Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2015, 11:18 PM   #99

We are on the way home from AK. This is our second trip. As others have said, you just drive as SLOW as the roads permit. Drove 10 - 15 miles per hour for about 4 hours on the Yukon portion of the highway. No hurry, no damage. A couple of fifth wheels and locals passed us like we were standing still during this section. I caught and passed them as they were changing flat tires. Slow and easy and you will be fine.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2015, 10:50 AM   #100

We did have a cracked windshield and a small dimple in the front cap of the 5th wheel along with a small dent in the hood of the truck. This occurred on great road from one big rock thrown out by a truck hauling gravel. Happens in the lower 48 all the time. Others we met traveling had no such issues; we were just the unlucky ones. Had the dent on the truck taken out and the windshield replaced once we returned to the lower 48. A couple months later, the windshield was again broken by a stone thrown up by a car on the interstate as they passed us. Drive sensibly and you will have no problems. Also make sure your equipment is in tip top shape. Many RVers passed us like we were standing still only to see them pulled off with some sort of damage. We used pull outs, and they are plentiful, to allow faster traffic past. Alaska is a trip well worth the risk. We are are planning a return trip in 2017.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:01 AM   #101

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A question to those who have recently gone to Alaska.

We are planning a trip in 2016 and I am in the process of getting everything ready. Do I need to have a bra for the front of my diesel pusher? I have a Guardian Rock Guard for the front of my Jeep. I plan on using a yoga mat for the Jeep's windshield. Should I or do I need to put up rock guards underneath both the engine of the MH and the undercarriage of the Jeep?

Thanks,
Gary
gmadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:51 AM   #102

We only had behind the wheel mud flaps on our motorhome. We had the 3M protection coating on the front of the motorhome. We had no protection for the towed Jeep. We had no dings or windshield damage.

In Whitehorse Yukon we actually saw a few motorhome owners taking off their stiff, across-the-rear flap. We looked at their towed and there was a heavy layer of large stones laying at the base of the windshields and the hoods heavily pitted. Now, I don't know how they were driving but this convinced yes that the big stiff flaps do nothing.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:08 PM   #103

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Made it to Anchorage from West Georgia. 5053 miles for us. Poked along and took 20 days through Yellowstone, Glacier, Banff then up the Alaska Highway. (I'm still shaking from the rough roads rattling the steering wheel)

Windshield was hit by 3 rocks from passing trucks (tankers) in Wyoming. The last one managed to get a 18 inch crack going. Tried a temp fix at West Yellowstone but its growing and the insurance folks are shipping a new one to Anchorage (fingers crossed that all comes together).

One broken line off the water supply (pressure side of the pump) near the tank which vibrated loose from the roads. Really have to criticize the workmanship as it was a bad crimp job. Things down below got a bit damp but are now dried out. Some dampness around hydraulic lines for levelers but no visual drippage.

We'll head home in a week or so. Not much sight seeing for us as we're here visiting our younguns and new grandson here in Anchorage. We were here last year and got in some good sight seeing then .

Also we used reflectix on the windshield of the toad (on a dolly). No windshield damage. That along with Protect- a Tow screen from the rear of the coach to the dolly seemed to do the job for the most part. Some smaller pebbles made it to the windshield of the toad and landed on the wipers and reflectix (maybe 4). Did find a few small pebbles that went over the roof or came up the side from passing trucks/cars that landed on the airfoil on the trunk of the toad-- but no major scratches.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:26 PM   #104

Northern california to fairbanks and back again

HI all,

Our family just finished a 2 month trip from Northern California to Fairbanks and back again. We drove a 2012 Winnie Vista, 32k. We had some electrical issues but never broke down. And our windshield never got cracked!! We put over 7500 miles on the RV. We did not tow a vehicle.

Worst roads were: northern Yukon where there was a 17 Km stretch of gravel washboard road. Hit that twice going and coming back. Had to go real slow but it still shook us up. The Tok cut off from Anchorage to Tok was not too good either. Lots of unmarked frost heaves. The northern part of the Cassiar Hwy is pretty bad but the lower part is nice and very scenic.

It was a great trip. Hope to do it again at a slower pace someday...The link to the blog of our trip is below
ippongachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:38 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We only had behind the wheel mud flaps on our motorhome. We had the 3M protection coating on the front of the motorhome. We had no protection for the towed Jeep. We had no dings or windshield damage.

In Whitehorse Yukon we actually saw a few motorhome owners taking off their stiff, across-the-rear flap. We looked at their towed and there was a heavy layer of large stones laying at the base of the windshields and the hoods heavily pitted. Now, I don't know how they were driving but this convinced yes that the big stiff flaps do nothing.
I was one of those in Whitehorse removing the billboard on our way up last year. No more rear flap, just the ones behind the rear duals and front. Much clearer than before.

Tags
rving