Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2015, 05:29 AM   #85

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Parks Highway Fire

UPDATE: Parks Highway shut down after Willow wildfire spreads to 6,500 acres | KTVA Anchorage CBS 11

Fire seems to have shut down part of the Parks Highway around Wasilla making for difficult travel for RV rs.

Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2015, 11:41 AM   #86

Monaco Owners Club
We went up to the arctic circle. Needed gas coming back. The only gas station was right next to the Yukon river. Had to pay $5.50/gal. Talk about gouging!!!

Old 06-16-2015, 12:22 AM   #87

Supply, demand and location! What do you think it should cost, considering what it takes to get fuel to a remote location and store it? Alaska is NOT like the 'lower 48' where it is easy to get items from one location to another and you have gas stations on every corner. Compared to some of the villages, $5.50 is cheap!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iahsatcs View Post
We went up to the arctic circle. Needed gas coming back. The only gas station was right next to the Yukon river. Had to pay $5.50/gal. Talk about gouging!!!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:31 PM   #88

The Parks has been open and closed a few times as the fire is jumping the road and they get flare-ups. This seems to be a big one and a number of homes and cabins have been destroyed. Another burn started yesterday in the Kenai along the Sterling Hwy, but I don't know if the road has been shut down yet or not. Soldatna school is taking evacuees. Hot dry weather in Alaska this summer and just about a total burning ban has been initiated to deal with the red flag conditions.

We're in Valdez right now getting ready to set some shrimp pots. Red salmon run in the Copper river has begun and we'll be heading that way before to long.
Pigman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:19 AM   #89

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iahsatcs View Post
I guess they pump the oil from the ground from right under them, turn into gas, and feed it right to the pumps and into your MH.

I to have have been to the Arctic Circle a few times from my years (9) while living in Fairbanks. I was driving a E150 van in those years and don't remember ever needing gas.

was a great place to send a couple nights as the sun rolled along the net sun set during our June 21 visits
Old 06-18-2015, 12:34 PM   #90

Today the Alaska governor issued a state of emergency for the Kenai Peninsula and Matanuska-Susitna Borough.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:41 PM   #91

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
What was the "state of emergency " for? Forest fires?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:41 PM   #92

Monaco Owners Club
yes fires. 7000 acres 6 miles from me is on fire. 9,000 acres 3 hrs south is on fire. and a dozen others. in total there is 68,000 acres of land on fire. most of it un manned and being monitored. due to it being in the middle of no where.
Imurphy907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:30 AM   #93

Drove to AK 2014 in 43' MH and agree with Michigan and their numerous biting insects also Fairbanks! just stay out of the wooded areas and bring Ben's Wipes w/30%deet. The roads there are better than lower 48! Key is to take it slow through the questionable areas of the Yukon!
Old 07-20-2015, 04:02 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imurphy907 View Post
yes fires. 7000 acres 6 miles from me is on fire. 9,000 acres 3 hrs south is on fire. and a dozen others. in total there is 68,000 acres of land on fire. most of it un manned and being monitored. due to it being in the middle of no where.

Of topic..but hope that you stay safe! I live in Southern California. The last big burn was 3 miles from us. All told 1,100 houses burned down. Fires are unpredictable. Be prepared.

2015 Newmar Ventana 3636 (almost finished..we saw pics !!), Cummins ISB,
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox Baseplate and Tow Bar
Old 07-20-2015, 04:11 PM   #95
HHg

Alaska was always on my list....UNTIL I saw what happened to motorhomes and toads that went up and came back. I have seen some horror stories. So....needless to say, Alaska is no longer on my list....unless it's an Alaskan Cruise. Too many other great places to visit and see !!

Hhg
Old 07-20-2015, 07:24 PM   #96

Monaco Owners Club
I make the trip from Alaska to Washington almost every year. For every horror story you hear. There was 800 people who did not have any issues.
Imurphy907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:32 PM   #97

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHg View Post
Alaska was always on my list....UNTIL I saw what happened to motorhomes and toads that went up and came back. I have seen some horror stories. So....needless to say, Alaska is no longer on my list....unless it's an Alaskan Cruise. Too many other great places to visit and see !!

Hhg
We just came back from Alaska. Most of the horror stories are over stated. If you drive the appropriate speed for the road conditions it should not be a problem. We drove the Robert Campbell Highway, The Klondike Highway, the Top of the World Highway and the Taylor Highway all are known to be hard on motorhomes. We did not have a problem on any of these roads. I would highly recommend this trip! Don't miss out. It is the trip of a lifetime.
RVi 2 Auxiliary Braking System
iRent2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:48 PM   #98

The 'horror' stories are carried over from many, many years ago and also from people who have never driven the trip.

There's absolutely no reason to avoid the drive to Alaska. The roads are all paved except for areas of repair/construction - the same as in the lower 48 every summer.

It's not interstate speed driving and once you get that in your head it's a relaxing, easy drive. We drove it for an all summer trip with our 40' motorhome towing the Jeep. Neither vehicle received any damage.

In fact, we left Arizona with a cracked windshield on the Jeep. We decided not to get it fixed thinking we'll just get another on the trip. We returned to Arizona 8 months later with the same cracked windshield.

You'll see hundreds of RVs along the way - every size. Fuel is readily available as are grocery stores. It's not the rugged trip of yesterday.

If you've ever wanted to go to Alaska - do it. It's the best experience you'll ever have!!

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving