Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2016, 06:01 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
What temps do you consider warm? Warm, hot, cold are all relative terms. Spent 8 years in Alaska I now consider anything over 75 to be too hot. Add FL humidity to that and it becomes unbearable.

I like TX in the winter. Kemah RV Resort Kemah RV Resort - Home is nice and the breeze off the back bay makes it bearable.

Also like seeing the locals bundled up while I'm in shorts and a t-shirt.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 06:05 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I've been snowbirding in my RV for the last 16 years. The warmest place during the winter is south Florida if you are looking for nights that aren not cold and pleasant temperature.

I've spent winters in Texas, Arizona, California and Florida.

Although nights from mid december to mid Feb or end of Feb. are cold, you must heat your RV most every night. Temperatures during the night are often in the mid 40 to maybe at the most mid 50. During the day betweeen 65 to 70.
That's Arizona, mostly in the Yuma area. That's the area I preferred, you have a lot of sunshine almost no precip.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:44 AM   #17

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticman View Post
My wife and I like the beach. There are two RV parks in Galveston I would look into. The first one is Dellanera RV Park (GALVESTON.COM: Dellanera RV Park) the second is Jamaica Beach RV park (https://www.jbrv.net/). We liked both for short term stays, I would think they would be fine for long term stays also. During the winter, most of the folks at Jamaica Beach RV park are from up north (no locals).

I hope this helps.

Rob
That's funny...those are the ones I contacted yesterday about availability and rates...really liked the looks of Jamaica Beach...thank you
swagn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:59 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Jamaica Beach is a great campground, we really like it. We are not crazy about Galveston's beaches. There is a great family owned seafood Resturant about a mile south of Jamaica, on the left side of the road. Well worth finding, I can't remember the name right now............what else is new?
Old 10-07-2016, 03:11 PM   #19

We think the Rockport area of Texas is much more scenic and pleasant than Galveston.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:42 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Tried them all , going back to Yuma for the 3rd time. No bugs, sunny and dry. A cold day seems to be high 60s, yes the nights are cool but turn the heat on in the morning for a warm up and that's it. The wind seems to blow less than what we experienced in RGV. I'm sure we will go back to Texas someday lots of friends. Florida to crowded and the no see ems love me. We do love he Emerald coast area in Spring and fall.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:25 PM   #21
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
.... That said the weather in Florida, south of FT Myers, is usually warmer than anywhere else....
My conclusion as well. No place is going to be "on average" every day, and the Naples/Marco area was cooler/wetter than average last January due to El Nino, but far south Florida is going to be warmer on average than any other mainland option. We're so convinced of that we bought a winter coach lot in Naples.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:55 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile Thank you!

Such interesting posts!!! We are only a year or two from retirement and are also a restless pair that would prefer a week or two at each location. We had always thought Florida was it for the winter, but the information on Arizona and Texas surely caught my attention. The "no see-um's" love me, too! Ha ha!! I would love a thread of recommended RV parks for snow birds!!! There are so many to chose from, and I prefer the wise recommendations found here. Thank you!!!
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2RV View Post
Such interesting posts!!! We are only a year or two from retirement and are also a restless pair that would prefer a week or two at each location. We had always thought Florida was it for the winter, but the information on Arizona and Texas surely caught my attention. The "no see-um's" love me, too! Ha ha!! I would love a thread of recommended RV parks for snow birds!!! There are so many to chose from, and I prefer the wise recommendations found here. Thank you!!!
If you are interested in movinf every week or two, perhaps check the state park and federal sites. Most utilize a dump site rather than a sewer hookup, but, depending on tank size and habits, that often works for 1-2 week stays. Booking windows vary by agency, but many are accepting bookings now for next winter, so you can begin planning and booking now. You can use campgroundreviews.com for park reviews.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2RV View Post

There are no specific parks for snowbirds. They fill up every kind of park in the winter. It just depends on your budget and where you want to go. I strongly agree that roaming around and trying different areas for a couple weeks is the very best thing to do for your initial first years of snowbirding. Then you will find the ideal place for you, alone. Everyone has different needs in RVing. You need to find out the places you enjoy.

We always enjoyed moving around.... you have better opportunities to explore different parts of a state or area and different experiences. We like public parks the best - much better scenery and since we move every 1-2 weeks we don't need full hookups although some public parks have them. We found the best place for us was Arizona and we tried Florida and every state over to Arizona and beyond (California).

Good luck finding YOUR spot!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbr View Post
My conclusion as well. No place is going to be "on average" every day, and the Naples/Marco area was cooler/wetter than average last January due to El Nino, but far south Florida is going to be warmer on average than any other mainland option. We're so convinced of that we bought a winter coach lot in Naples.
I live in Naples so I don't go anywhere in the winter, except around the state.
mrfuni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter