Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #15

This was taken May 31st, 2012 heading out of Destruction Bay, Yukon. Kluane Lake was also mostly frozen. But it all just adds to the adventure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	On the Rd. to Tok.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	81609  

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneandea View Post
I plan on going up next year we are in North Carolina. I thought I would go into Canada in Alberta and then head west and north. Not sure about time first of May I guess any suggestions on time/route would be great.

Gene and Bea
Start time varies year by year depending on weather. When I rode my motorcycle up to Alaska in mid-May 2008 the weather and road conditions were great. I had one morning at the end of may when it was 31 degrees but most mornings it was in the low to mid 40's and then warmed up as they day went on.

I forget if it was the year before or after, a friend rode his bike up in May as well and ended up in a motel for a few days along the way due to a fresh heavy snowfall.

If the weather and roads look good, we'll leave from Vancouver, BC in early May and if not a couple of weeks later. As long as the weather is not looking really bad, we'll leave mid-may at the latest and just spend a little more time making our way north as the weather improves.

When planning your timing also remember that it will take some time for you to get up to northern BC and the Yukon so there is lots of time for the weather to improve.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:19 PM   #17

Kluane Lake and Congdon Creek Yukon Govt Campground were favorites of ours on our trip to Alaska this past summer. I loved, loved, loved the entire trip. We entered Canada at Sweetgrass, MT and exited at Oroville, WA. We are already planning our next trip which will focus on Valdez, Homer, and Denali Natl Park. We see no need to return to Anchorage, Seward, or Fairbanks. By the way, we had Verizon 4G cell service in Denali. We had good to excellent Verizon cell and MIFI service throughout Alaska. We had our phones off in Canada though. Some places in the Yukon have no cell service or even 911 service at all. You can safely stay in pullouts along your route. Even in some campgrounds, we chose to dry camp for a much reduced price. Most of the campgrounds are just not that great and if you want hook ups, you are usually slide to slide with your neighbor. They are pricey too. Use the lat/long coordinates in the Church's book to find campgrounds since many places do not have traditional addresses. Do not be surprised if your GPS goes haywire from time to time. Ours did and everyone we talked with had the same problem.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #18

How are the Mosquitos? That's one of our significant concerns regarding Alaska.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #19

Who's RV'ing to Alaska in 2015?

The only places we thought the mosquitos were a problem was Fairbanks and at a BLM campground between Glenallen and Valdez. In those two places we had to run to get from the truck to the RV and vice versa. We could not be out at all in those two locations. We did not have any problems anywhere else on our journey and believe me when I say mosquitos see me as their own personal blood bank.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #20

Mosquitos depend on the weather so there's no guarantee. The last time we went was a relatively dry summer and we weren't bothered by mosquitos at all.

Typically it problems would be deep in the forests which most folks rarely go or around water - waterfalls, rivers, lakes. However, the year we went we didn't have a problem around those areas.

Michigan's Upper Peninsula's mosquitos were much worse!

Really....you hear a lot of horror stories about Alaska. I think most of those started 100 years ago. The trip nowadays is just like driving in the boonies of the lower 48. Yes, you will encounter construction areas - just like in the lower 48. There are frost heaves on the roads in certain areas but most of them are well marked with cones and what is not, you'll soon learn to spot them at a distance. The key is this should be a leisurely trip. It will not be interstate-type driving. Your speed can be as little as 20mph in construction zones and 50mph normal. Allow plenty of time for the trip. It's a long drive but it's totally worth it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:20 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
We are leaving Sask. in the last of July and do a ringer thru Dawson creek to Whitehorse the down 37 to Smithers on to Prince George then Vancouver by the end Sept.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:34 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksalotct View Post
How are the Mosquitos? That's one of our significant concerns regarding Alaska.
When I was there, early in the season, in '08 I didn't encounter a single mosquito but, as others have said, it all depends upon the weather and amount of standing water. Though we'll hope for a good mosquito-less year, we'll be bringing some good mosquito repellent with "deep", the only thing proven year after year to work with those little pests.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #23

Make sure you bring bug repellent with you as there was none to be found in Fairbanks a couple years ago and that area seems to have a bad mosquito problem.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What about doing laundry, we have a washer/dryer combo and use it regularly How however we stay in campgrounds usually full hookup. what about boon docking etc. we have a generator but not very practical to rely on it. I know we can wash at the laundry mat at???? what's the norm?
Old 12-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Our plan is to do a combination of boondocking and RV parks (full hookup). Having a full hookup will allow us (DW actually) to do our laundry using our stacker washer/dryer. The washing is really the issue as it uses a lot of water and needs a corresponding amount of grey water drainage. If we are unable to get a full hookup when needed then there is always the option of using a laundromat, which I hear are readily available.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #26

Who's RV'ing to Alaska in 2015?

We only used a laundry twice and that was in Valdez and Denali Natl Park. It was pretty darned expensive ($3 per wash and $3 for dry). Denali even charges for showers ($5, more if you needed a towel). We stayed 6 nights in Denali and managed just fine with the water in our freshwater tank. We dry camped about a third of the time and probably only stayed in full hook up sites about a third of the time. The rest of the time, we had just electric and used the pump and freshwater tank for our laundry. We have stackable washer and dryer and can safely wash one or two loads and still have room for showers and dish washing for a couple of days. Only once did we have to hook up and dump tanks/take on fresh water since we did not have our waste tote with us. You will not find 50 amp much in Alaska either. You generally will not need a/c and more likely will need a space heater but if you are used to 50 amp all the time, you will have to do some energy management. I would also recommend a good pair of hiking boots because everything is gravel up that way and a good rain jacket. We wore our rain jackets over a fleece sweatshirt and used ear bands and gloves when we went on our glacier boat tour. It was freezing cold that close to the glacier and you will want to go out on deck to take pictures. Usually we could get by with just a sweatshirt and occasionally it would be warm enough for short sleeves.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:36 PM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
We traveled to Alaska this summer from Cape Cod, you can find the entire trip at capecodtoalaska2014.com. We join a Fantasy tour at Dawson Creek for 48 days.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Retiring next year. Alaska is a long trip to talk to yourself on. Might not be the best idea.

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving