Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Why Can't All Veterans Use Military Campgrounds?

There are over 200 military campgrounds across the US and the average enlisted person, having served 3 or 4 yrs of active duty, is not eligible to use them. Even our combat veterans are barred from using these campgrounds. Doesn't seem right or fair to me.

Djwhitesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
Originally Posted by Djwhitesr View Post
There are over 200 military campgrounds across the US and the average enlisted person, having served 3 or 4 yrs of active duty, is not eligible to use them. Even our combat veterans are barred from using these campgrounds. Doesn't seem right or fair to me.
There are more than 20 million veterans in the US.

If they were issued veteran ID cards, we could then debate the merits of your request. The first thing addressed would have to be security.

Right now, there is no way for a gate guard to identify a veteran. This wouldn't be a problem for MWR facilities off base, but most are on bases.

Don't forget the bowling alleys, outdoor recreation shops, DIY car care centers, hobby shops and all the other MWR facilities. With your logic, why stop at campgrounds?

I think the MWR facilities are designed to serve current service members. Some are under used, for sure. Others are maxed out. (NAS Key West CG on Sigsbee Island in winter for one)

Retirees and DoD civilians (and some other groups) are granted use. Allowing veterans access just might overwhelm the system.

There would also have to be a way to give active service members first shot at a facility. Their R & R time is limited, and the facilities should be available for them when they have free time.

We can't thank our Vets enough, that's for sure. I just don't know if this is feasible.

If this were ever proposed, I'm sure the Pentagon would grumble and it wouldn't go far.

The big question would be cost. Right now, profits from the AAFES - PX/BX system are spent on the MWR system. I'm not sure how much of the MWR budget comes from military spending. I have always heard from DoD civilians that the AAFES money totally runs the MWR system.

So now, maybe Vets should have PX/BX privileges? More money into the pie can be more money spent on MWR? Don't think it will happen. Don't think it will work without MAJOR changes.

Maybe this is something you can propose to your local VFW or American Legion? The changes you are talking about would have to come from above.

Local commanders are granted authority to decide who has access to CGs. I have seen stories about local decisions that open military CGs to a lot of people. Locally, it can be done.

As an aside, I was at NAS Key West last month and was saddened to see an old Vet being turned away at the front gate (pass and ID center at front gate). He was with his spouse. He said he was in the Navy and stationed there many years ago. He just wanted to look around. He was told he couldn't enter without a sponsor and he could sign up for some visitors program offered every so often. Pretty sad what security has dictated.

Several years ago (pre-911) I drove onto Norfolk and parked right next to the USS Eisenhower without even blinking an eye at a gate guard. The base was wide open.

I would have signed the old guy and his wife in to Key West and taken them around with us, but I had my own problems. My DW had let her dependent ID card expire and the gate guard at Sigsbee confiscated it. lol

Getting a military ID card today is an extended process. It can take an hour or more if the paper work doesn't match up with the computer. That ID card is a ticket onto just about any military base in the US system.

The Veteran idea is not such a bad thing but it would be a security nightmare.

cj23andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Veterans with commissary privileges and a 100% disability rating from the VA can use the military campgrounds. You have to get a letter from your VA Regional Office stating that you have commissary privileges You have to take it along with your rating letter, your DD214 and, your Social Security card to the nearest military base to get your ID.

Jerry and Janell & Westie dog Gus (Augustus McCrae)
Navy by record Marine by choice
2005 Bounder 38N DP 300 CAT 2014 Jeep Wrangler
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
I am a veteran (USAF 1962-1966) and I don't have a problem with not having the same campground privileges as active and retired military, military CGs would be overwhelmed by the millions of us 3-6 year vets-not fair to those who are currently serving or have dedicated their lives to service of our country. We sometimes stay at the Air Force Academy Family Camp in Co Springs as guests of my sister, who is a widowed military spouse.
2004.5 GMC SLT CCLB, Ride Rites, Turbo brake, EFI Live
2012 Arctic Fox 29 5T 5th Airborne, B&W, Prodigy
Papillon navigators Lily, Buddy and Willow
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
6 years USAF...

Would be nice but as previously mentioned it would be a shame for folks like myself to crowd out Active and retired military members. I'm good with current policies.
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All MWR (Morale Welfare and Recreation) facilities are operated with the idea that profits will be returned to the system and support other MWR facilities for Active Duty members.

Because it just makes sense, many military campgrounds can be open to other than A/D and Ret members - it is a local decision. Yes, the A/D and Ret have priority, but it's not a black and white issue at all CG's.

It's worth a call to the FamCamp or Military CG you are interested in - to ask about their policy.

Plus iRV2's Military Forum is a good place to ask others for help about these facilities.
Military / Veteran RVing - iRV2 Forums

Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote