Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2017, 12:15 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What towns to visit on AZ trip?

We are planning a motorhome trip to AZ in early April. We will be coming from southern CA over on RT 10 and have five days to spend in the state, before we have to head home.

I realize that this is subjective, but we are looking for interesting towns to visit in the southern half of the state.

We like antiquing and visiting older towns.

For those of you who know the area well, how and where would you recommend we spend five days?

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2017, 12:20 PM   #2

Bisbee is a great mining town, be sure to go on the Queen mine tour. Not too far north is Tombstone, not much to see but interesting. If you go north to Tucson you can go to the movie set where 100's of westerns were shot as well as the underground missile silo. Not too far from the missile site is a Mexican Mission. It's going to be warm but not blistering hot and I think you'll have fun
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig36 View Post
We are planning a motorhome trip to AZ in early April. We will be coming from southern CA over on RT 10 and have five days to spend in the state, before we have to head home.

I realize that this is subjective, but we are looking for interesting towns to visit in the southern half of the state.

We like antiquing and visiting older towns.

For those of you who know the area well, how and where would you recommend we spend five days?

Thanks,
  • Tucson: Mt. Kitt Observatory, Titan Missle Museum, Pima Air & Space Museum, Arizona-Sonora Outdoor Museum, Davis-Monthan AFB "Boneyard", Mt. Lemmon, Saguaro Natl Park
  • Tombstone
  • Bisbee: Copper Queen Mine Tour, Shady Dell Trailer Park (No tour, just neat to look at)
  • Sierra Vista: Ft. Huachuca tour
plus any number of other national parks, historic sites, monuments, etc.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:45 PM   #4

The town itself is not spectacular, but Winslow AZ is perhaps best known for the song "take it easy" by the Eagles, lead sang by Glenn Frey. It is a very old town on old route 66 with a lot of history.
Last time we were there, I had an opportunity to sit and talk to a quite old Hopi Indian. The man spoke broken English, but was easy to converse with; I learned some about their daily life and customs over the course of one afternoon; quite enthralling actually.
Old town Tuscon is really a tourist trap, but interesting.
Trouble is, 5 days is only enough to visit a few places, and one could spend years visiting small towns in AZ.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:51 PM   #5

dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:57 PM   #6

Bisbee
Patagonia
Sonoita
Tucson
Tombstone
Sierra Vista
Tubac
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:31 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Oatman Az so you can walk in town with the donkeys. A different drive to a forgotten area.
noeldale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by noeldale View Post
Oatman Az so you can walk in town with the donkeys. A different drive to a forgotten area.
lake havasu...visit London bridge!
Old 02-20-2017, 06:26 AM   #9

Forgot to mention in my previous post. If you want to stay in the northern part of the state, visit the Petrified Forest and Meteor Crater off of I-40 (Winslow, as mentioned above is about 30 miles west of the Petrified forest) Of course, the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Flagstaff and Williams
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:47 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Any place warm we can head to. Currently we are in Carlsbad NM freezing our butts off. This "warm south west" weather is way too cold for my Caribbean blood.
We are heading to AZ later this week and it looks cold there too.
momdoc
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by noeldale View Post
Yep-- interesting town.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:07 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also if you have time, come down to Douglas AZ to Gadsden Hotel this is a historical site for Douglas. If you like great BBQ visit Big Tex Bar-B-Que, Willcox, you want be disappointed
caninecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
What towns to visit on AZ trip?

X3 on Oatman, eat at the Oatman Hotel, food is good, kitchen is slow, there must be $1 million dollars stapled to the walls! Most days there is live entertainment. A bit out of the way (north of I40 near CA/AZ line, but paved roads).

If you are there on the weekend go to the Desert Bar, near Parker. Only open Saturday and Sunday, noon to dusk, November to April. 5 miles of dirt/rocky road but I have seen cars do it (probably rentals). Great food and entertainment. Get there early, it can get crowded.

Both places can be Googled, look them up, see if they fit your schedule, interests.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 01:36 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
AZ trip

Thanks to all who replied to my post. We will try to visit most of the suggested destinations.

Tags
tow