Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #15
I do not specifically look for KOA’s like I do not look for Jellystone Parks mainly because my DW and I do not need all the extra’s that these campgrounds tend to offer. If we are traveling with our Grandkids we do stay at KOA’s and Jellystone campgrounds but if we are alone we would bypass these more expensive options. That being said, we are currently staying at a KOA in Mackinaw City, MI and it is a good choice (very nice, well kept, nice staff, lots of extras) and the only campground that was available for the days we wanted to stay (8 days – mid-week to mid-week). If we come up here again we will try staying at Tee Pee Campground or the Mackinaw Mill Creek because they have a water view. If they were not available I would be happy to stay at this KOA again.

TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #16
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think the KOA map book makes finding and on road planning easy, so I've used KOA's quite a bit while traveling out West without an itinerary.
If I plan out a trip I tend to use state and federal/COE campgrounds due to cost and less cramped.
So I say yes, if they stay price competitive in the area, keep the grounds and staff nice for good reviews, going KOA can be a good move to get your campground noticed by travlers.

Tom and Amy from Northern Virginia.
2000 Allegro 454/Workhorse P32/TST/Crossfire
Life is a DIY project - enjoy it.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
We have never stayed at one, but have driven thru a couple just to see what they are about. To us, KOA stands for Kids Overdosed on Adrenalin, and that is not the environment we look for.

So to answer, KOA is a camping-dollar-repellant for us.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910
ISC on a Spartan
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I occasionally use KOA parks and have been satisfied each time I've used them, but I don't use them exclusively as they are prone to be $7 to 10 higher for a one night stay. You are normally getting for what you pay and I choose not to pay for what I'm not going to use. If it's going to be a stay of over three days, I'll pick one with more amenities like a KOA but if it's a pull in, get dinner, hit the sack for an early start I'll use most any reasonable looking park, KOA, GS or independent.
Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers (Sandy & Sassy)
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF, Retired, Life Member: VSPA, DVA, VVA, VFW
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #19
I find they are generally better than most. I've been in some "regular" RV parks that are dumps, and at least KOA's have some standards. I still check independent reviews and if the reviews are equal and the location is convenient, I'll pick a KOA.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm put off by KOA because of dog breed policy. The few I've called said NO to my GSDs.
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #21
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The name KOA does not scare me, I have stayed at a number of KOA's going all the way back to 1978 when brand new wife and I pitched out tent at a KOA near Niagra Falls for the traditional Niagra Honeymoon. (Yes, that is what we did) Still have same wife.

What scares me is the fact that the two KOA's near me a full hookup 50 amp site is $80/night and that is before they find things to add to that rate.

The cheap sites are 45

My MONTHLY dues in the membership CG I'm in now... 45

So 45 dollars a night for a tent site, or 45 dollars for 20 nights with 30 amps, water and sewer.. Now you know what scares me.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #22
National RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by athuddriver View Post
I'm put off by KOA because of dog breed policy. The few I've called said NO to my GSDs.
Interesting. We have sometimes been asked if we have dogs (yes), then the number of them but not breed. In other KOAs, never was asked.

Of course, the problem with dogs of any breed or size....the owners. One place, a person let their hyperactive Labradoodles run loose. The dogs main 'sin' was making all of the other dogs bark. Another place, the two large dogs were on tether, but it was long enough that the dogs could reach another campsite, where they did their thing but no one cleaned it up.

So it is unfortunate when thoughtless dog owners spoil things for other owners which would be good neighbors.

2 curbstone setters - Chuff and Rosie (mixed breed pound puppies)
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #23
Any port in a storm, but otherwise we generally don't use them.
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #24
We avoid KOA's, have only stayed in 2 in 6 years and then, only because there was nothing else. We stayed in one in VA last year off Hwy 81, it was poorly maintained. It badly needed mowing & weeding, the 50 amp plug smelled like it was burning, when reported to the workamper she could have cared less. They asked if we were going out, since we would need the gate code, which I would have to pay a $3.00 fee to get. The franchise fees must be humongous, why else would they charge so much for these dumpy cg's.
Jan & Thomas
2012 Drv Mobile Suite
2012 Ford F350 Super Duty
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #25

I agree with most, KOA's are over priced to start and then they start tacking on to that (sewer, cable, 50amp etc. . .). They are a last resort when we are looking for a place to stay. We are staying in a very nice park now for a month its nice, clean, concret pads and roadways has a beautiful lake, pool and clubhouse. Near by is a KOA it is run down, roads whats left of the asault has pot holes, gravel at best on some sites and it would only cost us $150.00 more a month to stay there above the price we are now paying. So if your friend has one of these types of RV resorts or Campgrounds go ahead and have him join the KOA's, that way we'll know to avoid it.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #26
We have had relatively good luck with KOA. We travel with three kids and a dog, and the KOA's usually have lots of amenities that appeal to us. Yes, they can be expensive, but they are usually worth it. Townsend, TN and Snake River, WY had some very beautiful sites backing right up to the river, which kept us happy, and pools and game rooms for the kids, which kept them happy. The staff has been very helpful, going as far as delivering a water hose to my site. Truly beneficial since I was camping without the wife and the kids each brought a friend! We were disappointed at Gulf Shores KOA, however. Service and site were both poor, so definitely learned to check reviews first!
Livin' the dream.
A T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #27
Tell your friend to pass on the too expensive KOA affiliation. Instead use Passport America, Escapees and Good Sam as advertisements. Most of all have a clean, well maintained, welcoming park and word of mouth and repeat guests will fill the campground.

We only stay at KOA when we don't have much choice. All the extra fees feels like a rip off--so annoying. One excellent KOA is Petoskey MI KOA
Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #28
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
We have stayed at OK ones and not OK ones. We don't look for them specifically. Don't feel the name is nessisarily associated with quality.
That's us too. I don't go looking for a campground because it's a KOA. Generally avoid them if possible as they are generally overly expensive.

Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote