Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #1

What to do when heading back from Gulf Shores to Indiana

Been down at Gulf Shores for over a week...hate to leave. Looking for somewhere to stay while heading back to Indiana. (Nice campgrounds) Have to be back by Sunday, leaving Gulf Shores tomorrow. Plan on taking I65N back but can change route if needed. Thanks!!

Kevin
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2011, 11:42 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I don't envy you having to leave Gulf Shore area. Out of curiousity, did you find any good campgrounds in the that area and attractions?

As to what to see on the way back up to Indiana, check out this web site...
RV Parks and Campgrounds - RV Clubs There's a bunch of nice campgrounds in the Georgia, Alabama, & Tennessee area.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:33 AM   #3

Overall the weather has been beautiful for the last week down here. I'm glad I brought the motorcycle!! We stayed at Bella Terra resort. It's a beautiful campground with two ponds, clubhouse, workout facility, pool and more. We rented a preowned lot for $300.00 for the week. I was able to keep my 32' trailer connected to the MH on my site, which I liked. People here were extremely friendly. About an 8 minute drive to the coast....no big deal for us.

As far as attractions, we tried to visit as many of the well known stops and try their specialty (Food and drinks) We liked Cosmos the best! They let us bring our Boxer there while we had dinner on the open air patio. They brought him out his own water bowl and some of the people there asked if he could have some of their leftovers! They were also friendly at Sea and Suds. They are located right on the Gulf and it's a great place for breakfast and lunch. Lu Lu's was also one of our favorites. Just north of the bridge on 59 on the inter coastal water. I liked being down here this time of year. I couldn't imagine having to fight the crowds and wait 2-3 hours to eat!! Of course walking the Gulf was awesome.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukenrock View Post
Been down at Gulf Shores for over a week...hate to leave. Looking for somewhere to stay while heading back to Indiana. (Nice campgrounds) Have to be back by Sunday, leaving Gulf Shores tomorrow. Plan on taking I65N back but can change route if needed. Thanks!!

Kevin
Be aware that the I-64 bridge in Louisville is closed and delays at the river on I-65 have been horrendous (sometimes 3-4 hours). You may want to consider going through Madison, IN or connecting with I-75 and going through Cincinnati. Good luck.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukenrock View Post
We liked Cosmos the best! They let us bring our Boxer there while we had dinner on the open air patio. They brought him out his own water bowl and some of the people there asked if he could have some of their leftovers! They were also friendly at Sea and Suds. They are located right on the Gulf and it's a great place for breakfast and lunch. Lu Lu's was also one of our favorites. Just north of the bridge on 59 on the inter coastal water. I liked being down here this time of year. I couldn't imagine having to fight the crowds and wait 2-3 hours to eat!! Of course walking the Gulf was awesome.

That's our same scenario as far as 'attractions' go now-a-days - food! It's always good to see another dog lover on the forum. We've had a couple of Class A's but now we're downsizing to a TT. ....long story but last MH was totaled by a neighbors tree falling on it. We had to make a decision on buying another MH or reducing the expenses - we chose to go with a TT (which we've found the model but not taken the plunge yet).
Old 11-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
Be aware that the I-64 bridge in Louisville is closed and delays at the river on I-65 have been horrendous (sometimes 3-4 hours). You may want to consider going through Madison, IN or connecting with I-75 and going through Cincinnati. Good luck.
The I-64 bridge closing hasn't affected the traffic that much on the north-bound lanes, except @ rush hour. It is bad then, even when the bridge was open. The bridge @ Madison is not a good idea, it is narrow and weight limited. I don't know if your MH would pass the weight limits. We have been traveling the same route to Indiana for the last 12 years(I-65 north & south to Pensacola) and are also looking for things to see and do in our travels. So far, not much. I'll be keeping an eye on this post to see what you find.
Good Luck & Good Travels, Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #7

It's probably too late for this, but Oak Mountain State Park, just outside Birmingham is very nice, convenient to get to from the interstate, and has full hook-ups.
We also enjoy Joe Wheeler State Park up near the Tennessee border. The space center in Huntsville is very interesting to visit.
Yarcola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Take a look at Northgate RV Park in Athens, AL. Northgate RV Travel Park Easy in, Easy out pull thrus.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote