Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2016, 06:04 AM   #1

Where to go for winter

I went to Central FL for month of January last year and had 8 good and warm days out of the month. Year before I went to Marco Island in January for two weeks and had 4 good and warm days. Any suggestions for January/February other than FL? I live in IN and think TX might be good...any suggestions for Southern TX?
swagn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 06:24 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagn View Post
I went to Central FL for month of January last year and had 8 good and warm days out of the month. Year before I went to Marco Island in January for two weeks and had 4 good and warm days. Any suggestions for January/February other than FL? I live in IN and think TX might be good...any suggestions for Southern TX?
Just wondering - what do you consider good and warm days? To me, that means sunny and 80 and above.

Last year FLA had an unusual large amount of rain in the winter.

We were in Marco Island a couple years ago for a week in January.......may not have been 80 everyday - hardly any rain - it certainly was better than "Back Home in Indiana".

I did learn from that trip when I left Marco early in the morning to drive home, there was a 20 degree colder temp in the Orlando area and that was after driving a couple hours.

We use to take ocean cruises all the time in winter. Even tho I was in the upper Caribbean, the air was "cool" versus the Southern Caribbean where it was "hot".

I bet Southern Texas would be warm to hot, I would consider San Antonio and south...

We head down to FLA this coming winter for some time and it will be better than what I would experience in the Heartland.............

Good luck,

g
Old 10-05-2016, 07:11 AM   #3

Every year we go to the Texas Hill Country. San Antonio/Kerrville/Bandera/Medina/Fredericksburg. Great place for winter!
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:33 AM   #4

My wife and I like the beach. There are two RV parks in Galveston I would look into. The first one is Dellanera RV Park (GALVESTON.COM: Dellanera RV Park) the second is Jamaica Beach RV park (https://www.jbrv.net/). We liked both for short term stays, I would think they would be fine for long term stays also. During the winter, most of the folks at Jamaica Beach RV park are from up north (no locals).

I hope this helps.

Rob
Old 10-05-2016, 07:41 AM   #5

We will be headed to Tucson for our 5th winter.. most days start with light jacket and end in shorts and short sleeve shirt..
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:44 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We went to AZ in 2014, Mesa. Love it and would go again. It is warm and dry. Wife isn't crazy about the arid landscape.

In 2015 we spent in the RGV, loved it more. The only negative there was the darned wind.

Our master plan had called for us to do Florida this year, then decide which area we like the best for the future. Well, we liked the RGV so,well, and further research have convinced us to return to the RGV this year.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:55 AM   #7

South Florida is it for the mainland.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	map_avghitmp_jan_4namus_enus_600x405.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	140780   Click image for larger version

Name:	map_avglotmp_jan_4namus_enus_600x405.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	140781  

emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagn View Post
Both times we were in the Rio Grande Valley it was cold and very windy. We like Texas much more than Florida because they actually want you to come to Texas. There is better entertainment in Texas. It is cheaper in Texas. Texas is a lot further to go in crappy weather.

We stayed in a place called Bentsen Palm Village RV Park and it was very nice except for the constant Border Patrol activity.

That said the weather in Florida, south of FT Myers, is usually warmer than anywhere else. And we go to Florida for now.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:07 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are pondering similar questions. Last winter was our first post retirement winter excursion from our home in VA. We basically spent one week in Myrtle Beach in Jan, then got on I-10 at Jacksonville and headed west, sampling places along the way.

We ended up in Tucson by Feb. The weather was nice and warm but we are a restless pair and don't want to stay in any one place for more than a couple of weeks at the most. We really enjoyed San Antonio and Kerrville, TX. It was warm during the days and cool at night. We don't think we would drive as far as AZ again.

This year we are on a waiting list for an RV park in Bradenton, FL for Jan. We may try that then head back to TX Hill Country.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:04 AM   #10

We've tried out all the wintering regions - quite a few times each. None are really warm in Dec and Jan. Yes, you can have some warm days but it won't be consistent. You'll most likely need a jacket. February and March are the best months in all the areas.

To us, Florida has bugs and humidity. We love the town of Gulf Shores, Alabama and the state park is full of snowbirders - you can stay all winter. However, it's similar to mid-Florida in temps. Deep south Texas has the same along with lots of wind. New Mexico is too cold. Arizona is just right - for us - no bugs, no humidity, sun just about every day. If there's a cold night it will warm up by 9-10am. It does get much cooler when the sun goes down.

I'd suggest trying out all the southern states and find the right one for you. Also, you need to try out different areas of the states. Move around and test out different RV parks or state parks. Everyone is different.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:08 AM   #11

We stay in Mesa AZ. best place for the winter.
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:19 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
This was posted by TechWriter in another thread...

12-month Temperature Map

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Techwriter created this nifty map to help us all.
https://rvseniormoments.files.wordpr...ap_08_2015.pdfhttps://rvseniormoments.files.wordpr...ap_08_2015.pdf
Old 10-05-2016, 05:54 PM   #14

In January we hung out in the RGV and watched the temps in Tucson,,, it was COLD most of January. Mid Febuary we headed to Tucson and it was beautiful till mid March when we left. That is what is so great about the RV lifestyle,,, don't like the weather,,, move. Don't like the neighbors,,,,,,
Peteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter