Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2015, 09:28 AM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Richard,

We decided to stay here one more night to allow me time to do a few maintenance chores on the coach today.

We have done the Cassiar before as well. My wife did it in our CR-V a couple of years ago and I did it on a solo motorcycle trip up to Alaska in late May 2008. On my motorcycle trip I saw more wildlife on a long day riding up the Cassiar than I saw during an entire week in Alaska. When my DW and I went up the Cassiar in our car in mid-summer we saw only a fraction of the count from my prior trip.

I believe the early spring is the best for spotting wildlife but the fall is the best for seeing the bears feasting on salmon at Hyder.

We're taking the Alcan down through Dawson Creek in late August.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2015, 07:49 AM   #58

The DW and I are counting down the days for our trip to begin. Planning to leave LA (Lower Alabama) May 21st heading up threw Missouri, and into Canada hopefully by May 30th.
If you see a 40' Hoilday Rambler Endeavor towing a Chevy Traverse stop in and say hello.

Safe travels to all

Old 05-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
The last two days have been in Dease Lake after boondocking one night off Hwy-37A into Stewart/Hyder.

We spotted several black bears and caribou on our way north to Dease Lake. Several of the bears were undaunted by cars and allowed us to stop mere feet away to take pictures from the safety of our coach. The caribou on the other hand were a little more camera shy and ran off into the woods as soon as we approached.

Unfortunately our Internet connection at this RV park is too slow to post pictures and I have no cell phone service here.

Yesterday we took a 112 km (140 miles return) gravel road drive out to the national heritage site of Telegraph Creek. The scenery of the canyons along the Stikine River were fantastic. They showed the erosion through hundreds of feet of ancient lava beds leaving sheer cliffs towering over the raging waters at the bottom. In Telegraph Creek you can still see the remains of the old buildings left behind by the miners and telegraph crews.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:09 PM   #60

Tiffin Owners Club
Leaving Boise, ID on the 28th as we have to be to Swan Lake RV Resort, Vernon, BC on the 30th to meet up with some friends to start the venture on the 1st of June, plan on returning to the lower 48 the end of Aug 1st part of Sept. Everyone have safe travels & hope to meet some of you along the way.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:16 PM   #61

Smile Safe Travels

We leave Southern Cal. 6 Jun and will return sometime in Sept. Everyone have safe travels and we will see some of you in Alaska.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:43 PM   #62

We crossed over May 1 at Sweetwater,Mt stayed a couple days in Banff NP drove the Icefield Highway in rain, fog, snow and didn't see much. Stuck two nights in Hinton AB due to sloppy Highway 40 to Grand Prairie. Made Dawson Creek Friday the 8th, roads good all the way to Destruction Bay then prepare to slow down. Now in Beaver Creek YT will cross back to USA tomorrow and cheaper beer prices. Yukon Brewery in Whitehorse is worth the visit .
Many campgrounds had not opened and attractions and a few visitor centers had not yet opened tho should in the next 2 weeks. We have had no problem using swipe credit cards but good to carry CAD's for small purchases.
'17' F350 6.7 CC King Ranch DRW 4x4 4:10s B&W 20 K Companion Hitch
'04' NuWa 33.5 RLTG DA Demco GlideRide pin box
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:35 PM   #63

We crossed In ND, had strong winds across Canada, nothing but flat farm lands until we hit Alberta. Suggest for scenery cross into Alberta or west. Other then winds, good weather so far - now in Tok for a couple of days. Ful prices as we went through were Ft Nelson $1.239, Toad River $1.389, Watson Lake $1.109, Whitehorse $1.099, Destruction Bay YT $1.299, Tox Alaska $3.28 with discount of .02 if you stay at Tok RV park.
If not listed in travel books as free Wifi you will probably get only first 30 minutes free then pay for additional. After Whitehorse the Kluane RV park in Haines Jct was not open yet. Not much open after that. Rv park in destruction Bay opened early when he saw several RV at the fuel station, but water was not turned on as yet. You can dry camp at the motel next to the gas station or go up a little bit on left Destruction Bay Lodge. Beyond that we saw nothing open until Tok yesterday. After Destruction Bay approx. 20 mi hit gravel roads on and off until Alaska State line. Many like wash boards, might be better in diesel pushers with air ride but teeth rattlers in gas chassis even at low speed.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:51 PM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We're headed up from west GA on July 5. Via Banff, Hinton, Ft St John, Toad River, Haines Junction, and into Anchorage. New grandson due to arrive on the scene in Anchorage any minute and his soon to be Grandmother wants to go hug and squeeze him for at least 3 weeks- then back home.
Counting the seconds until July 5!!! Can't wait
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
Fuel Prices

I was noting diesel pricing as we came north and discovered some interesting information and identified one location that is clearly taking advantage of unaware travellers.

Note that the following prices are in Canadian dollars and liters. To enable a relevant comparison, 1 Canadian Dollar currently equals 0.83 US Dollar, so fuel at $1.129/lt. Canadian equals $3.55 per US gallon.

