Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #1

Which campsite do you like best at Mohican...

Can any of my pond piggie friends help me out? We are going to keep our fingers cross and try and make a reservation at a Mohican campground during
the 4th of July holiday. I just feel over whelmed by how many different campgrounds are in that area. Can anyone suggest their favorite campground
and even their favorite site? We like a drive through with full hookup.
My many thanks to all...
Nanette

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2009, 07:39 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Good luck...We love the state park (Mohican) But I'm sure that is sold out for the 4th. If I had a 2nd pick it would be Whispering Hills about 6 miles East Northeast of downtown Loudonvillle. They have some pull-thru's but they are a good distance from the pool area. Are you looking for a full service site or a W/E site. There are some nice back in full service sites near the pool area. I like sites Maple #4 and Elm #22. In that same area but with only W/E I like sites Maple #'s 8,9,10 and 11. These are nice and large, with a little shade. Also Elm #'s 2 or 3. the rest rooms/ showerhouse are very clean. They have a nice (free) mini-golf, the pool is large, the disc golf course is nice and open. they have a nice fishing lake across the street.

Over-all the private campgrounds in the Mohican area are very pricey. Even the state park is $30 a night. I made a weekend reservation there for the last weekend in Aug. If you would have wanted the 4th at the state park, you would have had to made a reservation 6 months before that date. Now they do have the first 25 sites at the state park as walk-in, that are first come first serve. If you came in earlier in the week you might have a chance. Half of those are pull-thru's (W/E).

Now another pick would be one of the private campgrounds down Wally Rd., which runs on the other side of the river. But in my opinion they pack you in like sardins for $$$$$.

Now Mohican Adventure's campground is right across the street from the canoe places. I have rode my bike thru there a few times because it is near the state park. The sites near the front of the campground are very tight. The ones at the rear of the park are newer sites with a little more room.

We have been to Whispering Hills 4 times and Mohican State Park maybe 25 times.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I just checked Mohican State Park. Yes, all sold out. Fact, just about every day is gone for the whole month of July except a few midweek days here and there. There are sites available from mid Aug on.....Now you might luck out it you check each morning at 7am on the Ohio state parks website. Because if someone cancels, that sites goes back on the market at 7am. You never know....

You are welcome to gone us for Memorial Day weekend at Cutty's Sunset campground just SE of Akron. So far we have 9 families in the full service K section. Just ask for the Pond Piggies area. Here is a thread Cutty's for that weekend.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
JIm's the expert on the Mohican area so he covered the campgrounds there, but in case you can't get a campground in the Mohican area, consider joining several of us at Lock 30 Campground in Lisbon Ohio. I know it's not the area you were looking for, but might do for you if Mohican is booked up.

Here is a Lock 30 for July 4th thread
Old 04-15-2009, 07:42 AM   #5

Thanks Jim and my friends from Butler PA.
I checked yesterday at the SP and they said to cb every day to see if anyone has canceled. The man at the reservation line laughed when I asked if it that would be harassing him...We have a site reserved at WH already for the first w/e in June. We have a pull throu site by the pool area. I didn't realize that the campground was so close to the Mohican area. Last year we camped with Bill and Michelle's family and had fun finding a really cool hardware store.

Thank you also for the invite to Cutty's. I do want to camp there soon, but we have
that w/e at Cedarbrook. We are taking the kids to Kings Island and that worked out best for us last year when we made that trip. Our site there is 75 a p/th that doesn't look very big, but they are pretty full already for that w/e.

I will meet most of you hopefully during your rally at evergreen. We will be there just for the w/e starting on the 19th. Stop by and say hi we will be at site 54.

Thanks again for getting me such good info for our trips.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Some of the state parks in Ohio fill; up fast. Yesterday I made a reservation for West Branch's Halloween camp-out in Oct. I'm arriving on a Wed., well this morning they sold out for the Thursday arrivals by 7:30am. If anyone is interested Mohican has 2 weekends for their Halloween Camp-out (Oct 16-19) & ( Oct 23-25th). It looks like they have a good deal of sites left....for the first weekend.....
Old 04-16-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Nanette,

Our favorite in the Loudonville area is, of course, Mohican SP. But, as you've found out, it's booked. As a matter of fact, the Loudonville area is THE hot spot in that area for camping & finding a site for a holiday weekend is quite difficult without really advanced planning.

We were at Mohican SP for several days early last fall & took the time to scope out several other cg's in the area. The ones I list here are not pull-thrus, they'd be back-ins & most grassy or gravel. I would not suggest Mohican Adventures. We biked (or tried to, the roads are pretty steep) through there & found the sites VERY close together. I also ducked into the restrooms & they weren't very clean. I would've expected better on the weekday we checked it out. I didn't care for Mohican Wilderness or Mohican Reservation, either. Both are pretty well run down. River Run is pretty decent. They've got a nice pool & gameroom, but also has a lot of seasonals. Arrow Point is another one on the same road, but I wasn't all that impressed since most of the sites were in an open area w/no trees &, again, it was heavily seasonal. One that pleasantly suprised me was Smith's. The owner is super nice. They've got some HUGE river front sites and you can sign up for canoe trips that start up river & you end up back at the campground. Or, if you bring your own canoe/tube & get one of those river sites, you can float your way down the river right from the back of your site. The pool, although closed because we were there after Labor Day, looked nice & they've got a playground w/all new equipment. We've got it on our list of cg's to stay at - with sites 13, 15 & 16 star'd for having nice wide banks to the river (most in this row are VERY deep sites). You might wanna check them out. Now, one that we haven't seen is Camp Toodik. I've heard good things about that cg & want to check it out the next time we're in the Mohican area (probably staying at either the SP or Smith's).

I'll stop by to say HI to you at Evergreen. Feel free to join us for group campfire. Nice chance to meet our members that'll be there for the Rally.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:35 AM   #8

WOW, you guys are good. Thanks for so much good stuff...
Ron and I are now considering to move our Mohican trip to the end of july or aug.
Since he has an extra day for the holiday we are looking into camping at Gatlinburg Tn. There are 2 or 3 campsites I'm still checking out...If anyone is interested in a road trip let us know?
Old 04-17-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
You're quite welcome! That area will be quite busy the end of Aug - Labor Day coming up & folks trying to get in camping before kids get back in school - so make reservations as early as you can for then.

Most of us Pond Piggies have stayed at or checked out the OH cg's (both private & state park) so we've got a handle on the ammenities (both good & bad). Jim (Superslif) is our resident state park expert & has detailed lists w/photos of the ideal sites.

Of course, opinions are just that, opinions & what's liked by one could be a turn-off to another (just look at the range of ratings for a cg on rvparkreviews). There's about 8 or 9 families of us that get together off & on throughout the season & we pretty much agree on what the good cg's are. If ya ever need a suggestion, just ask. You can also check out my photos of campgrounds on iRV2 (under my member name) & when they get the campground reviews section back up & running, I've got quite a few in OH/PA/WV that I've completed.

For Gatlinburg, we checked out Outdoor Resorts when we were in the area & it was quite nice. Lush landscaping, beautiful sites & extremely nice ammenities. We also had one of our national rallies at River Plantation. The host there were very nice, the sites were med-large (especially the ones backing to the river) & the pool was great. It's centrally located to all the tourist-y things, although it can be difficult to turn left out onto the parkway from the entrance. It's quite congested there.

Lori-
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Old 04-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #10

I made reservations at Adventure Bound in Gatlinburg Tn.for the july 4th weekend.
Hope I can trust the reviews on it, its about 12 miles from downtown.
I'll let everyone know when we get back how it was.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:12 PM   #11

We just got back from our weekend at Whispering Hills. The campground was packed and the folks there did a great job keeping everything very calm. The only downer was the boys did not catch any fish, they did not like that their dad was catching all the fish. We did take a drive down to Mohican river. We
went on a very nice raft ride that took about 2.5 hours. We went back to visit Lehman's hardware and a quilt shop. The weather was perfect. In 2 weeks we are planning on evergreen rv resort then we are going to Outdoor resorts in Gatlinburg TN. Thanks for all your imput we changed our plans due to your advice and it was worth it.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:00 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mycowboyz View Post
..In 2 weeks we are planning on evergreen rv resort
Does that put you at Evergreen the wknd of Jun 20? If so, there will still be some of us still there from the iRV2 National Rally. The Rally wraps up on Saturday, but I know there will be several of us hangin' out 'til Sun or beyond. Stop over & say hi if you're around.

WH is one of our favorite CG's. Can't beat the free mini golf & the disc golf. I just wish they had a better heating system for the pool. The "solar" heating doesn't quite do it for me, it's usually pretty chilly!

Lori-
Old 06-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #13

Evergreen on RT 250 has everthing you would want and more. it is a little pricey around 45 a night. or amish country if you can get in don't have a lot of sites located at Winesburg OH on RT 62, that is the two I have stayed at .
Old 06-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
THREAD HIJACK ALERT!

Hi Willie, I see you just joined. Welcome to iRV2 . From one Bounder owner to another, we're glad to have you here. I see you're from Clyde. We've shopped at Town & Country RV Center so I know your area. If you get a chance, check out the North Central & Pond Piggie Forums for campouts. We've got a fairly active group from C/NE OH & W PA that camp together throughout the season & we post our campouts there. We'd welcome you to join us. Also, post your upcoming campings there & any one of us might be able to join you.

Hope to see you down the road!

Lori-