Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2014, 04:37 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Winter in Fla

We take delivery of our new motorhome hopefully end of June. We will be full timing for the first time. Would like to be in Fla for Jan and Feb of 2015 and I would like to make reservations for 1-3 campgrounds now. Looking for suggestions. Must be able to accommodate 43" coach.

Thanks
Roy and Bonnie
2015 Anthem DEQ (on order)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
Lit

National RV Owners Club
This is the site I use when I decided where I was going to stay when in Florida. Reviews of RV Parks and Campgrounds - RV Park Reviews

Lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravens2012 View Post
We take delivery of our new motorhome hopefully end of June. We will be full timing for the first time. Would like to be in Fla for Jan and Feb of 2015 and I would like to make reservations for 1-3 campgrounds now. Looking for suggestions. Must be able to accommodate 43" coach.

Thanks
Roy and Bonnie
Where do you want to visit in Florida?
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:02 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ravens2012,
Congrats on your new coach. I'm not sure how much experience you have with Florida in the winter. No matter what you choose, get reservations immediately. Consider these choices:

1. Sunshine Key at mile marker 39 in the Keys. 39 miles from Kew West. There is quite a lot to do both north and south of the resort. Go to Sunshine Key RV Resort & Marina | Encore RV Resort in Florida Keys and take a look.

2. Any place along I4 in central Florida. Consider The Great Outdoors (TGO). Go to Florida RV Resorts | Central Florida RV & Golf Resort - The Great Outdoors and take a look. From Tampa to Daytona there is more to do than one can imagine.

3. In north Florida consider two choices:
a. North east Florida there is Stage Coach RV Park at Home it is near St. Augustine.

b. North West Florida consider Googling pensacola florida rv parks. There will be several choices. This area has the Blue Angels for their pre season practicing. The Navel Air museum. And don't forget to go to Mobile, Alabama. Along I10 there is a air and ship museum. Battleship, B52 and more. It is a nice day trip.

This provides something in south, central and north Florida.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:47 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Go to the Keys, if you want warm Florida weather! Ditto, Sunshine Key. Stayed there for the last few years.
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Florida is a big state. What are your interests? Give us an idea as to what budget you'd like to meet.

While any part of Florida will be much warmer than our native Wisconsin on any given January day, we generally suggest you draw a line roughly from Titusville on the east coast to Tampa on the west and stay somewhere on or below that line for the maximum "shorts & T-shirt" days. Above that line there are a few areas that will consistently be 10 to 15 degrees colder than we'll be just south of Orlando, especially in the early morning. This fact is not a secrete, thus the other Florida rental phenomenon, the monthly rates will seemingly increase a couple dollars for every foot south of that line for similar quality/amenities offered.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #7

iRV2 No Limits Club
You are smart to start considering reservations at this time of year. It is busy in the winter.

Florida is the 22nd largest state. It a wide variety of locations to explore.

Campground rates vary from about $350.00 per month to over $2,000.00 depending on location and amenities.

In general, the further south and the closer to either ocean (Atlantic or Gulf) you get, the more expensive the site costs.

I-4 which runs basically east-west across the state is generally accepted as the "frost line" south of that, frost is a rear occurrence in winter.

Hope this helps in your search.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:29 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
The closer to the water and the farther south you go, the more expensive. We also winter in the Keys but you do pay dearly for it compared to somewhere we might not be able to wear shorts and flip flops all winter
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:40 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
As we are new to full timing and the coach will not be delivered until late June I am just trying ti figure out the location for Jan and Feb 2015 so I can make reservations. We want to be pretty warm for the winter so I guess south of Orlando is what we hope for. We do want to try the Gulf coast. Not sure of the cost but I do not think we want to spend more that $1500-$1800 per month.
Thanks
for your help.

Roy and Bonnie
Old 04-27-2014, 07:10 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Depends on what kind of weather you like during those months. If you like the "feel" of winter, stay north of the town called "Frostproof". If you want tropical winters, stay south of Frostproof. Be advise, the price doubles as the majority want that area as well. There is a Florida for every budget and none of it has snow, ice or sleet. Welcome, and please spend while you are here, our economy is depending on you.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:15 AM   #11

With $1,500-$1,800 a mo. available you won't have a problem finding a very nice place to stay. I'd be looking now because many places get a lot of res. early. We already have our spot reserved for Jan.- Mar.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I agree, with that budget you should have no problem, as long as you make that reservation as soon as you can. The nice/popular parks fill up after the 1st of January.

While we've not been here, friends have and they've said good things about it. It's just one of many that would seem to meet your criteria.

Myakka River Motorcoach Resort
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:43 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Become work Rv'ers. Work a few hours a week for you stay.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #14

Mobile

Just to add to what GaryKD said, Mobile has a lot of beautiful architecture and it's own Mardi Gras parades. Without the number of excesses of N. O. Bob T

Tags
winter