Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2018, 08:13 PM   #1
OCM

What's it all about Quartzite?

I've seen several posts about "Quartzite" but know nothing about it. It seems to be a preferred site for wintering, but what else? Free booze and dancing girls?
OCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2018, 08:23 PM   #2

Some love the place , the crowds, during the shows, the dirt, until it rains ;then it floods ; put me down as been there done that , there are nicer places to be.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:37 PM   #3

If you like lots of crowds and camping in the dirt they you will like Quartzsite. I went to the RV show but found the prices higher than my local RV family run store. Guess the venders have to cover the cost of getting there and the cost to be a vender.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #4

You have to try it it may or may not be your thing. Put me in the been there done that,once was enough.
7138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:53 PM   #5
OCM

Is it a "Rally", or RV show, when is it? It seems to be a happening place.
OCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:59 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There doesnt seem to be much middle ground when it comes to Quartzsite, either you like a lot or you dont like it at all.

We have been spending any where from two to six weeks there from January to the middle of March.

We are set up for boondocking, and we like the peace and quite of the desert compared to the crowded RV parks.

In January we meet of with a group from another RV forum during the week of the Big Tent. It is great to catch up with RV friends and enjoy the desert. We dont usually spend much time in town that week, but we usually go to the tent for a couple of hours just to see what is new.

We really enjoy the time we spend in Quartzsite during February, and the the first couple weeks in March, as by the middle of March in can get pretty warm and because we are boondocking, we dont want to have to run the generator to run the air conditioner. There is not as many people in the areas in February and March so we go into town more often. My wife likes to sing karoake and we like live music, so we go Silly Al's pizza a couple of times a week. Usually when we do, we take the RV into town and park at a boondocking place right behind Silly Al's. Silly Al's is a great pizza place with a variety of people who come from all over, and that makes it fun and interesting.

Quartzsite isnt for eveyone, but we like it and will continue to spend time there every winter.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:02 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
If you like lots of crowds and camping in the dirt they you will like Quartzsite. I went to the RV show but found the prices higher than my local RV family run store. Guess the venders have to cover the cost of getting there and the cost to be a vender.
I have to agree on the prices vendors charge. I have observed that in Quartzsite you can get almost anything RV related, except a bargain.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:04 PM   #8

The best thing about Quartzsite is seeing it in your rear view mirror.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:05 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We go every January for the "Big Tent" RV event with a group of 4 to 8 or more some years. We find us a spot big enough to accommodate are group and we park in a circle. We have a campfire and BBQ and eat dinner together. We go thru the big tent and the flea market and generally have a good time. This year we spent 4 days and nights at the Blue Grass Festival in Blythe before going to Quartzsite.

Contrary to others opinions, we usually find a few bargains and a few items we just don't see anywhere else. It is not for everybody but we enjoy our time together.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:21 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
It's about 90 minutes from home and we have been once.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:36 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we dropped in one year...asked if the rv site needed any help and were given the keys...worked two days and had full hook up. We met a lot of locals and travelers . The hidden oasis in the desert was a real treat!! Explore.... that's what we are doin!!!
Old 05-17-2018, 09:39 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We were there this winter. Its a very unique place with some of everything, almost. As others said you'll like it or hate it. Some say Quartzsite is a cross between Woodstock and Burningman.

If you are into liking green grass and well managed RV parks, you'll not likely enjoy it. It is camping in the open desert. claim a space somewhere and setup camp.

Some folks camp in large groups of like makes/models or other similar likes and others will find a quite corner of the desert with no one anywhere near. There's not much in the way of eating places or other entertainment, etc. You need to be setup for true boon docking and expecting much from the rest of the world.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:19 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I really love the desert (in the winter), and I love Quartzsite. We are well set up for boondocking in our current trailer, and one of the main requirements for our new motorhome was that it be easy to boondock in also. There are wonderful dirt roads that go to interesting places, lots of mining history too. Like Paul and Ann, we meet up with a group from another forum (wave!) for a week or so. This year we are probably going to stay 3-4 weeks. The camping is cheap - $40 for 2 weeks with access to fresh water, a dump station, and trash dumpsters. It is even cheaper for the entire season, but we have other places we like to go too. The show is something you should see once, but now we only go to get a funnel cake (I do love funnel cakes!).
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:15 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCM View Post
Is it a "Rally", or RV show, when is it? It seems to be a happening place.
Good answer however a bit.. Modest.
It is the single largest rally in teh US and I believe the world.
They put up a big "Circus" type tent with dozens of venors. Several RV dealers show up with samples. Many other vendors a good 2 miles long along the road (Both sides) thousans of RVers, open to any and all who care to show up.. Food, Shows Talks, Demos, and more. Several "Special interest" or "Sub" groups as well.. Different RV "Groups" will lay claim to secitons of the desert, Some are fee (like 30 bucks for 2 weeks) some free sites. All of those are No-Hookups. There are a few campgrounds (Expensive though) Even Amateur Radio has "Quartsfest" as we call it (About 5 miles south of Town on the west side of SR-95) Lots of fun. Lots of friends, Lots of fellowship. Biggest issue: So much to see, and only 2 weeks to see it.