Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #1

Where should i camp for a day trip to washington D.C.

Barhymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not many choices, commuter lots are usually filled with cars. We have always just stayed at Cherry Hill Park campground, which has a bus stop in the park.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
We stayed at the KOA south of Fredericksberg. It is the end of the commuter line for rail and the campground has a shuttle van that takes you to the RR terminal and back to camp. It terminates at Grand Central Station and you can take the tour bus from there. Very relaxing week we spent. Happy Trails.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We stayed at Shenendoah Valley CG and drove into DC for the day. The CG was a great park right on the Shenendoah River with rabbits every where. Drove Peanut crazy.
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I should have posted this link. As I said, it is by far ythe easiest spot to stay to visit DC. Cherry Hill Park is the Closest Campground to Washington, DC :|: Cherry Hill Park
Old 03-20-2012, 06:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
I should have posted this link. As I said, it is by far ythe easiest spot to stay to visit DC. Cherry Hill Park is the Closest Campground to Washington, DC :|: Cherry Hill Park
X2
henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Prince William RV Campground (Formerly Travel Trailer Village)

about $32/ night, 30 min from DC
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:19 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We stay at Cherry Hill. The folks there help you with any questions about going into the city and is a very nice park. They have a shuttle to the metro I believe. We just drove over to the metro ourselves. Hope you enjoy your visit to DC.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
We never take the metro, all ways drive. This way we can bring the cooler so we do not need to spend big $$ on food and drinks. We go to rolling thunder on Memorial day, get there between 8 & 9 am and get good parking, stay till about mid afternoon, go back to CG have a dip in the pool eat dinner walk dogs and play with them for awhile. Then go back to DC in the evening to see the monuments at night taking the dogs with us as they are aloud there.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #10

Pohick Bay, Prince William RV, Aquia Pines, Shenandoah Valley are all close. I have stayed at them all as I live just minutes away from them in Stafford, VA. When is your trip?

Can't speak for Cherry Hill because we stay out of DC even though we live only 30miles from it. I sit in enough traffic to not want to head into DC and sit in traffic on the weekend as well.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #11

Thanks for the info. We are traveling to Florida to see my brother and spend about a month on the road. We will be traveling through Harrisburg to see the Civil War museum and then to Washington for a couple of days in early April . Again thanks for your help
Barhymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barhymus View Post
Thanks for the info. We are traveling to Florida to see my brother and spend about a month on the road. We will be traveling through Harrisburg to see the Civil War museum and then to Washington for a couple of days in early April . Again thanks for your help

No Problem
Old 03-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
There is another option, I like the KOA in Millersville, MD. I stay there every Memorial Day Weekend. They have a shuttle to DC, but I have never used it so I don't know any of those details.

I like the location because it is close to Annapolis, Baltimore, and DC. MDW is Rolling Thunder so book early if you go then.
Yankee Glen is offline   Reply With Quote