Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2019, 04:36 PM   #57

I understand...

I believe it's just not everyone's cup of tea. When my husband unexpectedly passed away 2+ years ago I sold our home and our 34 foot class A Pace Arrow. I was determined to buy something much smaller and just roam...wander the U.S. At 65 I am finally doing just that. I found a sweet 2013, 19ft Coachman Freelander class C. Truth is not many realize my dream, many see it as lots of work and avoidance of "life " I see it as finally living for me! My schedule, my time, my adventures. But, I've many friends and relatives who just think I'm stepping out of society. Perhaps I am. I've paid my dues, raised my children etc...I am simply very fond of adventures, of which there was little time or money for in my younger years. I hope you both find the joy of traveling and seeking adventures!
JRFWallis09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2019, 04:56 PM   #58

Send a message via AIM to jfkilduff
Went for 6 months last summer around the US what a great trip can’t wait to do it again Alaska soon we hope we both loved it
jfkilduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:07 PM   #59

I don’t think you mentioned WHY she doesn’t want to go for longer trips. Did you ask her, and if so, what was her response? It may be easier to arrive at a solution if you could accommodate her preferences. Please let us know what you decided. Good luck and God bless ��
swilkie53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:11 PM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
I’m a retired teacher. When school was out, the last thing I wanted to do was plan meals and shop for groceries and do up all the laundry and pack everything and then unload it all when we got back. I wanted to unwind and decompress a little while. Maybe allow her some down time first and then you take care of all the “stuff” so she can just go and enjoy the trip.
katiejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:12 PM   #61

I agree with going somewhere that will interest her but I'm wondering if its because she will still have to cook, clean, do dishes, laundry, etc. Not much of a fun vacation with chores. Maybe promise to wash all dishes and sit in laundry mat while she relaxes. Cook together can be fun too.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:16 PM   #62

450Donn hit it right
Old 06-09-2019, 05:17 PM   #63

I am also a teacher. We do NOT take weekend trips during the school year as I am just too exhausted. However, we are gone the week of Thanksgiving, most of Christmas break, Spring Break, and we leave tomorrow for seven weeks. We come back just in time for me to go back to work.

We didn't start out this way. We started with 2-3 weeks in the summer and now, I can't wait to go. Just be sure traveling isn't more work than staying home. Teaching is exhausting, but the planning of the summer trip gets me through the second half of the year.

Just be patient with her. Maybe plan trips that would enhance her teaching.

Gail
JoeNGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:18 PM   #64

Shorter Trips to Start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rver98 View Post
I need a little advise here. Hopefully sincere rather than jokes. I recently retired and it has always been my dream to travel and explore in the RV. My wife still works part time as a teacher and gets the summers off. It's like pulling teeth to get her to go away on a two or three week trip. We do go on weekend trips during the year, however I want to go on longer trips, like we did when the kids were younger.

What are your thoughts, suggestions, etc.?

Thanks
When you were younger, did you have an RV or is this something new? Does your wife know that it's always been your dream to take these longer trips? Maybe you could talk her into taking a "trial" 3-week trip. She might find she really enjoys it and then would then perhaps be more enthusiastic about doing it again. You could also ask her to talk to you about what her concerns are. Perhaps there are things you could do to allay those concerns.
BikesAndGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:20 PM   #65

Tread lightly and be patient

This is a very delicate and serious problem. You are only going to get a couple of chances to convince her and win her over in order for you both to enjoy longer RV trips in the future. All the comments were good and helpful. However I fell the most important thing here is to really communicate with each other and have a heart to heart talk about this issue. You have to pull on your best kid gloves and make sure you listen to her and be very understanding of her concerns, fears, interests and her vision of an enjoyable RV trip. Listen, listen, listen and don't try to come up with a lot of answers initially.
I would suggest you two continue to take shorter trips but perhaps more often.
I would suggest to get her involved in the planning of the trips. I really like to use RV Trip Wizard because its very visual and comprehensive and fun.
I would suggest that you do some fine dinning on these trips to impress her and breakup the camping routine.
I would suggest you should seek out some beautiful parks w/ lakes and views to camp to relax and enjoy each other. No rushing and hurrying to get here and there.
I think you have to listen, be patient, accommodating, and compromising and make the trips exciting and fun for both of you. Maybe and maybe little by little she will enjoy RVing with you. I think that's how you are going to win her over.

You have just retired, so what's the big hurry? What we have now is lots of time, so tread lightly and be patient. I think you will have many beautiful long trips ahead in your RV. Best of Luck!
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:21 PM   #66

You may want to take a look at this video:

Nathan and Melissa touch on a lot of things that are probably an issue with you and your wife.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:24 PM   #67
TWV

Fleetwood Owners Club
Why doesn't she want to go?

What does she want to do instead?

Answering these two questions could go a long way to determine your next course of action. Maybe she just wants to take the summer to relax after teaching and would be more willing to travel after she retires. Or does she not want to leave the children for a long vacation - which may mean that long trips with her are not in the foreseeable future.
TWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:33 PM   #68

Plan a one week trip. Do NOT drive long days, stay at nice places, plan ahead so she knows where she will be each night a day or two ahead. Eat some meals out. Do not boondock at first. Visit a few very nice places, make everything as comfortable as possible possible. Greet and meet your neighbors. Pretty soon your wife will enjoy the journey just like the rest of us. RVing is the very best when you best buddy is totally on board!
eng-rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:36 PM   #69

Start with a short trip in a nice rental if you haven’t purchased yet and stay at a nice resort. You can determine if you like it well enough to purchase and go alone from time to time or short trips with wife.
2blacklabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:38 PM   #70

Always bring toys & hobbies. One problem we all face is if we don't have what we need when out and about, is we can't wait to return home do play with hobbies and get paper work done. Make room, bring it all. Sewing machine, own long distance calling capability, own TV watching capability. No compromise will work. LISTEN to all concerns...
BarryHomer is offline   Reply With Quote