Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:01 PM   #1
Where to head East of WI?

My husband and I along with our 3 children are heading out in a 35' class A in a few weeks for the school year. We are all new to RVing and are trying to plan our general route. We're going to start by heading east, end up near the east coast then go south before we come back for Christmas. We haven't traveled that part of the country and are looking for ideas for must see places and events as well as campgrounds to stay at.

We don't want to have the whole trip planned out so we can experience things as they come up but would really appreciate feedback from those who've been there done that.

dreamin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well. East of WI... Is Upper Michigan (I like to promote MI)

Tahquamenon Falls State Park Just west of Paradise, MI. is one place you should stop.. Now I do not know if your rig will fit in the state park, Last time I was there (long ago) I think they offered 20/30 amp electric, luggable water and a dump station... But there are private campgrounds just down the road (Alas, KOA affilates I think,, KOA = KEEP ON ADDING to the price).

I have also stopped in a little county park in Grand Maris. Eastern end of Pictured Rocks National lake shore.. Now I know there are some other state parks and/or other parks between there and the eastern end, but you need to be on the eastern end to hop on a boat for a tour. Been there too.

Going south, via I-75 you come to Big Lake State park in Indian River
Sharing a line fence with the state park and in days of old a stairway connected (no longer thanks to idiots, no not governmental idiots but citizen idiots) with the park is a shrine to the Catholic Church's only Native American Saint from Michigan.. A 17th century Mohawk Kateri Tekakwitha (been there too, but then I am a Catholic boy).

Continuing south we come to Hartwick Pines state park,, I think they will have sites that can hold you (I think big lake will too, only one I'm not sure of is the falls) This is a park that pays homage to the lumber industry, it includes a stand of virgin pine, and a lumber camp. Used to have a park interpreter (One of the folks called rangers) who was fantastic, This man very likely knows more about logging industry and lore than any other human alive today. But when last I was there he told me they were eliminating his position and "Permoting" him to assistant manager (Again long ago).

From there south I can't help you much other than to suggest a stop at a little town called Frankenmuth. There is a private campground there. Also General Trailer Birch Run store, and one of the larger outlet malls.

(Birch Run is just, and I mean JUST south of Frankenmuth) This town is worth a visit.. The Always Christmas store is there, along with a very nice main street.. Yes, the town is a tourist trap.

From there you are an easy couple hours to Detroit, and can easily make Ohio and a left turn before the setting of the sun. Once you cross to Ohio.. Well, Cedar point might be worth a day or two for the kids. NOTE: When I went to the point last I stayed at a campground (Fort Firelands) East of Sandusky, Came in on Route 2. and listened to the radio tell me all about the backup getting into the park.... Of course when I finally got to that long line of cars.... I was about 3 from the ticket booth.. they were all behind me.. Just the way the traffic is routed.

But again, been many years.. All these trips were in my PUP days, then I got a trailer then, nearly a decade ago, this class A.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Hi dreamin5,
In north eastern Indiana there is Amish country. Around Nappanee and Shipshewana are excellent towns to visit and educate the kids. Next would be Niagara Falls. In Vermont there is the original Ben & Jerry's ice cream factory. Mt. Washington in New Hampshire is another good stop for some education. Worlds worst weather. In Maine there is Acadia NP. In Mass., of course there is the Boston area with all the Revolutionary war history. Plymouth Rock is in Plymouth .

There is more to see than you have time for. CGs will be difficult after Columbus Day. Make sure you have reservations for whenever Columbus day weekend falls. It is a very big camping holiday weekend in New England area.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Adding to some of the excellent suggestions of WA8: visit Munising on Lake Superior and the Pictured Rocks National Seashore. There are a couple of nice campgrounds just outside of Munising. If you're towing a car, then a visit to the Keweenaw peninsula and Copper Harbor are well worth the drive. Farther east is Sault St. Marie where you can watch big cargo ships go through the locks from Lake Superior. But keep in mind that the camping season is drawing to a close for the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and many campgrounds may close by Labor Day.
Dan & Geri and our rescue sheltie, Casey
2015 Winnebago View 24J
dancogan is offline   Reply With Quote