Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2014, 11:26 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Winter

Where is best place to go for the winter months, Texas, Florida, Arizona ? What Rv Parks are the Best and Best Monthly Rate? Thanks in advance !! (And when should you call to make Reservations ? )
We are pulling a 35 ft FW .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #2

SW. Arizona is good. Probably $400 per month or less. Call anytime. The sooner the better.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #3

We also love Arizona in the winter. Depending on what kind of camping you want - private parks, state parks or boondocking, you'll find many choices. All of the state parks would accommodate your 35' FW.

Elevation is the key for warmer temps in Arizona. The recommendation would be anywhere in the SW corner from Benson to Tucson or Amado and up to Phoenix/Mesa/Apache Junction (Lost Dutchman State Park is a winner and even has some full hookup spots). Then over to Lake Havasu area and all the way south of there to Yuma.

As far as reservations, now would be the time. Have a great trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:45 PM   #4

My husband and I spent this past winter in Mesa, AZ and the year before in Ft. Myers, FL. In Ft. Myers, we stayed at Gulf Water RV Resort & our rent was approx twice as much as Mesa. However I hate to compare apples to oranges! In Ft. Myers we were less than 4 miles from the beach which was great until Jan when all the snow birds arrived and then there was a very long line that sometimes stretched for miles to cross the Mantanza Bridge. However there were a couple of options to driving. There was a bus stop just a short walk from the resort with shuttles than ran every 20 mins or so. You could also ride your bike, but you had to get off and walk them across the bridge. A great way to get some exercise. The park had nice amenities including clean shower house, laundry room, pool, hot tub, Tiki Hut, Pickle Ball courts, a couple of ponds and a very nice club house that you could reserve & use for free if they didn't have other activities planned. There were several activities, but most didn't start until Jan. The temps were quite moderate for the most part.

In Mesa, we stayed at Mesa Regal RV Resort which is considerably larger than Gulf Waters! They have around 2000 spaces and many have park models on them. They have 3 swimming pools, 2 hot tubs, a bar & grille, laundry room, hair salon, a very nice exercise room, REALLY nice tennis courts as well as bocce ball and rolle bolle courts. They had weekly dances and there were so many activities that it was hard to make choices. The month of Dec was cloudy, rainy and cool, but Jan - March the weather was ideal. Night time temps were typically 20 degrees or more cooler during the day. We stayed until mid April and the day time temps were getting up in the 100's by then.

One factor that affected me more than it would most - in Ft. Myers there were more healthy food choices than in Mesa. I have multiple food allergies and the restaurants in Mesa were not as accomodating. Also in Ft. Myers, we went to the nearby farmers market every week where fresh seafood was available as well as fresh produce.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-26-2014, 07:23 PM   #5

Winter

We move often. More fun that way!

We follow the good weather. Our goal: not hot nor cold.

Last winter, Colorado and North Rim of the Grand Canyon in September, the Prescott AZ area in October, Tucson in November/December, Yuma in Jan/Feb, Benson on March. Then it got too warm.

And it was all found on rvparkreviews.com and the monthly weather averages per location on weatherchannel.com.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:49 PM   #6

Sounds like a great plan CampDaven!!! We did a work camper gig in Mesa, otherwise, we might have been on the move too! We did manage to escape to Flagstaff for a week at our time share the end of Oct, the 1st weekend in Feb we went to Tucson to visit with some friends who were there visiting from MN & the 3rd week in Feb we spent 3 days at a B & B near Benson for my husbands b'day. Was more than ready to leave Mesa by April 1. : )

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 06-27-2014, 12:42 AM   #7

We keep moving, life is too short to stay in one place too long. With that being said we will be all over florida this year. Last year was CA, NV, AZ and TX.

As far as places to park we also tend to mix that up, we will be spending an expensive month in Key West this year, last year we bartered for a months stay on someone's land in Tucson. Personally we don't really like wintering in AZ, we find it drab and boring but others love it. Only you can know what is right for you.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:54 AM   #8

Winter

Yes, everyone has their druthers.

We found so much to see and do in AZ that there is enough left to see for several more seasons. The desert, mountains, off-road trails, museums, galleries, local foods, concerts, on and on.

Here is a taste:
http://davenola.blogspot.com/search?...date=false&m=1

CA, NV, and NM will provide decades of adventure for us!

We do not golf and sand/surf/sun do not have enough allure to keep us in FL for more than a short time. And heat/humidity is the enemy of arthritis.

Lots of folks love FL and the gulf coast areas. They seem to be more socially active with dances, crafts, games, etc. We get into a bit of that in AZ resorts, but fill most of our time with adventures.

Happy trails!

Old 06-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
CampDaven , did u have any trouble finding a place to stay or did u call ahead and reserve a spot at rv park?
Old 06-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetl82 View Post
CampDaven , did u have any trouble finding a place to stay or did u call ahead and reserve a spot at rv park?

I reserve my first stay about 2 months ahead. The rest I reserve a week or two ahead as we go. Sometimes we call the day before. Sometimes the best plan is no plan.

Places we liked:

http://www.sundance1rv.com

http://deserttrailsrvpark.com

http://www.patoblancolakes.com

The AZ state parks are nifty. Especially: http://azstateparks.com/Parks/PIPE/

Happy trails!

Old 06-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #11

How is Pioneer Park outside Phoenix. I understand there is a shooting range next door ??
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:16 AM   #12

Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
How is Pioneer Park outside Phoenix. I understand there is a shooting range next door ??
Yep. Have not been there.

http://rvparkreviews.com/view_campgr...sort-(55+-park)

http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ben_avery.shtml

Old 06-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
This is a wonderful thread, thank you OP! I was going to post a similar question but found so many answers here. We ae first time RV'rs although not FT. Trying to decide our winter options...have a chance at a terrific price for a 4 month (Oct-Jan) stay at Towerpoint in Mesa with our pickleball friends, but I hate to commit that long for a place we've never seen.
Other places, that I can't remember the names! have an RV pad plus a "shed" with AC, laundry, etc. Obviously more expensive, but provides a break from the MH and more "moving around" room.
Thanks again for all the tips, I'll look up the review site
parsoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I have found (IMO) through travel to many places that it is mainly your attitude that will let you enjoy (or not) the place you currently are at. You have to look around and find the things you enjoy. Every place will have places with great views, things to do, entertainment, etc. You just have to keep an open mind, look around and find it.

Some places are better suited to what we like than others.

Tags
winter