Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #1

Where is that great CG on the masthead?

I love that place at the top of the IRV2 forum page. A big lake and mountains. I would like to add it to my list this summer. Just need to know where it is. Any help would be appreciated.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Salt Creek Recreation Area - Washington

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #3

I think it may be someplace on the east shore of Puget Sound with the Olympic mountains in the background. We haven't travelled around that area enough to recognise a specific CG, but I'd hazard a guess that it's someplace on the Kitsap peninsula (or maybe on the "mainland") looking west at the Olympic mountains.

However, I'm prepared to have my gast absolutely flabbered when someone identifies it as back East someplace (back east being anywhere east of the Montana/Idaho line).
Old 02-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #4

Thanks NLOVINET:
Looks like we have a lot in common. I also have a ford gasser on a smaller unit from Newmar but had a 2006 mustang convertible until I just traded it for a new Chevy Equinox clear of payments. This year I won't get further west than Yellowstone but Oregon and Washington are in the plans for 2012. Great pictures in your blog. In any of your travels in Ohio and Penn did you find any lake side campsites with a mountain view? We are going up that way this fall.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thanks, D in Davie. I do love my 66 Stang conv & would like to, someday, be able to trailer it behind a nice DP.

Not many mountains in OH, mostly rolling hills. I've been able to get lake views or hill views but not both. PA probably stands a better chance of getting both, but we've mostly camped in the western part & haven't found a CG with the 2 together yet. Last year's trip to upstate PA got us to Ives Run & if you check out the photos of it in my albums (link in sig) you'll see sites with nice lake views & rolling ridges in the background.

My favorite lakeview/mountain (so far, anyway) CG is at Briar Point / Stonewall Resort in WV (photos also in my albums)

Someday, I hope to get to places like shown in the header photo. Beautiful!

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #6

Those of us that live out west have a different definition of "mountain" than most.

If it has trees all the way to the top, it's a hill. Mountains have bare rock and snow.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
Those of us that live out west have a different definition of "mountain" than most.

If it has trees all the way to the top, it's a hill. Mountains have bare rock and snow.
True story. I write this from my office in the hills looking at Mt Baldy. She's covered in snow.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you all for the compliments

I took the photo last summer. I spent a nice long vacation at the Olympic Peninsula.

It is the Salt Creek Recreation Area. Clallam County Parks - Salt Creek Recreation Area

The water is Strait of Juan de Fuca. Which is the body of water between Washington State and Vancouver Island, Canada- which is what those hills are across the water.

The land had been used during World War II as a harbor defense military base called Camp Hayden. The remnants of World War II Camp Hayden are preserved on the site - two concrete bunkers which housed 16" cannons and several smaller bunkers. The land now belongs to the County.

The Park is in two sections, the one in the header photo- which has electric / water- and the area in the trees without power and water every few sites.

Every evening people would gather, over at the tidal pools, to watch the sunsets. They are spectacular!!

The shot below was at sunset. The light was so vivid that it turned the evergreens orange. When the tide is out, you can walk along this area.

Below is a closer shot of the smaller header one. Gives you a nice clear image

Photo below shows how the open area, with hookups, is laid out. As it is stepped, each site has an unobstructed view of the water and Vancouver Island. At night you can see the lights of Victoria.

This shot, I took from my TT doorway of Mt. Baker, at sunset.

Shot below is of Cresent Lake with the Olympic National Park behind it at the RV section of Log Cabin Resort Log Cabin Resort located on Lake Crescent in the Olympic National Park near Forks, WA and Port Angeles, WA. Stumbled onto it while driving around the lake. Cresent Lake is beyond beautiful. It is so crystal blue, it hurts your eyes. I've traveled all over the US and have never seen anything like it.

There is so much to see and do, on the Olympic Peninsula, that I wish I had more time to see it all.

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #9

Sheila - You sure have a photgrapher's eye. Those photos are gorgeous. If you keep telling folk about the area, though, it's going to get more crowded. You might see 10 other cars in a day soon, instead of four!

We'll definitely put Salt Creek on our "must visit" list. I think the blue color of Crescent Lake is due in part to the source of the water and also to its great depth. IIRC it's getting on for 1000 feet deep out in the middle of the lake.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:06 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you!

I loved it there and wished that I had more than nine days to stay!! It really is a breathtaking area.

Went sightseeing every day. Drove Hwy 112 all the way to the Indian Reservation at Neah Bay. Incredible views! Plan to take all day though.

If you want to get the most out of the views of Lake Crescent- when you exit Salt Creek Rec Area- turn right (west) on Camp Hayden Park Road. This will take you past Crescent Bay (has a wonderful, long beach that goes all the way back to the tidal pools at the Park). Follow this road to Joyce.

Joyce has a Post Office/Country Store that has been there for a hundred years. The floors are these big, old, planks. They have even kept a section of the original post office, there. Neat place to stop and get ice, etc., especially if you like historical stuff like that (which I do ) http://www.joycewa.com/

From Joyce, take Joyce-Piedmont Road south. This will take you to the northern end of Lake Crescent. It also gives you the best views looking towards Olympic National Park. This road will eventually tie into Olympic Hwy (101). Lot's of pull-out area's to take photo's.

Plan to take a day to drive up to Hurricane Ridge, in the Olympic National Park. I got TONS of photo's there too. Would really love to go up there in Winter. They started a test program, this winter, to keep Hurricane Ridge open-- not sure how that went with the snow fall they must have gotten.

I was disappointed with Sol-Duc Hotsprings. I like the history and was expecting natural pools (since this is part of the National Park) but they have cemented over the natural pools and pipe in the sulfur water into that. It looks just like your crowded local pools do. It is a pretty drive to/from it though.

This year my 'big' trip is to Fort Stevens
(http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_179.php)
www.oregonstateparks.org/images/pdf/graveyard_pacific.pdf

This park's history goes back to the Civil War. Have heard a LOT of good things, about this park, and can't wait! Made my reservations in December

In case no one has guessed, by now, I love the Pacific Northwest! You could go to a different place, every weekend, and it would take years to see it all (and that is just Oregon & Washington).

Thanks, again, for the nice words about my photo's!!

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:01 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Nothing like a water or lake view site. This summer 4 or the 5 week long vacations I reserved lake front or creek / river front sites.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post

Anything over 1,000' is mountain to me!
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Absolutely stunning photographs.
Thank you.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Cripes. All this time I've been telling DW that was Mount Washington, across the river from Pittsburgh, PA.

Wrong again.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote