concerts
-Back Bay for kayaking

If you are looking for on the beach camping try First Landing State Park, they have water and electric sites.

Let me know if you have any more questions about this area or specifically what you are looking to do.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:24 AM   #5

We like Hunting Island State Park as well Huntington Beach State Park along the SC coast. Don't think much of most commercial mega campgrounds.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
Virginia Beach Travel Park. We just got back from a twelve night vacation here.

Let me know if you have any more questions about this area or specifically what you are looking to do.
We are looking at Virginia Beach and this campground. My husband has a metal detector, and loves to detect on the beach. That's why we are looking for beach camping locations.

2 miles away isn't bad. Often we are ready to go, and he is not, but that is a short enough drive to go back and forth to drop him off and pick him up.

I heard though that there are loud sounds from military planes taking off and landing? Is that true? I am scared the noise will freak out my dog.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:05 PM   #7

We live about 6 miles from this park. It is nice and convenient to the beach area. As far as noise from Oceana Naval Air Station, the Navy does practice there, obviously but, it is not constant. The problem is, there are no set days of the week or month nor, time of day or night. We do live almost right across from First Landing State Park. Much more convenient if you want to be right at the beach (not the Boardwalk area). Ask for a site closer to the water as some of them are close to Shore drive which at times can be heavily traveled. Even though we live almost right across the street, we have taken our camper over there several times and spent the weekend. Clean and well kept.... Happy Camping!
Old 07-30-2015, 05:21 AM   #8

You are correct, Oceana Naval Air Station is not far so you do hear the jets fly over. Our two dogs were not bothered by the noise in or outside the motorhome.

I could give you a list of our "preferred" sites as well as some activities and eateries in the area.

When are you planning on visiting ?

What are you looking to do ?
Old 07-30-2015, 10:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post

I could give you a list of our "preferred" sites as well as some activities and eateries in the area.

When are you planning on visiting ?

What are you looking to do ?
End of August. We plan to sit on the beach, walk the dog on the beach and metal detect the beach. If there are rides or go karts, or other activities for the kids, we would do some of that, and bike riding. I'll definitely take restaurant recommendations, especially steak or seafood.

We have a 43' with 4 slides and a tow car.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:54 AM   #10

Good time to go, a lot of kids are back in school then along with school sports starting up makes a quiet campground.
With a 43' MH the Super Sites are your best bet. Here are the ones we like for future visits.
828, 830, 832, 835, 845, 848, 866 & (867 favorite). All the super sites are very close walk to the dog park (Love the dog park at the campground) and pool. I do not recommend the perimeter sites of the super site area since they store dilapidated RV's in the grass area.

What to do:
The Adventure Park
Chesapean Outdoors
ARE Health Center & Spa
First Landing State Park
Virginia Beach Zoo
Aquarium
Farmers Market
Dogs on the beach
The Boardwalk

To eat. I really can't help you with the steak and seafood since we are vegetarians. This is what we can recommend.
Gilly's Creamery
Citrus (Breakfast and go to the 357 North Great Neck Road Location)
Taste
Thai Arroy

That should get you going. I have to say site availability could be limited. We call in January for summer vacation and sometimes have a hard time getting a site. Better call soon.

If I think of any more I will post and if you have any more questions please let us know.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:00 AM   #11

Beach camp grounds

Huntington Beach State Park in South Carolina. Assateague National Park,Frisco Campground on the Outter Banks. Kiptopeke State Park on the DelMarVa Pinninsula in southern Virginia.
RGar974417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:12 AM   #12

Cayucos California, Bella Vista RV, right across the road from the Beach, 5 min walk to town, Quiet, Lots of the stars live in this town, horses tied up in front of the pub, fun un populated +10
Old 08-01-2015, 10:20 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cape Hatteras NC. from Avon south to Okrakoke. Love the beach, surf casting, no crowds.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:40 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
For beach people, Camp Hatteras on the outer banks is about the best I know of. You are a short walk from the beach and you are 10 min from the "drive on" beaches for fishing if you choose to get an off road permit. Right next door to Camp Hatteras is a KOA which is right on the beach also. hope this helps. mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground