Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
Freightliner Owners Club
Williamsburg This Week

Before the DW and I head in separate directions while I go on a Boy Scout trip later in July, we figured we'd better vacation together for a week.

On Saturday we head down to Williamsburg, VA staying at the American Heritage RV Park. Hit the village, the plantations on the James River and take the ferry to Tangier Island.

Older boys are staying home, youngest one is at Scout camp so we will be like Empty Nesters...or even better, newlyweds!

Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2009, 03:50 AM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
We are going in August again. Heritage ha done a great jon upgrading their park. So fill em in about The village??? and Tangier Island??

Lenny and Chrissy

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:25 AM   #3
Freightliner Owners Club
Down here now after some MH trouble on the way (that's a whole separate story...)

Colonial Williamsburg still has it's great charm. Have not been here in about 18 years so the Visitor Center was new to us. Also 18 years ago we were dragging 3 toddlers in a oversized stroller so DW and I were able to 'stroll' ourselves and do more of the tours through the palace and capital that we skipped last time. Although I'm not one for gift shops, there were a lot of unique colonial cooking items so DW bought wooden spoons, etc. Her favorite rolling pin for baking is one she bought here 18 years ago.

Tangier was a different story. I read all about the quaintness, friendliness, etc. I got the feeling that the locals are there to suck as much money out of you as they can in the 2.5 hours you are there. Sure their economy is in shambles over limits in crabbing, but it seems they could spruce the dock up and make it more inviting. Every gift shop had the same 'Made in China' souveniers. Nothing special about the famed crabs cakes other than being real greasy. IMHO, Tangier is at a crossroad and needs to make some improvements quickly in order to keep a flow of tourists coming.

We will be hitting the plantations today and tomorrow.
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers

I love Williamsburg, and especially American Heritage RV resort---this place is great-I was there 10 days Christmas and again 4--12 April 2009.they do put the money back in the place---no others will do that---that's why it's great.
rich in Va.
98 Bounder 34J-Chevy, 2 Saturns (toads)
2000 Casita 13 ft deluxe Towed by 1990 Chevy G20 Van Lifetime Good sam.
Lamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
While you are American Heritage, go up to the public library about a mile up the road. They have a great selection of used books for sale, you can get a lot cheap. Ane the campground is really great!!
Noel, Betty, one poodle, one greyhound
2005 Gulfstream Ultra Supreme 30' 07 HHR Toad
Noelj is offline   Reply With Quote