Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #29

Quote:
We have had relatively good luck with KOA.
I like the idea that there is a certain standard the campground has to meet.
It wont be full of dead RVs and site maintenance at a satisfactory level.
(avoid the St.Pete Florida KOA)
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2012, 03:58 AM   #30

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka7suz View Post
Our experience at KOA's has been pretty good. Prices out here are competitive -- except for the one at Astoria OR. Twice the price of the Oregon State Park across the street - tv, wifi, and cellphone are not worth twice the price of the state park. We belong to several discount 'clubs' but don't shop for a place to stay based on any of them.

JoAnn
Spokane Valley WA
As luck would have it, that is the very one I was forced to stay at when I had an awning problem. State Park was full. I thought it was a total cash grab at the time but had little choice. The State park is popular at certain times of year, the CG knows it and keys on getting the overflow. The facilities were acceptable but nothing special. The fact that it was KOA made me wonder what the hype was all about. Certainly nothing about my stay there makes me think twice about looking for another.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:35 AM   #31

KOA Pet Policy

First off I am not a pet owner for my own reasons however I do have Granddogs that we dog sit from time to time so I am not a dog hater. I have read several posts that refer to KOA's pet policy as a reason why they do not stay at KOA's. I was interested in knowing how restrictive a policy they have so I checked it out and I provided a copy below for your reading enjoyment.

I do not find it restrictive but reasonable and a policy I would see in other campgrounds or other public places. Much of what I read has more to do with local law or their insurance policy when discussing some breeds of dogs.

I am not here to open up another discussion on how unfair it is to classify an entire breed a aggressive when some owners raise them to be aggressive and give the entire breed a bad name...I and others understand but that is not something that can be fixed on this forum.

KOA Pet policy is governed by individual KOA campground and it is not a blanket policy for all KOA's, it is based on their insurance and local law.

KOA Pet Policy:
Some visitors enjoy sharing the pleasures of camping with their dogs or cats. To ensure that all guests have a safe and enjoyable experience, KOA has established some guidelines.
Before You Go:
Call ahead. Check with the campground about its specific pet policies. Some don't allow pets in Kamping Kabins, for example, or may have limited pet units. Others don't accept particular breeds that insurance providers have identified as having a history of aggression.
Bring your helper. Service dogs are welcomed at all KOA Kampgrounds. (Leash and aggressive behavior rules apply.)
When You Arrive:
Good behavior is required. Dogs of any breed that are hostile or aggressive will be asked to leave the campground, along with their owners.
Bring the leash. Dogs must be kept on leashes no longer than 6 feet when outside their owners' vehicles or rental units. Do not leave a tethered dog unattended.
Remember manners. Constant barking bothers other campers. If your pet is too vocal, you'll need to find other accommodations
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:55 AM   #32

We find KOA's to be decent to good about 40 per cent of the time. Notably decent KOA's on out list include Blythe, California, Cortez, Colorado, Williams , Arizona and the one off I 40 by Elk City, OK was Ok. Biggest problems we see at KOA's is they are older parks that need the spaces expanded, leveled And the older trees trimmed! The nice thing is many times they are older parks with nice mature trees and they have character to them. The older KOA's are problematic for longer DP's with toads, the old shorter skinnier spaces just don't cut it. They really need to address this if they want DP's to rent spaces!
Largeandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:56 AM   #33

I am not discouraged by KOAs, but my wallet is.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #34

Forest River Owners Club
I avoid KOA because of their high prices. Most KOA's look nice, but you can usually find another campground (just as nice) for a lot less.

I would recommend for him to build his business by its own reputation. Word will get out if he has a nice park with good prices. Being a KOA will not help him in my opinion.

He can save the franchise fees an put it towards improvements.
RVBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #35

Thor Owners Club
I have never stayed at one as they always seem expensive and I have no need for frills. I prefer state or national parks.
David
floridaflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #36

Alamosa KOA

Stayed at Alamosa KOA last Saturday evening on the way to South Fork and it was very nice and well kept. Was somewhat pricey compared to the CG near South Fork but served our purpose well. As a rule, we have never had a problem with KOA.
barbaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #37

Per OP, yes I would be a little discouraged by KOAs much because of reasons listed already. Truth is, I just have not seen enough really nices ones, but it is good to read there are some out there.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #38

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
When travelling out of state we use KOA's almost exclusively. We travel with our 4 children. Yes, some are better than others with some being more high-end and others not so. As for pricing, they may be a few bucks more but we know that they have to meet at least minimum standards and ammenities. There have been a few occasions where the KOA was actually cheaper than the nearby competition. We have never been hit with add-ons, so I can't comment on that. I have watched one of their campgrounds going through an inspection and it seemed very thorough with 3 inspectors taking notes. I doubt private campgrounds have 3 inspectors making sure things are up to par.
One of the nicest was on the east side of Glacier Natl. Park, we were impressed.
windydaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #39

As I understand the highest priced KOA in Calif. ,if not the the west coast is the Watsonville KOA. Even in off season the prices are beyond reasonable. In the summer why are they so high(about $80 a night) Europeans!! You have Monterey Bay aquarium, Santa Cruz boardwalk, Frisco, etc. Evidence: all the El Monte Rents, Cruise America, etc. big money!! Build it they will come. Used to have the KOA discount card and use it exclusively only use it on rare occasions now. Worst experience was at Petaluma KOA about four years ago. It was packed, people going though our site, and others, to get to the rest rooms. Elderly couple next to us wouldn't complain so I did. Staff put up caution tape which caused animosity among the drunks! think we' ve all been there with I'll mannered campers. I can say they gave us a discount for the inconvenience. Would have rather had a pleasant overnight stay. By the way, the Watsonville KOA is about 15 miles from Santa Cruz. Watsonville is my hometown and get a little offended with KOA because they couldn't call it for where's it's located. Santa Cruz sounds a little more commercial than Watsonville KOA I guess. We've stayed many, many nights there especially during Christmas break and the News Years eve party. Way to expensive a drive from So Cal and the high fees now. Well said my piece for what it's worth.
So Cal Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I avoid them. Stayed in 3 and had bad experiences in all 3.

Question for the OP: I see the Dolphins as your avatar so I just have to ask, have you blacked out the windows on your RV and installed a periscope?
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:03 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Keep On Adding...is usually a last resort place to stop. Most are over priced and over rated.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:13 AM   #42

We tend to avoid the KOA's for the over pricing. However, we have stayed at a couple here and there that are quite nice. We try and look at campgroundreviews.com to see what past visitors have had to say about the park and then we make our decision based on the reviews, what the parks web site looks like, and how close it is to where we want to go. Also, while on rvparkreviews we can look at other parks in the area to see what they have to offer.

Tags
campground