Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #57
doc

Appalachian Campers
I talked to a guy who owned or ran a former KOA and he told us the franchise fee for KOA, along with their requirements and the economy caused him to drop their program. You know, their CG still had small sites. But, the prices were better.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
I will go out of my way to stay at ANY RV Park besides a KOA. I have heard too many horror stories about them in the past to ever consider staying at one.

There are way too many really great RV Parks to choose from across the US & Canada that have great facilities and reasonable rates.

Try using RV Park Reviews :: Home

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #59

We have stayed in manny KOA campgrounds over the years. We have had generally positive experiences at KOA's, have found the prices on par with other private campgrounds in the area.
Larry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #60

I am Work Camping and staying at a KOA right now. I've been here for several months and there's nothing really special about the place except it is close to where I am working.

The Monthly rate is reasonable and it suits my purpose, but I rarely us any of the aminities.

The "KOA" sign tells me there's at least a minimum standard, so when travelling I'll stay at a KOA if it's convenient, but I won't go out of my way. ... and even then it's just for the night. When on vacation a KOA is just a stop over, not a destination.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #61

Just stayed at a KOA in Estes park CO , I had my nephew with me and it worked well for him .
Think they cater towards young families
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #62

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are in the Carlsbad, NM. area Stay at the Carlsbad KOA. Large sites, clean, and nice folks. Like most of you, I have stayed in some good, some bad, but this one is great.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #63

Damon Owners Club
Yes, the KOA name discourages me from using their campgrounds. I have found them to be extremely overpriced and the facilities not worthy of the fees charged. I do not and will not use KOA.
howdja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #64

We stayed at a KOA in Westfield, NY that was wonderful. Level site, clean restrooms, hot shower, well maintained. The staff pointed out a public park where we could take the dogs running. The cost was comparable in the area and we got a discount for my husband being a firefighter.

We also stayed at a KOA in South Louisville, KY that was overpriced for the area with horrible roads, although the pull through site was exactly level.
TN Blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #65

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
We just complted a 4300 mile trip from NC to Glasier NP in Mt. We stayed mostly at KOA's on the way out. During the trip we visited 8 different KOA's. We also stayed at Good Sam's CGs.
One thing about KOA's that's a good thing (in my option). You most always know what you are getting. There are very few supprises. We did stay at a couple that were totally unsat (for a KOA and price payed).
We stayed at a few that were a zoo (Rushmore KOA example). I found that the KOA's are focused on the younger RVers with kids. The Good Sam's CG had an older group and the cg's were a lot more layed back. Facilities were about the same except for the kid games. We were only looking for CG's with a pool. Other stuff did not matter to us.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #66

Just traveled from CO west to CA coast , stayed at KOA most nights , they offer pretty consistent standards for a reasonable price , yes they are targeted at family's but you know what to expect when it's late and your tired
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #67

KOA

I first started RVing with my family in 1985 with a small 5th wheel. We traveled in Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota and Montana on a regular basis. We quickley found KOA's a must when traveling. The reputation of being friendly and clean was always found. I spent 20 years and 3 fifth wheels looking for KOA's. I found the Mount Rushmore KOA to be the most memorable for family outings as they always were clean and well kept up with lots of kids activities. As a family we found the Grand Canyon/ Williams KOA, Mesa/ Apache Junction KOA, Maple Grove Minnesota KOA and Billings KOA made for some of the best family vacations we had. This past year we sold our fifth wheel and purchased a motorhome. The wife, dog and I spent five weeks traveling through South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington and Oregon. We looked for KOA's every night as we knew that we would be getting a good value and were never dissappointed. Yes KOA's appear to be family orientated and we love it...
Khk4823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #68

The KOA at Butte MT is not too good. Crowded! Long distance to sewer connection, site not level, many washers not working!
Krashqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #69

Staying at KOA

We are on a 8000 mile trip around the USA. After seven weeks we have stayed at four KOA parks. Two were average parks, one was not acceptable. One was well above average. Beaver KOA on I-15 at Beaver, Ut. was well kept and very clean. The sites are spacious even for big rigs. The staff is friendly and helpful. We do not look for or avoid KOA parks but evaluate them as we travel and require a place to stop.

Walter Furniss
39' Discovery DP and Towd
Furniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #70

As some said, it depends on the owner. Traveling in the west the OR and WA state and county parks are hard to beat. The KOA just outside Santa Fe NM was fine as was the one in Barstow CA. Also the one in Moab UT. Mostly we only go to a KOA if we can't find something else when we are ready to stop for the day.
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground