Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wink Where would you go??

The husband and I talk about moving south where they have WARMER winters, but what would your recommendations be? We still have at least ten years to work before retiring (we're almost 55 now) and one of our children and their family would probably follow us eventually. We would want to be near a BIG city with sports, etc. - along with shopping and history - not too far from a major freeway or interstate, good job opportunities, golf, low taxes??, etc. North Carolina? South Carolina? Georgia? Florida? We wouldn't want to head West because it would be too far from family in Michigan. Any recommendations on cities?? We LOVED the Charleston area, but what about livability there??
Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Born2RV,
Consider Florida, depending on your skills the Tampa area. It meets all your criteria. No state income tax, low property taxes, next to I75 (quick/easy travel to Michigan), lots to do. The area is a large cosmopolitan area. There are several major and minor league sports teams. One can be down right rural to down town Tampa in 30 minutes or less. Too much to mention in a post.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Florida - God's waiting room...
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Dave & I have been considering The Gardens. Condos that don't require us to mow lawns or shovel snow & attached RV garages where we can store the coach to use as a "guest suite". I still want 4 seasons & I like snow, I just don't want winter to be as long or dreary as it is here in Ohio.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I spent last winter in South Carolina, Oconee county (low lands, only aroudn 860 feet above sea level) It snowed twice,, First time on Friday, melted Saturday, I did not have cause to insert key in ignition till Sunday roads were clear and dry

Second time Tuesday Morning, melted that same afternoon, key hit Ignition Wed evening.

We did get a few nights that dropped below freezing, hose froze once, motor home never. (we full time) and next year... Look for me to be singing in the choir at St. Paul the Apostle once again.... Cause we loved it.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heartland RV Club
Tampa is a great area to live and work. I lived there with my second wife and would not hesitate to go back, given the opportunity. I am however moving to Texas next month, tired of the Vermont winters. I loved living in Tampa Bay, if I went back, I'd look in Thononassasa or Zepherhills, is more rural, yet still close to Tampa. Hope this helps.
meworrynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:25 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We sold our house in PA in 2005 and full-timed for 5 years. We now have a condo property, specifically designed with RVs in mind, in Zephyrhills, FL and are very satisfied with the location. In 35 - 45 minutes we can be anywhere in the Tampa metro area and have easy access to I-4, I-75 and US 301. On the other hand, we can drive east for 10 minutes and be in a very rural area. I highly recommend the Dade City/Zephyrhills/Plant City area.

Discounting this past, unusual winter, there are normally about three or four frosty mornings in the course of winter. Then, the sun is up and all is again right in the world!

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
If you want 4 seasons, large city, Pro & college sports. You may consider Charlotte, NC. We are 4 hrs to the coast & 2 hours to the mountians. We usually get 2-3 snowfalls a year that will clear up within a day possibly 2 days. You can live in NC or SC and still be near the city. We have a lot of recreation, several lakes for water sports. If you want to be in the country but still close to the city it is possible any where in this area. There are job opportunities here also.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:28 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question

Thank you for all the advice! I guess we start job hunting and see where it takes us. We'd prefer the Tampa or Orlando area I guess - but it'll depend on work since we have 8 to 10 years yet. No rush - we'll take our time and think this out carefully.

We'd like a SMALL house or something (rv resort?) where we can store our motorhome next to us or under cover next to us. We've looked at Bay Lakes, but not sure of the cost and limitations. We won't have much money to spend. Any suggestions or ideas? We don't want to live in our motorhome full time yet, and want a "home base" of sorts. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2RV View Post
We'd like a SMALL house or something (rv resort?) where we can store our motorhome next to us or under cover next to us.
There are two places in the Zephyrhills area that meet your wants. Emerald Point and American Condominiums Park-Zephyrhills (where we live). They were both created with the RVer in mind and at each you own the property and may keep your RV on-site. Most mobile home parks will not allow you to have your RV on-site.

In our park, properties may be as simple as a grassy spot with a poured concrete patio. Some are paved and have a "roof-over" for the RV. There are some with a park model and carport.

You'll have to think about an explortory trip down here sometime.

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Born2RV,
In central Florida there are several places that combine a home and place for your RV. Go to Fl RV Parks - RV Retirement community - Florida RV Park and read about the CRF communities. Then Google "crf properties Florida". This will provide choices for you to view resale properties in their communities.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:27 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question

We've just spent some time going over all the different options, and decided that we'll move when the children and grandchildren go south - in 3 to 7 years. If we go before 7 years, then we'll have to find some work - me-full time, and the husband-part time. We'd prefer a SMALL 2 bedroom, 1 or 2 bath house - typical florida style (brick, block or stucco) with screen porch, etc. - but what are our chances of finding something like that UNDER 100,000 with no restrictions so we can build a RV storage barn? We'd LOVE a fixer - since that'll keep the hubby busy. Having been in the banking industry his whole life, he says his DREAM job is to work part time at Home Depot! What are the property taxes, etc. like in Florida???
Old 06-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Born2RV,
In north or central Florida (the rural counties) you should find what you're looking for. South of I4 it will be difficult. Property taxes in rural counties are quite reasonable. The more populated areas are higher. The farther south one goes the higher the property taxes are.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:21 PM   #14

Why don't you travel a little? You have a home on wheels, so why stay in one place. You could spend some time in one place, move to another place after a while, just bounce around until you find the perfect place. You may even end up someplace that you have never even considered. If you look at a US map, you will notice the NC & TN southmost state lines extending east/west. winters south of this are generally mild (except for higher elevations). The snows that wa8xym spoke of for Oconee County, SC are infrequent (we worked/lived in Oconee County for many years and are quite familiar with the area and it's weather). Winters tend to be mild and summers are ghastly hot (very high humidity due to the local lakes... jocassee, keowee & hartwell).
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote