Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2018, 04:02 PM   #1

Winter in Arizona

We're heading out this fall going first to the Pacific NW and then planning to work our way south through Cali. We were hoping to find a good place to spend a month or two in Arizona for some R&R and a little sightseeing, preferable near Tucson or possibly Phoenix. Problem is we're having trouble finding a park that we'd want to spend that much time in.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
bubbiebecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2018, 04:29 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I live in the Phoenix area.

Phoenix, Mesa, Casa Grande, Tucson are all places that have plenty of RV campgrounds. Spend a month or two may be a problem as everything fills up for the winter quickly as the snowbirds arrive in November and don't leave until end of March or April.

Spending a month depends on what you like to do.
If you are coming in from southern California heading back east these are some suggestions to stop and enjoy.

Las Vegas NV - Hoover Dam

Williams AZ - I-40 to the Grand Canyon Railway RV Park. Great campground and you can ride the railroad to see the south rim of the Grand Canyon. You can drive but the RR is a great day trip with bus tours of the sites along the south rim.
RV Park Location | Grand Canyon Railway & Hotel

Sedona AZ is a beautiful stop over.
Red Rock State Park near Sedona has a nice campground

Tucson AZ has lots to see and do. Old Tombstone and other western stuff.
Suggestion for campground if you are over 55.
Ricon Country West Campground just south of Tucson off of I-10

From there east you have not much until you hit El Paso and San Antonio Texas.

Now you can head north to
Albuquerque NM for the balloon festival in Oct I think.
Then to Amarillo TX to Oklahoma City and I guess you pick your way home.

So this give you a few suggestions as I have Rv and stayed many places on that route.

If you want spend the two months like you said I would suggest Palm Spring Ca if you can get in.

RV Resort in Mesa AZ east of Phoenix is my next choice but those places fill up quickly. They do have lots to do at those Mesa Resorts and you are still close to Phoenix.

Hope this helps you a bit.
If you need more details just ask.

Iggy
IggyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:34 PM   #3

Pleasant Harbor RV park at Lake Pleasant is nice and it gets you out of town and away from the crowds.

https://pleasantharbor.com/rv-resort/
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:23 PM   #4

Why, in your search, are you not finding a park you'd want to stay?

What are your requirements? Activities? RV park or a public park? Give us some help so we can give recommendations.

Also, it's not like you have to spend every hour in the park. There are plenty of things outside to keep you busy. What do you like to do?

Personally, I'd recommend the wonderful state parks in Apache Junction & Tucson or the Maricopa County parks in the greater Phoenix area. Don't commit to one park without seeing it. Public parks allow up to 2 weeks. Move around.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:39 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Problem is we're having trouble finding a park that we'd want to spend that much time in.
Trouble finding a place that meets your standards, or simply finding a place for a month??

In the Phoenix area there are hundreds of RV parks, Plus several great regional campgrounds..

If you plan on snow-birding, you need to do reservations NOW.. We make our reservations a yer in advance, and we also like to stay a couple weeks at White Tank mountain regional park, We do that one six months in advance.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:52 AM   #6

So, thanks for everyone's input and, more questions than answers.

1. I think my eastern bias is getting in the way so I'm trying to get a sense of what those of you who are familiar with Arizona consider to be good. I've camped up and down the east coast, not in the west, yet. I'm used to spacious sites surrounded by trees. I don't expect trees necessarily but some of the sites we've seen are little more than parking spots between other sites or park models. Rincon Country East looks nice and has a space available for us but the slot - and I do mean slot - is so narrow between two park models that I'm not sure we can fit our rig and truck with room to open our awning. Even so, the truck will be parked on the patio so we'll probably have to park the truck in the overflow parking area, if there is space there. It's not too far away so not the end of the world but we use the truck for extra storage so it's a little inconvenient.

2. I do know that it's best to make reservations a year in advance for an extended stay but we didn't know 8 months ago that we would be doing this. That's why we're doing it now.

3. Yes, it's ideal to see a place first before making a commitment but we don't have that luxury. I know we won't be sitting in the campground all the time but we will have been on the move for almost 4 months at that point and we're looking for a good place to rest for a while. Some of our days we like to just hang out, read and relax with our dog. If the park has planned activities, fine and maybe we'll participate if there is something interesting. There are a lot of activities in and around Tuscon that do interest us and it seems like the winter weather is about perfect so that's why we picked it. Phoenix is our second choice but it seems a lot bigger city. Tuscon gives us the right mix of the kinds of activities we're interested in but not so big.

4. In choosing a place remotely I look at reviews. There are always some good and some not so good which is why I'm turning to this friendly community for trusted recommendations.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:45 AM   #7

From your description of what you're expecting, I'd highly suggest in Tucson Catalina State Park and for Phoenix Lost Dutchman State Park and any of the Maricopa County Regional Parks. You can only stay 2 weeks at each but moving around isn't all that bad - different things to do and different views.

Yes, the 'snowbird' states have parks that are full of Park Models on a parking lot. We also dislike that kind of atmosphere so we use public parks. Those above are our favorites and we've volunteered at Lost Dutchman - a beauty.

https://azstateparks.com/

https://www.maricopacountyparks.net/...ities/camping/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:19 PM   #8

Thanks for the help

Thanks everyone for all the help. We're booked into the Lazy Days KOA for February. While there we'll look around at other places. It works out great because DH is an avid bridge player and there happens to be a regional tournament in Tucson while we're there.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:52 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
The first couple years we went out west, we'de reserve for a couple days, maybe a week. Then we would explore the differnet parks, campgrounds, boondock sites, etc..

We've found places that we really like, so we make sure to now reserve early.. We used to stay at Phoenix Metro Park, This will be our first year where we'll stay long term at Cotton Lane then move over for a few weeks at White tank before we hit the road for a month with no particular place to go , no plans, we just kind of go..

After a few years, you'll find places that you like and then start making long term plans..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:27 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for getting my rear in gear to make reservations at White Tanks Regional Park! Got a nice reservation for early February to follow 2-3 weeks at Quartzsite. Note they are already filling up.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:11 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
Thanks for getting my rear in gear to make reservations at White Tanks Regional Park! Got a nice reservation for early February to follow 2-3 weeks at Quartzsite. Note they are already filling up.
LOL

That is just up the road from me and will see you in Quartzsite
Old 08-12-2018, 08:12 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbiebecker View Post
Thanks everyone for all the help. We're booked into the Lazy Days KOA for February. While there we'll look around at other places. It works out great because DH is an avid bridge player and there happens to be a regional tournament in Tucson while we're there.
Lazy Days now has covered parking under the Solar panels.
Busy park but nice
Old 08-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbiebecker View Post
Thanks everyone for all the help. We're booked into the Lazy Days KOA for February.
We've stay there a few times and found it to be clean and orderly. There are fruit trees on each site as well. There is a lot to do in the area.

Pima County Air and Space Museum is an example.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:22 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
This will be our 4th year spending all of January at the Lazy Days KOA in Tucson. We love it there. We arrive around Jan 10th and leave Feb 10th. Great RV park and lots to do in the area. The weather is pretty much perfect in Jan/Feb.

PS. It’s unlike any KOA you’ve been to in the past.

Tags
arizona, winter