Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2016, 06:49 PM   #15

I live not far from the Cracker Barrel at exit 5, I guess since Im so close I always forget about it as a viable option. And its close proximity to 295 is an added advantage.

I was under the impression that propane tanks either off or on were a no go in the tunnels through Baltimore.
MdTA toll facilities: Q & A

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 08:29 PM   #16

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchuckie View Post
I live not far from the Cracker Barrel at exit 5, I guess since Im so close I always forget about it as a viable option. And its close proximity to 295 is an added advantage.

I was under the impression that propane tanks either off or on were a no go in the tunnels through Baltimore.
MdTA toll facilities: Q & A
Yes, so was I. No propane in tunnels at all, have to use alternate route.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:53 AM   #17

You are all correct about propane in the tunnels. Back in the day with a small popup we were allowed thru the tunnel if the bottle was off. I do understand the reasoning and now with my MH use the Key Bridge automatically cause I have the frig on propane while traveling. Most times heading south I like to use 301 along the eastern shore. However, I'm not in a great hurry to get anywhere, an extra few hours is not a big deal and I enjoy the scenery on the two lanes, less stressful.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:50 PM   #18

You are welcome to stop at our place as well. We are in East Windsor, NJ off Exit 8. (5 miles from the toll booth). We have a large 2 acre property to pull in, spin around and park. we have a 40' 5th wheel we need that kind of space. We have a 30amp hook-up as well for you to plug in. When are you traveling?

'04 Cedar Creek 362BBS
96PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:53 PM   #19

I use 695 East in Maryland to go around the tunnel. There are tunnels in VA in Norfolk or Richmond I think it was, that you pull over at an inspection stop and they witness you turn off your tanks before you proceed into the tunnel. Then after you clear the tunnel you can pull over again and open the tanks.

'04 Cedar Creek 362BBS
Old 07-25-2016, 10:28 AM   #20

There are no tunnels to go through in Virginia if coming down I-95 to I-64 to Williamsburg, nor are there any tunnels if you come down 301 to I-95 to I-64. If you come down 13 on the Eastern Shore, then yes you will have to go through 3 tunnels to get to Williamsburg, 2 on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, and one on I-64 from Norfolk to Williamsburg. $22 toll on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. Propane must be off to go through the tunnels, and there is really no safe place to stop to turn the propane back on unless you get off at an exit.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:07 PM   #21

Wonderful people!

Thank you all for your advise! I never thought about the gas tanks in the tunnels!! UGH!! But it makes perfect sense!! As I listened to your advice on the different routes and looked them up on a map, I realized if I go out 81 far enough, we go past Hershey Park!!!! Ummm how can I not stay in a campground that smells like chocolate!!! It looks like it will only be about 30 minutes out of our way. I think we can go 84 to 81 to 64!! Seems pretty simple. that way, hopefully, I can skip all the "city traffic" too . Does anyone know if there are tunnels if I go that route? Or if there is an app or something that can help me figure it out?

Again, thank you everyone for your insight and help with the planning of this drive!!! So many rules to learn about towing a camper . But we love it!!!
Old 07-26-2016, 05:39 PM   #22

96PSD...What a great offer.....Folks like you make this RV thing so great!
rbertalotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 02:25 AM   #23

Your idea of going inland thru pa and down 81 thru Hershey is definitely your best bet and way more scenic than down 95. There are no tunnels going that way. Here is my 2 cents on 95 thru NJ and de. As a truck driver for 22 plus years and traveling that area extensively you will have a very hard time finding a spot at any of the truck stops mentioned or service plazas on the top unless you plan on stopping at 2 or 3 in the afternoon. These places fill up fast by the truckers because there is no alternative for them to park. So if you can avoid the I 95 corridor I would definitely recommend that. A lot safer and a lot more scenic going 84 to 81. Safe travels
Old 08-20-2016, 04:16 PM   #24

We did it!! Thank you!!

So, I need to take a minute and thank all of you for your wonderful input! We arrived home last night from our trip to Williamsburg, VA!! It was a wonderful trip!! From Boston, We took 84 to 81 to 64!! We loved it!! The views were spectacular!! There was no traffic - and I guess people who came down 95 sat in hours of traffic (with really no scenery)!! I cannot thank you all enough for your input!! I was also able to see the "Pilot stops" and what other places we could pull off the road for a sleep in the future - I feel better about it now

I highly recommend a trip to Williamsburg!! We stayed at the KOA in Williamsburg - it was so clean and EVERYONE was so nice. My children think it's the best KOA we have stayed at! We were only 15 minutes from all the sights. I would suggest that you make sure to get a sight in the shade!! It gets hot there! Our air conditioner had a hard time keeping our TT cool with temperatures around 110 each day - YUCK!!!! But we had a blast and learned so much about the history of our wonderful country!

Thanks again and I appreciate everyone's adivce and wonderful offers to make our family vacation one of the best!! Enjoy the rest of your summer and stay safe!

-Marielle
Old 08-20-2016, 04:48 PM   #25

Glad your trip went well. I have been to Williamsburg at least 5-6 times. I have been there Spring, Summer, and late fall after the Christmas decor is up. It is awesome how they use indigenous plants and foods to the area to create door wreaths and decor throughout the town and buildings through the holiday season.

'04 Cedar Creek 362BBS