Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #1

What area needs more campgrounds?

Hey gang, word on the street is that this is the most well-read and helpful group of RVers on the whole internet.

My wife and I have been fulltiming for about 3 years and love every second of it. And we have a bright new idea. We make quite a large wheelbarrow full of money and we were considering some real estate investing. This idea blossomed into purchasing a campground and has since evolved into building a campground.

We've been studying the technical details and all that jazz but I wanted to get some thoughts from the people who travel and camp and live and nap and eat and shower and drink to excess in RVs.

So, where have you been that just doesn't have enough campgrounds? What city do you want to stay in and there are never any open spots? Where would you love to full time but there is a 3 year waiting list?

Let me know, and I'll build a campground there, just for you.

Guido
guidocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2018, 02:03 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Any place where the weather is warm all, or most, of the year - and there is a beach nearby.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
Any place where the weather is warm all, or most, of the year - and there is a beach nearby.
Now that is a broad search criteria. What I'm looking for is personal experience of being turned away. This would indicate a deficit of campgrounds in a specific location.

It does sound like fun to drive the entire southern half of the US hanging out along the beach...but I just don't get that much time off work.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #4

First you need to check local ordinances and available land. Also, most RVers, especially full-timers wouldn't want to stay in a city - more like the outskirts. In addition, typical full-timers don't stay in one place. They want to explore and move around the country. Sounds like you're gearing towards folks living in a permanent place.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:25 PM   #5

Huntersville, N.C.
Closest camping is at or near the Speedway, all sardine can like. Other than that it’s a 30 minute drive to Statesville.
I attend an event in Huntersville, hopefully twice a year but not always, on the southern edge of Huntersville. If you make a campground there I will frequent it.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
First you need to check local ordinances and available land. Also, most RVers, especially full-timers wouldn't want to stay in a city - more like the outskirts. In addition, typical full-timers don't stay in one place. They want to explore and move around the country. Sounds like you're gearing towards folks living in a permanent place.
I agree, first things first, I have collected ordinances for every state, county, and municipality in the US. It was a hobby my dad started, which is weird, because he was a male flight attendant. Also, he ended up killing a lot of people, something about aliens, the Illuminati, and the zoning board of Tuscaloosa Alabama.

And as far as my dream tenants...snow birds, sand birds, sea birds, flightless birds of the arctic and so on. We stayed at a number of parks that were filled with seasonal folks. All retired, all elderly, and all absofruitly delightful. Those are the people we'd like to cater to. They only move twice a year.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMynes View Post
Huntersville, N.C.
Closest camping is at or near the Speedway, all sardine can like. Other than that it’s a 30 minute drive to Statesville.
I attend an event in Huntersville, hopefully twice a year but not always, on the southern edge of Huntersville. If you make a campground there I will frequent it.
Hey, now we're talking. That looks like a nice little town. We were considering trying to build something along the Blue Ridge Parkway, and this is just down the street. Probably a few 100 miles, but still cool.

Nascar events, I assume?

Thanks for the tip.

Guido
Old 03-19-2018, 02:54 PM   #8

Mexico is lacking in good quality beach side campgrounds until you get farther south...Maybe something on the Baja side or near Puerto Penasco. they are turning that town into a international destination with lots of new infrastructure, new airport and cruise ship dock. A park south of town would do well.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:00 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've often felt that strategically placed "overnight" facilities along major interstate routes, say 350-500 miles in either direction of major cities would be a gold mine for someone to start up.
Located in a rural area where land is less expensive, these facilities would not be a "campground" per se, but rather offer basic amenities such as electric, maybe water, and a dump station. And cost no more than $15-20/night. Stay would be limited to one night. Strictly a facility that is relatively quiet, strictly for those passing through, and above all, safe.
Personally, I'd rather stay in a secure overnight parking facility than a Walmart any day.
If I were 30 years younger and had had the financial resources I have now, I might have given it a go. I could see a whole franchise being built on this if it's researched properly.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #10

Can I borrow your wheelbarrow for the weekend....lol
Briandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:17 PM   #11

I think you also have to define what parameters you are referring to or including in your thoughts: 'camping' or 'campground' or 'rv park' all have different meanings to all of us.

RV parks tend to mean to me that you are they sometimes just overnight, or for several days, or you could be monthly, or annually, or even a full timer. RV parks mean to me that they have all the 'basic' amenities you need to 'live' there, even if only for a night, like 50a electrical, water and sewer at each site, maybe wifi and laundry, and even concrete pads, and close to or within a city. Some may be more 'resort' oriented with amenities that agree: pool, meeting room, open areas, etc. Some are more basic - you are self-contained and already have everything you need.

Camping, or Campgrounds, tend to mean to me a 'vacation' place with shade, dirt or gravel sites, most of the time no full hookups or even 50a service, but close to or in state or regional parks near beaches, mountains, hiking trails... mostly 'rural' settings that are a 'destination', even a little difficult to get to. Most have amenities such as bath houses/restrooms, but some have only 'shared' water, 30a or less service, usually no sewer at each site - but most are for those wanting to build a fire and have a camping experience, not an RVing experience, though some parks provide a good experience for either, with dedicated site areas for each. Usually your time there is also limited.

Express parks, or Overnight parks, are a 'newer' idea for those who want to overnight during travel, but don't need additional amenities, only a place to park, and not far from the main roads, with easy 'pull thru' access. There are a few of these out there, such as RV Express park on I70 Boonville, Mo. Pull thrus. Full hookups. SelfPay. No Attendant. In and Out. Right off the interstate. Love it.

...having said all that, you'll also find that many RV PARKS announce themselves as Campgrounds, and we've found many 'Campgrounds' to be more like full amenity RV Parks! The definitions are not in concrete....to each his/her own. Now, add the term 'resort' to either and you'll get another discussion started!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:18 PM   #12

Washington DC

NYC

San Francisco
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Washington DC