Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2003, 08:32 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I recently aquired a campgreound membership at Wilderness Presidential Resort near Fredricksburg, VA. I am interested in opinions or imoresiions (good, bad, indifferent) about this campground. I just got back from a week there and have mixed feelings, so I am interested in what other people have to say.

2001 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500 LB 2x4

2002 Rockwood M2710 Ultralight 5th Wheel

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2003, 08:32 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I recently aquired a campgreound membership at Wilderness Presidential Resort near Fredricksburg, VA. I am interested in opinions or imoresiions (good, bad, indifferent) about this campground. I just got back from a week there and have mixed feelings, so I am interested in what other people have to say.

2001 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500 LB 2x4

2002 Rockwood M2710 Ultralight 5th Wheel

Old 08-21-2003, 03:09 PM   #3

Hi Rick:

We make a habit of evaluating/rating every campground we utilize, and storing the information for just these occasions.

With the understanding that everyones' rating system and priorities are different, I'll just give you what we have. We stayed there for a week in July 2 years ago. Our average rating for ALL campgrounds is about about 6.5 on a scale of 10. We rate as follows:

Laundry - 1
Restrooms - 2
Sites - 3
Amenities - 2
Modem - 1
Location - 1

We rated this park at a 9.5, one of only 2 out of MANY. Here's why, from our notes:

Park is large, well maintained, state park like setting. Sites well spaced. Quiet, some shade trees at sites, park well wooded. Bathrooms/showers/laundry are an easy short walk. Trash receptacles located all over in the form of lined barrels and a dumpster available at the bathhouse. Tennis courts, pool, small store all located a 2 minute drive or a 20 minute walk from the end of the park. Modem available after 4 pm daily at the front gate. No insect problems, nice area for walking. A great place to stay.

Understand, that we much prefer settings like that, as opposed to the sterility we find in a paved, manicured, country club one. We stay in those parks as a result of memberships in several resort affiliations, but much prefer a more natural setting. One of the reasons that we gave this park such a high rating is that, for our tastes, this one is a perfect combination of amenities and setting.

Hope this helps, but things can change rapidly in this industry, and 2 years can be a long time. Hope they haven't changed too much. We'd like to get back there one of these days.

.\\ark

"Life is too short! We are traveling while we can."

[This message was edited by Chris & Mark on Thu August 21 2003 at 07:24 PM.]
Old 08-21-2003, 04:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Chris and Mark,

Nice information system.

So when are we going to see the "Chris&Mark-all's RV Life Guide to Campgrounds" on the shelf of our local bookstores. I'd give it a 2 thumbs up.

Mark & Leann Quasius
2003 Suncruiser 33V - Workhorse 20
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 07:02 PM   #5

Hi Cruzer:

We fulltime and workamp over the summers. We're currently Area Managers for 12 USFS camgrounds and 356 sites in the eastern Sierras in CA. This is our 2nd year here.

We are far more likely to title the book, "Unbelievable Things Campers Can Do To Mess Up Everyone's Day!". We've frequently said, "We should write a book". We may just do that!

Happy trails,

.\\ark

"Life is too short! We are traveling while we can."
Old 08-22-2003, 05:26 AM   #6

We stay there twice a year, in the spring and fall on our way to and from Florida. It is a great spot. And to up-date the great review above, they have added an indoor pool so even if it's cool the pool is great.
JimT

JimT
Old 08-22-2003, 01:50 PM   #7

I have been going to the wilderness for 6 years. Lots to do especially if you have kids. It all comes down to location. Some of the glens with a lot of the cabins can get a little noisy. I try to stay away from those. Across the back lake there are a lot of quite areas. Ride around and map out some for future reservations. This is what I consider my home camp. I got the membership used, so it wasn't a large cash outlay and now I can just show up and basically camp for free. I only missed 1 weekend last year and I will be leaving later tonite again. Fall afte school starts is really great and the fishing is unbelievable. Hope to see some of you fellow IRV2'rs out there sometime. It would be nice to see you guys in the flesh.

2001 Keystone Hornet 28B with slide. 1994.5 F350 4X4 crewcab longbed Powerstroke Diesel 5 speed 4.10's. Charlie ('65), Michelle ('69), CJ ('94), Jessica ('96) & Brianna the Millenium Baby.

2006 Volvo VNL42T630 465HP 1650ft/lbs. 12 speed Freedomline
themisfitking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 09:59 PM   #8
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Your opinion is welcome in these areas: But
advertising is against IRV2 s policy. Please remove the line from your post by tomorrow , or it will be deleted.

Thank You.