Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2018, 03:39 PM   #1

Which Campground Would You Never Go Back To? (Pt 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Fireside Resort Wilson WY. Owned by same people that own Fireside in Buffalo valley. One of the worst RV parks I've ever stayed at. All the roads were filled with potholes, and locals said it's like that all the time. We had a heavy rain overnight and the site was like a swamp. We had standing water for two days. When we went to leave the entrance is a single lane. You cannot pass in it and it's about 200 yds long. Departure day, RVs checking in backed up down the entrance way and we had to sit there for over an hour.
I stumbled upon an old thread and, while it's over a year old and can't be replied to, I thought I'd try to resuscitate it!

There are so many campground owners who put a lot of time, effort & money into their facilities and should be recognized appropriately.

Conversely, there is nothing worse than a campground that either misrepresents itself or doesn't invest to keep its facility up to minimum par. With that said, we've stayed at over 100 facilities in the past 3 years and Fireside is at the bottom of our list. It is NOT a resort, barely a campground.

Additionally, we just returned from a stay at a park that either had a meth lab on property or is built on an old garbage dump, as my LP alarm would not shut off. We don't carry LP. Per the manual, other things that would cause it to go off include methane. Before and after our stay, no alarm. That park is Leisure Acres, Cleveland GA.

So, while better to be positive, I think we should know about the campgrounds that aren't doing their part to provide a reasonable value & experience or are misrepresenting themselves and thus hurting their fellow campground owners.

Yours?
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2018, 04:05 PM   #2

I will add Tampa East RV Park (Seffner FL) to your new post.
The online info, photos and rates all looked great, so we booked 3-4 months in advance for a 3 day stay in January 2017.
Upon arrival at the main office, they sent down the street a couple of blocks to another park they own and put us on a site that was at the end of an alley, under a giant tree on a mix of weeds, sand and not the least bit level!
We drove back to the office and said it was not acceptable, and one staff member said "we never put anyone on that site" so they issued us a new site in the middle of 50-60 year old small mobile homes!
Our tiny site was literally 3 feet off the roadway and 6 feet from a long term resident's mobile home!
Not one person in the park would say hello, and it was easy to tell they were not happy to have a transient RV in their little community.
My sense is that Tampa East purchased an old mobile home park and were trying to cram people into any space just for the cash grab.
Three miserable days, lots of complaints on every RV review site possible, and not one response from Tampa East.
We've stayed at several parks across the US and Canada, both high end resorts and modest campgrounds, and this was by far, our worst experience.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #3

I would add Cielo Vista RV Park in Truth or Consequences NM. Horrible owner/manager. Restrooms were not clean or stocked. There were so many rules that we could barely let the kids play outside. I've never been treated so rudely in my life. We will definitely never stay there again!
hamfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #4

Candy Hill, Winchester, VA
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:17 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Crystal hot springs and rv park in treminton UT . Run by children who have no clue and if you are longer then 32 feet you can't stay ( even though we fit!) 4 rv 's in the park so we weren't blocking any roads or parked on grass.
sledwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:32 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I'm going to second Fireside in Wilson WY. Nowhere near being a resort.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:13 PM   #7

Plymouth Rock RV Park in Plymouth WI. I had a 43 foot fifth wheel and reserved a big rig 50 amp pull thru site 3momths in advance. When I got there they assigned me a 35 foot 30 amp back in site. I went back to the office and told them rhat I could not fit in that site and I had reserved a 50 amp pull thru. They said all they had available was a site in the back that had a septic tank at the end of a back in site but it had 50 amp. It was a horrible site. The Park was also over crowded, filled with long term renters and horribly managed. I was there a week and my daughter and grandson only came over once to visit and wouldn’t come back it was so filthy.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:38 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
And this was such a great Campground when Mr Poe built it and ran it
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Can you tell us why???? We used it a couple of years ago and besides the road noise was a very clean and well run place.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:46 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Can you tell us why???? We used it a couple of years ago and besides the road noise was a very clean and well run place.
Well,sometimes the owners start "Happy Hour" a little early and can be quite sarcastic...Pulled in one time ..off season....place almost empty..asked the man for one of the "H"sites...which are 4 longer pull
thurs paved...he looked at me and said "you'll get what I give You"
And the guy behind me asked for same area,got the same sarcastic answer
Best part...those sites stayed empty all night
So,I just plan trip around them....not too hard to do...C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:02 AM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
NOPE NOPE NOPE....
Peppertree West Motor Inn and RV Park - Centralia, WA - RV Park Reviews
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:23 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've forgotten the names, however, we stayed at a very nice CG right on Lake Okechobee in Florida. Over a hundred sites right on the water. Problem? Only a dozen or so rigs there. Nothing to do. 45 minute drive to civilization. A large marina which had maybe half a dozen boats. Paid for a week but left after three days forfeiting the money.

Found a CG in Fort Lauderdale where we have relations. Nice park, middle of the city. We were put in the back with lots of older mobile homes. I am sure some were selling drugs as they were inhabited by young men who had lots of late night visitors. The front of the park was very nice and inhabited by French Canadians. We would go for walks and my Wife who speaks French would say hello to them. They would not respond.

Sooo, we stayed a while and left for friendlier places.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #13

KOA Mount Vernon in Renfro Valley KY. The owners were very pleasant as were the grounds. The access road was a seriously hazardous to big rigs.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Owner and/or manager is a complete jerk.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground