Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #1

Unhappy Where do you dump the tanks?

In looking at the CGs on this list Ultimate Campgrounds - The LARGEST POI List for US Public Campgrounds I see most do not have dump stations or even supply water. Where are you guys dumping your tanks and taking on fresh water out west? The private CGs?

Any other lists you know of that have places with sewer dumps and potable water other than private CGs? We were hoping to avoid private CGs as much as possible due to the cost,... and age of our Class-C. (1993)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #2

A number of rest stops on I-5 have water and dump facilities. Don't know if that's part of your travel plans , but a check of the Interstate rest stop info may help.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
A number of rest stops on I-5 have water and dump facilities. Don't know if that's part of your travel plans , but a check of the Interstate rest stop info may help.
I'm nor sure what route west from Nashville TN we'll be taking. But I will try and find some info on Rest Stops. I've never seen signs at any Rest Stops for dump stations. Do you have to go in and ask someone where they are? Truck Stops also. I was told they have them, but again, we've never seen a sign pointing to where they're located.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:56 PM   #4

The three rest stops that I'm thinking of have separate parking areas for extended stay ; up to 8 hrs. ; and the dump/water, is between the parking and the on ramp. I-5 is our migratory route and we tend to travel at a consistent speed so lunch and overnight stops are fairly consistent.
I'll dig around in the Washington and Oregon DOT sites and see if I can find a list.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:42 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
In looking at the CGs on this list Ultimate Campgrounds - The LARGEST POI List for US Public Campgrounds I see most do not have dump stations or even supply water. Where are you guys dumping your tanks and taking on fresh water out west? The private CGs?

Any other lists you know of that have places with sewer dumps and potable water other than private CGs? We were hoping to avoid private CGs as much as possible due to the cost,... and age of our Class-C. (1993)
here are some websites that may help.

Sanidumps.com: United States of America RV Dump Stations

Welcome | rvdumps.com

Every RV Dump in Arizona - RVThereYet

Ohio Turnpike Commission - Serivce Plazas

pilot/flying j's usually have dump stations. they usually charge $5. if you buy fuel they may waive the charge.

cabelas stores usually have dump stations. some have began charging $5.

some municipal sewage treatment plants have dumping facilities.

we use the allstays website often- mostly for walmart locations that welcome overnight rv parking. this website is free and is kept up to date by users of the site.

Walmart Locations Store Details & Parking | Walmart Store Locator

Overnight RV parking etiquette
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:16 AM   #6

Thanks guys.

Skip: We wont be hitting OR or Washington. We'll probably go straight to NM, AZ and then meander North toward Yellowstone and the the other famous places my husband has never seen. We'll probably spend most of our time in the 4-state area.

DanL: Those links are great. Thank you. The time I went cross country (1977) with my then SO, we went in a van-conversion that lacked a bathroom so dump-stations were not a concern. We found rest stops, truck stops or did what the bears do in an emergency.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
www.rvdumpstations.info/
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Thank you. I never guessed, never thought there would be so many all over the country.... but then I should have with something like 8,000,000 people moving around in RVs.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #9

Almost every city / town / county that operates a sewage treatment facility will also let you dump at the treatment site and will also have drinking water available. Most I've tried are free too.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
Almost every city / town / county that operates a sewage treatment facility will also let you dump at the treatment site and will also have drinking water available. Most I've tried are free too.
I didn't know that either. The fence is always locked at the treatment plant down in town. Since we'll be staying in CGs at least one night every 8 to 10 days on the trip, I may be concerning myself for nothing. I do feel better knowing there are so many places out there to "dump."
Old 06-11-2013, 12:02 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
The three rest stops that I'm thinking of have separate parking areas for extended stay ; up to 8 hrs. ; and the dump/water, is between the parking and the on ramp. I-5 is our migratory route and we tend to travel at a consistent speed so lunch and overnight stops are fairly consistent.
I'll dig around in the Washington and Oregon DOT sites and see if I can find a list.
OR pretty much closed all their dump stations. Here in WA we pay $3 extra when we renew our license tabs to fund the upkeep, which I just did last week. We very seldom use the rest area dump stations here as we usually have enough capacity till we get to a commercial camp ground.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
I didn't know that either. The fence is always locked at the treatment plant down in town. Since we'll be staying in CGs at least one night every 8 to 10 days on the trip, I may be concerning myself for nothing. I do feel better knowing there are so many places out there to "dump."
We usually go about 3 days before finding a commercial campground. But, by then we're usually at our destination anyway. That's what happens when you haven't retired yet and only take two weeks off.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:24 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go to Google maps and select the area you will be in.

Type "RV dump station" at the top and hit search.

It will list every place that has a dump station.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We usually go about 3 days before finding a commercial campground. But, by then we're usually at our destination anyway. That's what happens when you haven't retired yet and only take two weeks off.
Fortunately we're both retired. We were able to retire at 62 and started thinking about camping back then. I camped in the past, but my husband was new to it. We don't take many extended trips. The furthest we've gone the past 2 years is from Nashville TN to FL and back. We're on the road 2 days and 2 nights so our tanks are no problem. We dump them as soon as we get to whatever CG/Resort we're going to. But this cross-country trip will have us on the road for a month or more.