Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2016, 12:17 AM   #1

Wind River Scenic Byway in Wyoming

Traveling from Casper to Cody via US 20, part of which is called the Wind River Scenic Highway. We are in our gas Allegro 31sa with CRV toad. Does anyone have any experience with the downgrades or upgrades, tunnels or bridges on this route? Can we handle it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2016, 12:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBJR53 View Post
Traveling from Casper to Cody via US 20, part of which is called the Wind River Scenic Highway. We are in our gas Allegro 31sa with CRV toad. Does anyone have any experience with the downgrades or upgrades, tunnels or bridges on this route? Can we handle it?
Enjoy the drive.........

Watch out for Winds and Antelope

Old 05-18-2016, 08:33 AM   #3

Quote:
You should have no issue driving - just remember to stop when you want to look at the Mountains - just a great drive.

When you drive along the River between Thermopolis and Shoshoni (Wind River Canyon) see if it feels like the River runs Up-Hill! Just because of the grade of the road - the train tracks - the River flowing North - it always feels like the water is going UPHILL.

Might just be me.

On the South end of the Canyon there is a nice Camp Ground right on the River, Check it out.

BOL,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:26 AM   #4

We did it last year but I can't really remember the grades but it was a beautiful drive down the canyon and we even passed a train coming up the other side. The road through the canyon was a little curvy so be aware when they are coming. We actually went US-20 then WY-120 into Cody. Here is my blog post about the trip (Big Dude's Eclectic Ramblings: 2015 Western Trip – Days 8 & 9 - Onward To Cody) and I wish we had stopped in Meeteese, WY.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:51 AM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
Looks like there is 2 or 3 tunnels on the north end of the Boysen State Park, but I could not find any height information. Any ideas on clearances?
Old 05-18-2016, 11:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Looks like there is 2 or 3 tunnels on the north end of the Boysen State Park, but I could not find any height information. Any ideas on clearances?

My 5th wheel is 13'4".........

Don't remember ANY issues......and 5vr is still 13'4"
Old 05-18-2016, 01:28 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
No problems with those tunnels. They are BIG. Of all the routes into Yellowstone, the route you're doing is the easiest!

Stop in Thermopolis and take a dip in the hot springs. We'll be doing that route in July (and stopping for a dip) when we visit my son who is guiding kayak camping trips on Yellowstone Lake this summer.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:36 AM   #8

Many thanks to all who offered input. Actually made the drive today...really beautiful, grade not an issue. And just before Shoshone I pulled off next to a USPS trucker in his rig who was taking a break. He didn't remember the tunnel heights but assured me I could get through if he could. There is a sign at the tunnel...14' so all was well!
Old 06-08-2016, 09:55 PM   #9

Beautiful drive. No problem with my 12' 3" MH. and Buss you are right I was amazed at the water running uphill.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzensen View Post
Beautiful drive. No problem with my 12' 3" MH. and Buss you are right I was amazed at the water running uphill.
I'm not Crazy????????????????

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
You should have no issue driving - just remember to stop when you want to look at the Mountains - just a great drive.

When you drive along the River between Thermopolis and Shoshoni (Wind River Canyon) see if it feels like the River runs Up-Hill! Just because of the grade of the road - the train tracks - the River flowing North - it always feels like the water is going UPHILL.

Might just be me.

On the South end of the Canyon there is a nice Camp Ground right on the River, Check it out.

BOL,
Must be me too then. I'm always mesmerized with that illusion.
I always stop in Thermopolis to swim in the hot springs. There is a CG right on the highway in town that is very convenient.
Another feature than causes the illusion is the sedimentation markings on the stone cliffs
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:09 PM   #12

Quote:
There are some great views from the campground.