Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #1

what the H%#$^ were they thinking

many of you have traveled the Needles Highway in Custer State Park in S.D. in a car/motorcycle but have you ever tried in a RV thru the tunnels?
we were just leaving scenic viewing area at Cathedral Spires area when coming up the road was a RV. hurried out-of lot to be ahead of it.
as you'all know road passes Needles Eye & #5 tunnel (12'0 high & 8'4" wide) rv was 100' or so behind us, I told DW to keep video camera rolling & sure enough as we were exiting tunnel, there was all this scraping/banging as it was coming thru. I'm not sure how he got this far,tunnell #6 is only slightly larger. this was one of those SPRINTER class C cabover models. didn't stick around to see what kind of damage they had. Wonder if it was a Rental Unit?

Guess they didn't read tunnel heights/widths first
two slides is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2014, 01:04 PM   #2

I saw a 5th wheel stuck in there once. What were they thinking?
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd got in front of him and waved him over to warn him but that's just me.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:29 PM   #4

Yes, me too. Have often been warned I'm about to enter a one way street from the wrong end, or enter a town centrum that I wouldn't have a hope of getting out again, and it has always been much appreciated.
Pay back or pay forward!
Old 09-15-2014, 03:28 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is it that PBS show used to sign off with.. OH.. READING IS FUNDAMENTAL..

Alas, not all can read I recall a movie or TV show episode, staring Dennis Weaver as a truck driver who could not read.

And then there ..... are......those......who.......le...ar...ne...d.... .. to ...re...ad...... li..ke......this.

2 Sundays ago I got tapped to do the Bible Reaings in church... No problem got a complement on how well I did.

So what's the point: Some folks DO not read the signs

Others CAN not read the sign fast enough and thus do not know that their 12.5 by 8.5 foot RV will not make it through the 12' by 8' tunner undamaged.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to GraciesDaddy
Well... Whadd'ya Know?

Our friends, the wonderful RV Geeks, have a video of Iron Mountin Road AND Needles Highway!!
Old 09-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by two slides View Post
.....coming up the road was a RV. hurried out-of lot to be ahead of it........

Give any fleeting thought to trying to stop him?
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:53 PM   #8

Some people who drive motor homes shouldn't drive anything larger than a push cart, and that with a qualified instructor within 6".
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:21 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
many of you have traveled the Needles Highway in Custer State Park in S.D. in a car/motorcycle but have you ever tried in a RV thru the tunnels?
we were just leaving scenic viewing area at Cathedral Spires area when coming up the road was a RV. hurried out-of lot to be ahead of it.
as you'all know road passes Needles Eye & #5 tunnel (12'0 high & 8'4" wide) rv was 100' or so behind us, I told DW to keep video camera rolling & sure enough as we were exiting tunnel, there was all this scraping/banging as it was coming thru. I'm not sure how he got this far,tunnell #6 is only slightly larger. this was one of those SPRINTER class C cabover models. didn't stick around to see what kind of damage they had.
Can you post the video as a teaching aid for what not to do ?
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:35 AM   #10

We were there 2 years ago during the Sturgis Rally and were going up Needles Highway and we came across about a 40 ft Class A, stopped at one of the tunnels. I guess he figured he couldn't make it.... but then the problem was, how do you get that thing back down ??? in the vicinity, there was really no place to do a turn around... I'll have to see if I have a pic of the rig .
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
as you'all know road passes Needles Eye & #5 tunnel (12'0 high & 8'4" wide) rv was 100' or so behind us, I told DW to keep video camera rolling & sure enough as we were exiting tunnel, there was all this scraping/banging as it was coming thru. I'm not sure how he got this far,tunnell #6 is only slightly larger. this was one of those SPRINTER class C cabover models. didn't stick around to see what kind of damage they had.

I know I would have appreciated someone trying to warn me.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:37 PM   #12

I'm always really Leary of tunnels. Tunnels are for cars and trucks. Not a house on wheels.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:50 PM   #13

Quote:
as you'all know road passes Needles Eye & #5 tunnel (12'0 high & 8'4" wide) rv was 100' or so behind us, I told DW to keep video camera rolling & sure enough as we were exiting tunnel, there was all this scraping/banging as it was coming thru. I'm not sure how he got this far,tunnell #6 is only slightly larger. this was one of those SPRINTER class C cabover models. didn't stick around to see what kind of damage they had. Wonder if it was a Rental Unit?

Guess they didn't read tunnel heights/widths first

I guess the real question is what were YOU thinking. You "hurried out-of lot to be ahead of it" and "told DW to keep video camera rolling" and then didn't even bother to try and warn them.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:46 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyMcCloud View Post
I guess the real question is what were YOU thinking. You "hurried out-of lot to be ahead of it" and "told DW to keep video camera rolling" and then didn't even bother to try and warn them.
Well said. I guess we've reached an era where we thrive on others' misfortunes -- even chronicle them -- instead of trying to prevent them.

Admittedly, I'm one to look when someone new comes into a campground -- wondering if they're going to provide "entertainment" backing into their site. I'm 75' long and am positive others do the same. My wife and I have two special needs kids that have provided me with a new perspective on life and with an important life lesson: you never know what others' challenges are from one day to the next. For all we know, this guy was on a final trip with his DW who was diagnosed with cancer. Maybe his mind happened to drift when he passed the sign(s). Maybe the RV really was just too much for him and he had no business behind the wheel, who knows for sure.

Things do happen. Just keep an eye out for that karma monster - she can be a real beast and someone may have a video camera when she strikes.