Canadian cost per liter for diesel:
$1.129 – Vancouver, BC
$1.029 – Quesnel, BC
$1.089 – Prince George, BC
$1.219 – Dease Lake, BC
$1.379 – Hwy 37 & Alaskan Hwy Junction
$1.129 – Watson Lake, YT
$1.259 – Whitehorse, YT

Fuel prices in Vancouver are higher due to an additional regional transportation tax but were surprisingly low in Quesnel. The price in Prince George was as expected as was the higher price in Dease Lake due to its remote location. The real surprise was the station conveniently located at the junction of the Cassiar Hwy (Hwy-37) and the Alaskan Highway. This location is a mere 20 kilometers from Watson Lake yet they charge 25 cents per liter more for their fuel – gouging expecting travellers. I was very happy I drove into Watson Lake, even though it was not the direction I was going, as I took on nearly 100 gallons of fuel.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:55 AM   #66

Newmar Owners Club
RV Parks

RV Parks along our journey north have been interesting and I though some fellow and perspective travellers might wish to hear about what we’ve found.

In Telkwa, BC (just east of Smithers, BC) on the Yellowhead Highway (Hwy-16) we found Ft. Telkwa Campground and RV Park. It had only two pull-thru spots (30-amp) but several 50-amp back-in sites overlooking the river. The owners here were very friendly and unlike so many RV parks that don’t allow you to wash your RV or car, Ft. Telkwa provides a free pressure washer for you to clean up your rig. We really enjoyed this location and extended our stay.

In Dease Lake we stayed at the Dease Lake RV Park. This was very basic RV parka and they had not turned on the water to the sites yet. The owner said he was waiting a few more days as he expected the temp to drop to 26 degrees Fahrenheit that night and possibly freeze water lines. When I checked the 10-day weather forecast online it was not expected to drop below 37 degree. The park advertised free wi-fi. When I requested the password to access it the manager (owner?) told me to use it very sparingly as it was his personal wi-fi account and he had very little bandwidth. Even though he said it was his “personal” account, the connection was named “DLRV”, obviously named for the park.

A little west of Watson Lake, YT, we tried our first Yukon Government Campsite at Big Creek. Many state and provincial campsites we have stayed in, or tried to stay in, had limited sites for big rigs. Whoever designed this campsite understood their customers well – one-night travellers going to and from Alaska. Most of its campsites were drive-thru and level. We chose campsite #7, a spacious 100 ft. loop off the main driveway, and put our $12 in the self-registration envelope. These are dry campsites but well worth the cost for a short stay. We’ll be looking for other Yukon Campsites along the way.

In Whitehorse we chose Mountain Ridge Motel and RV Park, advertised as being big rig friendly. It was not. Not only could we (43 ft. DP) not get into any of their sites, we had to unhook our toad and get a motel guest to move his car to provide us with room to turn around to get out.

We then moved onto Hi Country RV Park, a location with the most draconian wi-fi system I’ve ever seen in a RV park. They advertise “Free Wi-Fi” but in reality you are entitled to 30-minutes of slow and censored access per day. No access to cloud based storage, software updates, video streaming and more is permitted. The 30 minutes starts from when you log on and is contiguous meaning you can’t download your email and then log off to read and write responses off-line. By the time you craft replies your 30 minutes is up without warning or knowing if your replies or postings actually went through. You can buy additional connection time at $3.95 per hour or $7.95 per day. As cell phone service is limited here, I’ll wait until tomorrow to post this.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:20 PM   #67

The Wifi is hit or miss on the free. We found that if Wifi was listed in various camping guides it was usually as Ron mentioned. The only free Wifi we have hit North of Whitehorse was at Destruction Bay RV. Unless specifically mentioned as free Wifi it will be limited, in our experience. The Wifi at Tok Rv is the same as Ron indicated 30 min free then pay for an hour, day ect. Day is $6.95, hour extra is $2.95. South to Palmer we have not found one listed as yet with completely free Wifi. Suspect more options closer to Anchorage.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:07 AM   #68

Google maps

Hi all,

Heading to Alaska in June 2015. Planned the route using google maps and times. I've found the times listed for mainland US a pretty good estimate. Has anyone got any comments on using the Google estimated travel times in Canada and Alaska?

Thanks,
ippongachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:03 AM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure about in Canada but the google maps times are fairly reasonable in Ak. It's a 5hr drive for me from anchorage to homer, I only make 1 potty stop and no fuel. Google list it at just under 6 hrs. I go the speed limit, no faster. But I don't slow much for corners and hammer it on the hills. Construction and rv's make this a 7-8hr drive at times.
Imurphy907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:31 PM   #70

For that trip, unless you definitely have to be somewhere at a specific time, I would not rely on a mapping program for times. Forget your clock for this adventure. Some days we'd only drive 50 miles or so because we found something of interest to spend a day or two. Don't plan out your whole trip and it'll be more relaxfull and enjoyable.

Take your time and you'll probably be stopping often at various interesting places or to view the critters along the way. Road construction is an unknown as are fires and washouts.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving